Brazil stops iPhone sales until Apple includes an AC charger

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 35
    Why not just include a charger in the purchase for those who request one, and for others who don’t need one, no charger required. 
    Bingo

If you need one, here you go. 

Don’t need one?  Thank you and have a nice day. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 35
    entropys said:
    I would have more sympathy for Apple if on launch, the price of the iPhone fell by the value of the charger.
    What is the color in your world?

BTW, doubt Apple cares, wants or needs your sympathy. No one is forcing people to buy an iPhone and seems after all these years other  companies can't figure out how to develop a better mouse trap.

The best anyone will get is the obsoleted Apple 5W USB Power Adapter. Value of that's rich.  :p
    baconstangwatto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 35
    I like that people think Apple saved a ton of money on the decision to not include a charger and should have passed on the savings. Really, is other costs could have increased, making no savings at all. Last charger was what, the 5W USB-A that a lot of people hate? For how many people complain how underpowered and overpriced Apple’s products are, there is a lot of complaints about not including their chargers. Heck, you can get third party chargers that were smaller, multi-port, and higher power, but we want to push Apple to include theirs? It is 2022 and Apple hasn’t included chargers since 2020, are we really saying people haven’t gotten a charger or computer or something with a USB-C port to charge the phone by now? To keep including chargers at this point is stupid as there is a ton in drawers. Many Android phones don’t include chargers. 
    baconstangwatto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 35
    I like that people think Apple saved a ton of money on the decision to not include a charger and should have passed on the savings. 
    I heard that the cost to Apple for the 5W charger was around twelve cents (I have no idea how accurate that is but their cost was surely significantly less than they charged). People who expected the price of the phone to go down by the amount Apple charged at retail for the 5W charger were fooling themselves or just trying to start a fire. 

If the cost really was twelve cents then that could easily have been erased by one component going up in cost by a small amount. 
    baconstangwatto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 35
    Apple is appealing the ruling. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 35
    Brazil wants those chargers, not for landfill, but to replant all the amazonian rainforest they clearcut...Yeah!  That's the ticket.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 35
    davidwdavidw Posts: 2,094member
    Why not just include a charger in the purchase for those who request one, and for others who don’t need one, no charger required. 
    That would depend on whether there's an extra charge for the iPhone purchasers that request a charger. If there is, then that's the same as not including a charger with the iPhone.

But if the charger is separate but still at no cost, then nearly everyone will request the charger. So Apple would be better off packaging the charger with the iPhone, rather than incurring the cost to package it separately. That would make it even less environmentally friendly.

When at no cost, its not like the iPhone purchasers are getting something completely useless, for free. Plus they will think they paid for it anyway, with their iPhone purchase. Even if they were handing out coupons for a free burger and fries at a McDonalds, a vegan would still take advantage of the free coupon and give it to a non-vegan friend or a homeless person.   
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 35
    omasou said:
    Brazil put a price on wokeness, good.

Apple is so concerned about the environment they don't include a charger or earphones in their $1,000+ devices. 

At the same time, they make products that can't be repaired and need to be replaced wholesale. Example my XS face ID crystal broke, turns out, that cannot be fixed or replaced. At all. Not by Apple or anyone else. Either you use the phone without, or you throw it away. 

What @wood said is a simple solution but Apple won't do that because they're hypocrites. Apple used to be a good company under Steve Jobs - at that time, critics were saying the same thing. Back then they were not right. Today they are.

I also don't think the environment argument has merit - let's say Apple ships 1000x less chargers, OK, fair enough, but people are going to buy 100x more 3rd party chargers, most of which are way more polluting than what Apple is making in its closely monitored factores, and some of these 3rd party chargers will destroy the iPhones, leading to more waste. i think in the end nothing will have been saved. Except the carbon neutral rating, congratulations, hypocrites! 

wood1208 said:
    Price for Brazil iPhone by default includes charger. If someone don't want it than give deduction/rebate for charger in final price on invoice.

You can always switch to Android. Perhaps the grass is greener over there /s
    What is your point? There is no logic in what you suggesting. He wants iPhone with charger - not Android. Can  you have better, more mature recommendations?

For the record, I switched to Android 3 years ago... for reason of Apple and individuals like yourself arrogance. Listening pays off, poor quality screen that does not respond to drier older person finger tips does not. LG at the time defeated both Apple and Samsung with of model I bought. Now, I hear Apple is going to use those LG displays. Well too late for me. I will consider all smartphone options and not only iPhone.
    It is absurd that one of the reasons you switched from Apple to Android is Apple fans. That really beggars belief. It's fine if you didn't like the devices and you switched, but if one of the reasons is Apple fans, then it's like cutting off your nose to spite your face. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 35
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,056member
    Who cares about included chargers nowadays? If I need to buy a charger, I’ll get the Anker, smaller but a lot more powerful .
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 35
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    davidw said:

Even if they were handing out coupons for a free burger and fries at a McDonalds, a vegan would still take advantage of the free coupon and give it to a non-vegan friend or a homeless person.   
    That very much depends on the vegan and their reason for being a vegan.
    JP234watto_cobra
  • Reply 31 of 35
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,598member
    omasou said:

Apple is so concerned about the environment they don't include a charger or earphones in their $1,000+ devices. 

At the same time, they make products that can't be repaired and need to be replaced wholesale. Example my XS face ID crystal broke, turns out, that cannot be fixed or replaced. At all. Not by Apple or anyone else. Either you use the phone without, or you throw it away. 

What @wood said is a simple solution but Apple won't do that because they're hypocrites. Apple used to be a good company under Steve Jobs - at that time, critics were saying the same thing. Back then they were not right. Today they are.

I also don't think the environment argument has merit - let's say Apple ships 1000x less chargers, OK, fair enough, but people are going to buy 100x more 3rd party chargers, most of which are way more polluting than what Apple is making in its closely monitored factores, and some of these 3rd party chargers will destroy the iPhones, leading to more waste. i think in the end nothing will have been saved. Except the carbon neutral rating, congratulations, hypocrites! 

wood1208 said:
    Price for Brazil iPhone by default includes charger. If someone don't want it than give deduction/rebate for charger in final price on invoice.

The top Samsung phones don’t have a charger either. Neither do a number of other Android phones. I suppose you didn’t know that.
  • Reply 32 of 35
    melgross said:
    omasou said:

wood1208 said:

The top Samsung phones don’t have a charger either. Neither do a number of other Android phones. I suppose you didn’t know that.
    He know that. That is why he put the tag /s for sarcasm at the end of his post. Probably, you missed to notice that.
  • Reply 33 of 35
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,479member

If I had the choice I would choose no charger or cable since I have plenty of both already. However, my BIL just switched to an iPhone and needed to purchase both separately. 
    Your BIL is fibbing to you a bit. There's no "wall wart" in the box, but I can confirm that all iPhones still come with a charging cord. Perhaps he meant that the charging cord that came with it doesn't use old tech like USB-A, so he had to retrograde that.

EDIT: missed the post where you explained. There's a sucker born every minute, think salespeople ...
    edited September 2022
  • Reply 34 of 35
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,598member
    melgross said:
    omasou said:

wood1208 said:

He know that. That is why he put the tag /s for sarcasm at the end of his post. Probably, you missed to notice that.
    That’s not a universal tag for sarcasm. And no, it didn’t notice it.