Apple Watch Pro renders illustrate Digital Crown protrusion & more

Posted:
in Apple Watch edited September 2022
A new leak purports to show a complete series of CAD renders for the expected Apple Watch Pro, believed to be revealed at Apple's iPhone 14 event.

Following photo leaks of production third-party Apple Watch Pro cases, a new report shows a series of renders said to have come from "industry sources" -- likely meaning case manufacturers.

These new Apple Watch Pro CAD renders show a larger display than is expected for the regular Apple Watch Series 8. It's estimated to be a 49mm display size, compared to the 45mm of the Series 7.

Renders showing each side of the Apple Watch Pro (Source: 91mobiles)
Renders showing each side of the Apple Watch Pro (Source: 91mobiles)

A highlight of the renders is the protrusion around the Digital Crown. It's not clear what that's for at this time.

The renders come from the site 91mobiles, which in August 2021 showed Apple Watch Series 7 designs that turned out to be incorrect. A supposition at the time was that these flat-edged designs, mentioned in other leaks, could be early versions of the Series 8.

The renders do appear to match the third-party protective cases that were previously leaked. Those previous leaks presumed that the left side of the Apple Watch Pro would have two new physical buttons, however, where these renders show one plus a newly-positioned speaker grill.

Bloomberg writer Mark Gurman has now said that these renders are accurate.

This is indeed it https://t.co/ZQj7yDGHVI

-- Mark Gurman (@markgurman)

Other recent rumors have predicted that an Apple Watch Pro would be sold for $900 or more.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    A highlight of the renders is the protrusion around the Digital Crown. It's not clear what that's for at this time.
    Satellite antenna!
    tht9secondkox2lolliverwatto_cobraradarthekat
  • Reply 2 of 8
    omasouomasou Posts: 611member
    Current Apple designs are really demonstrating the value that Jonny Ives brought.

Oh, we need more room for ...., we'll just add an ugly bump to the side that when folk bend their wrist backwards jabs them.
    caladanianradarthekat
  • Reply 3 of 8
    thttht Posts: 5,606member
    Hmm, that looks a like a rather complicated case to make, with a lot of compound curvatures where you can't use a simple CnC tool to mill out the edge. They'll need to do multiple tools and passes at it. And, even if it was poured into a mold, polishing it would be difficult too with lots of nooks and crannies.

The heart sensor also sticks out more than that. They need to have it stick out to ensure great contact with the skin. So, a strange looking beast. Will be interesting to see it. Or, perhaps Apple has pulled off another rumor-burning Apple Watch rumor like they did with the flat-edged Watch rumor last year.

This is also the second year in row for satellite connectivity, so a two-for rumor set with the Apple Watch Pro with both a new case design and satellite connectivity, both of which could be planted rumors to burn leakers.
    doozydozenlolliverwatto_cobraFileMakerFeller
  • Reply 4 of 8
    JFC_PAJFC_PA Posts: 945member
    omasou said:
    Current Apple designs are really demonstrating the value that Jonny Ives brought.

Oh, we need more room for ...., we'll just add an ugly bump to the side that when folk bend their wrist backwards jabs them.
    I’ve a Rolex dive watch with a similar protrusion protecting the crown: it never digs in. Unless your wrist is broken you just don’t bend that way. Lol
    StrangeDayslolliverwatto_cobradewme
  • Reply 5 of 8
    JFC_PA said:
    omasou said:

I’ve a Rolex dive watch with a similar protrusion protecting the crown: it never digs in. Unless your wrist is broken you just don’t bend that way. Lol
    Yeah despite this being "confirmed" it's still only rumor right now. And as usual the real product always makes more sense than the leaks -- I'm old enough to recall the now-heralded iPhone 4 leaks looked so rough that people said "No way!". But way. And it was good. 

Just gotta wait & see. At this point, Apple has earned my benefit of the doubt many times over.
    lolliverwatto_cobraFileMakerFellerradarthekatfreeassociate2dewme
  • Reply 6 of 8
    FYI, there is actually a horological term for the "protrusion."

They're called crown guards, and common on tool (functional) watches, like divers.
    watto_cobraFileMakerFellerfreeassociate2roundaboutnow
  • Reply 7 of 8
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,442member
    It is Fatty Nano all over again.

• Reply 8 of 8
    JFC_PA said:
    omasou said:

Yeah, definitely have to disagree. With the crown facing the wrist on either hand it gets pushed constantly if you do any sort of work with your hands, wear any kind of protective gloves/sleeves, or do any amount of climbing or bracing that bends the wrist. I’ve experienced it myself and seen it happen to dozens of other people. You’re just strangle lucky I guess.

(I was gonna fix the typo, but it made me laugh, so I left it.)
    edited September 2022 marklark