Comments

• Reply 41 of 48
    tmay said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:

Micron, Nvidia lead semiconductors higher as GOP warns Apple, Biden visits Intel plant

http://https//seekingalpha.com/news/3881724-micron-nvidia-lead-semiconductors-higher-as-gop-warns-apple-biden-visits-intel-plant?mailingid=29005114&messageid=2900&serial=29005114.14669&source=email_2900&utm_campaign=rta-stock-news&utm_content=link-3&utm_medium=email&utm_source=seeking_alpha&utm_term=29005114.14669

Micron Technology (NASDAQ:MU) and Nvidia (NASDAQ:NVDA) were among the top gainers in the semiconductor industry on Friday as Republican lawmakers warned Apple (NASDAQ:AAPL) over the potential use of memory chips from a controversial Chinese company and President Biden visited Intel's (INTC) new plant in Ohio.

Apple (AAPL) has been warned by Republican lawmakers that it will face additional scrutiny from Congress if the tech giant obtains memory chips from Yangtze Memory Technologies for the iPhone. 

Senator Marco Rubio, the vice chair of the Senate intelligence committee and Michael McCaul, a Representative from Texas on the foreign affairs committee, were surprised when they saw media reports that Apple (AAPL) was looking at obtaining chips from Yangtze Memory Technologies for the iPhone.

"Apple is playing with fire,” Rubio said in an interview with the Financial Times. "It knows the security risks posed by YMTC. If it moves forward, it will be subject to scrutiny like it has never seen from the federal government. We cannot allow Chinese companies beholden to the Communist party into our telecommunications networks and millions of Americans’ iPhones."

At the time, Seeking Alpha reported that such a tie-up could be met with criticism due to the Chinese company's connections with the Beijing government.

Cupertino, California-based Apple (AAPL) told the FT it does not use chips from Yangtze Memory Technologies in any product, but added that it was "evaluating sourcing from YMTC for NAND chips to be used in some iPhones sold in China."

LOL!

I'm not sure what your point is, but I'm in agreement that Apple needs to recreate a majority of its supply chain, and assembly operations, outside of China, and better sooner, than later.

Realistically, Apple can do that, but would probably need to use Chinese companies anyway. Just off Chinese soil. 

And when China becomes self sufficient in chip production Apple may find it difficult to resist the lower costs that will surely result. Remember, no one doubts China will reach it technological goals. The only question is 'when'. 

Of course, the further Apple moves assembly from China, the more likely it is that China could ban it from the mainland (a threat that has never gone away).

It isn't an easy situation for Apple to be in. It is treading a fine line. 
    "No one doubts that China will reach its technological goals"

Remember when I stated the SMIC had barely got to 7nm, and you mocked me for stating that they would never get to 7nm? Here's how SMIC did it;

One of China’s major microchip foundries, the Semiconductor Manufacturing International Corporation (SMIC), having previously said that it planned to maximise the production of less advanced microprocessors, has just announced that it will begin manufacture at the 7 nanometer production node. But it transpires that SMIC have, so to speak, gone about this the long way round, using Deep Ultraviolet Lithography tools which it has been able to stockpile to expose the silicon to light three or even four times in contrast to the once needed for Extreme Ultraviolet Lithography. It is doubtful whether this process can ever be commercially competitive.

Actually, there are various people, organizations, and countries, that would disagree with that, but then again, its all about moving the goalpost in your world.

https://blogs.lse.ac.uk/cff/2022/09/01/is-chinas-semiconductor-strategy-working/

China has little prospect of achieving either dominance or self-reliance in semiconductors, but it is becoming a major player in this globalised value chain, a trend that US-led efforts are unlikely to derail

I don't mock people. I might use an ironic tone sometimes but never with the intent of mocking anyone. 

The point was you said 7nm was many years away. It wasn't. In fact it was already done. DUV might not be the most cost effective or efficient way of getting there but it's done.

Just another step along the way and no one doubts they will get there. My bet is that it will be far sooner than anyone thinks. In fact it looks like they have already cracked the technological aspect of EUV lithography using new homegrown advances. The problem now is converting that into a usable scanner.

But that has nothing to do with Apple or the satellite features. 
    Seriously, there you go again;

In fact it looks like they have already cracked the technological aspect of EUV lithography using new homegrown advances
    Link please, and you must be aware that there are already systems beyond EUV being built in the West, that China will also have to catch up to. See how that work?

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/12/10/asmls-high-na-euv-lithography-machine-is-set-to-transform-chipmaking.html

You keep posting in support of China and Huawei, but you hardly ever link to any reliable Western sources. Your bias is apparent.
    LOL You are contradicting yourself. 
    How am I contradicting myself?
    LOL
    edited September 2022
  • Reply 42 of 48
    To me this reads like a loud NO from Apple to Teflon Musk.

Not buying GS keeps them under the anti-competition radar for now.

Time will tell how this goes. A lot will depend on how successful this feature turns out to be as measured by real world uptake. The solution of manually locating the satellite seems like an elegant and inexpensive solution for a very occasional use application. 
    tmaywatto_cobra
  • Reply 43 of 48
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,665member
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:

Micron, Nvidia lead semiconductors higher as GOP warns Apple, Biden visits Intel plant

http://https//seekingalpha.com/news/3881724-micron-nvidia-lead-semiconductors-higher-as-gop-warns-apple-biden-visits-intel-plant?mailingid=29005114&messageid=2900&serial=29005114.14669&source=email_2900&utm_campaign=rta-stock-news&utm_content=link-3&utm_medium=email&utm_source=seeking_alpha&utm_term=29005114.14669

Micron Technology (NASDAQ:MU) and Nvidia (NASDAQ:NVDA) were among the top gainers in the semiconductor industry on Friday as Republican lawmakers warned Apple (NASDAQ:AAPL) over the potential use of memory chips from a controversial Chinese company and President Biden visited Intel's (INTC) new plant in Ohio.

Apple (AAPL) has been warned by Republican lawmakers that it will face additional scrutiny from Congress if the tech giant obtains memory chips from Yangtze Memory Technologies for the iPhone. 

Senator Marco Rubio, the vice chair of the Senate intelligence committee and Michael McCaul, a Representative from Texas on the foreign affairs committee, were surprised when they saw media reports that Apple (AAPL) was looking at obtaining chips from Yangtze Memory Technologies for the iPhone.

"Apple is playing with fire,” Rubio said in an interview with the Financial Times. "It knows the security risks posed by YMTC. If it moves forward, it will be subject to scrutiny like it has never seen from the federal government. We cannot allow Chinese companies beholden to the Communist party into our telecommunications networks and millions of Americans’ iPhones."

At the time, Seeking Alpha reported that such a tie-up could be met with criticism due to the Chinese company's connections with the Beijing government.

Cupertino, California-based Apple (AAPL) told the FT it does not use chips from Yangtze Memory Technologies in any product, but added that it was "evaluating sourcing from YMTC for NAND chips to be used in some iPhones sold in China."

LOL!

I'm not sure what your point is, but I'm in agreement that Apple needs to recreate a majority of its supply chain, and assembly operations, outside of China, and better sooner, than later.

Realistically, Apple can do that, but would probably need to use Chinese companies anyway. Just off Chinese soil. 

And when China becomes self sufficient in chip production Apple may find it difficult to resist the lower costs that will surely result. Remember, no one doubts China will reach it technological goals. The only question is 'when'. 

Of course, the further Apple moves assembly from China, the more likely it is that China could ban it from the mainland (a threat that has never gone away).

Remember when I stated the SMIC had barely got to 7nm, and you mocked me for stating that they would never get to 7nm? Here's how SMIC did it;

One of China’s major microchip foundries, the Semiconductor Manufacturing International Corporation (SMIC), having previously said that it planned to maximise the production of less advanced microprocessors, has just announced that it will begin manufacture at the 7 nanometer production node. But it transpires that SMIC have, so to speak, gone about this the long way round, using Deep Ultraviolet Lithography tools which it has been able to stockpile to expose the silicon to light three or even four times in contrast to the once needed for Extreme Ultraviolet Lithography. It is doubtful whether this process can ever be commercially competitive.

Actually, there are various people, organizations, and countries, that would disagree with that, but then again, its all about moving the goalpost in your world.

https://blogs.lse.ac.uk/cff/2022/09/01/is-chinas-semiconductor-strategy-working/

China has little prospect of achieving either dominance or self-reliance in semiconductors, but it is becoming a major player in this globalised value chain, a trend that US-led efforts are unlikely to derail

I don't mock people. I might use an ironic tone sometimes but never with the intent of mocking anyone. 

The point was you said 7nm was many years away. It wasn't. In fact it was already done. DUV might not be the most cost effective or efficient way of getting there but it's done.

Just another step along the way and no one doubts they will get there. My bet is that it will be far sooner than anyone thinks. In fact it looks like they have already cracked the technological aspect of EUV lithography using new homegrown advances. The problem now is converting that into a usable scanner.

In fact it looks like they have already cracked the technological aspect of EUV lithography using new homegrown advances
    Link please, and you must be aware that there are already systems beyond EUV being built in the West, that China will also have to catch up to. See how that works?

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/12/10/asmls-high-na-euv-lithography-machine-is-set-to-transform-chipmaking.html

You keep posting in support of China and Huawei, but you hardly ever link to any reliable Western sources. Your bias is apparent.
    You've had the links before (all of them) and I'm speaking from memory so I'm not going to go digging for something from two or three years ago that is wildly off topic anyway and should not even be in this thread.

As for 'reliable' Western links, that made me laugh out loud. It's not a case of Western vs non-Western. There is unreliable information all over the place and it is ironic that almost all of your China critical links get traced back to US funded organisations or China hawks! 

I don't support either 'side'. I have a viewpoint anchored mostly in the technological, financial and trading areas and based on known facts (not claims, allegations or heresy). Yes, geo-politics in this topic may be unavoidable but I don't make it the be all and end all of my opinion.

Anyway, once again, all off topic so let it go.

Time to not reply to you here if you still don't get it. 
  • Reply 44 of 48
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,328member
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:

LOL!

Link please, and you must be aware that there are already systems beyond EUV being built in the West, that China will also have to catch up to. See how that works?

You've had the links before (all of them) and I'm speaking from memory so I'm not going to go digging for something from two or three years ago that is wildly off topic anyway and should not even be in this thread.

As for 'reliable' Western links, that made me laugh out loud. It's not a case of Western vs non-Western. There is unreliable information all over the place and it is ironic that almost all of your China critical links get traced back to US funded organisations or China hawks! 

I don't support either 'side'. I have a viewpoint anchored mostly in the technological, financial and trading areas and based on known facts (not claims, allegations or heresy). Yes, geo-politics in this topic may be unavoidable but I don't make it the be all and end all of my opinion.

Anyway, once again, all off topic so let it go.

Time to not reply to you here if you still don't get it. 
    Do you even understand that China isn't actually catching up if the semiconductor industry in the West continues to develop new and more advanced technology that allows even smaller features? 

Frankly, you're full of shit on the subject of semiconductor manufacturing technology, and how it compares between the West and China, and no, I'm not going to let you continue to bullshit on this subject unopposed just so you feel good about China and Huawei.
    edited September 2022 watto_cobra
  • Reply 45 of 48

The lithography giant ASML has expanded the number of mainland employees. The number has exceeded 1,500.

https://udn.com/news/story/7333/6604865?from=udn-ch1_breaknews-1-0-news

The lithography giant ASML has expanded the number of mainland employees. The number has exceeded 1,500.

2022-09-11 21:56 United Daily News/ReporterYe Wenyi/Instant report
    According to the latest data of Dutch lithography giant Asmore ASML by the end of August the number of ASML employees in mainland China had exceeded 1500  Extracted from Sinacom
    According to the latest data of Dutch lithography giant Asmore (ASML), by the end of August, the number of ASML employees in mainland China had exceeded 1,500. ( Extracted from Sina.com)

As the United States is desperate to suppress mainland China's semiconductors, the latest data of Dutch lithography giant Asmall (ASML) shows that by the end of August, the number of ASML employees in mainland China had exceeded 1,500, an increase of about 200 over the end of last year, accounting for 14% of ASML's global employees.

ASML is the leader in the world's largest chip micro-shadow equipment market. In June this year, ASML said that in order to support the growth of China's business, it will continue to expand the Chinese team this year and plan to recruit more than 200 employees.

According to IT Home, the data disclosed by ASML in January this year shows that ASML's global employees exceeded 30,000. In the past two years, more than 6,000 new employees have joined ASML. Among them, by the end of 2021, ASML China's employees had increased to more than 1,300. This means that the number of ASML employees in China has been recruited this year, and the number of people has increased by another 200.

Although ASML is prohibited from selling ultraviolet light (EUV) lithography machines to mainland China, ASML can still sell deep ultraviolet light (DUV) and other lithography machines in mainland China. Moreover, the largest customer of ASML in 2021 was the chip enterprise in mainland China. The chip enterprise in mainland China contributed more than $29 billion to ASML, while Taiwan and South Korea contributed about $25 billion in revenue.

According to mainland media reports, China has become the largest market of ASML, thanks to Shen Bo, the main head of ASML in China. He serves as the president of ASML in China and understands the needs of the Chinese market. At present, ASML has 15 offices, 11 warehousing logistics centers, 3 development centers, 1 training center and 1 maintenance center in mainland China.

The analysis pointed out that the expansion of ASML's employee size in China should be viewed from two aspects. On the one hand, both sides have demand, and on the other hand, if ASML completely withdraws from the Chinese market, it will inevitably force Chinese enterprises to develop advanced lithography machines themselves.

• Reply 46 of 48
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,328member

https://udn.com/news/story/7333/6604865?from=udn-ch1_breaknews-1-0-news

2022-09-11 21:56 United Daily News/ReporterYe Wenyi/Instant report

According to the latest data of Dutch lithography giant Asmore (ASML), by the end of August, the number of ASML employees in mainland China had exceeded 1,500. ( Extracted from Sina.com)

As the United States is desperate to suppress mainland China's semiconductors, the latest data of Dutch lithography giant Asmall (ASML) shows that by the end of August, the number of ASML employees in mainland China had exceeded 1,500, an increase of about 200 over the end of last year, accounting for 14% of ASML's global employees.

ASML is the leader in the world's largest chip micro-shadow equipment market. In June this year, ASML said that in order to support the growth of China's business, it will continue to expand the Chinese team this year and plan to recruit more than 200 employees.

According to IT Home, the data disclosed by ASML in January this year shows that ASML's global employees exceeded 30,000. In the past two years, more than 6,000 new employees have joined ASML. Among them, by the end of 2021, ASML China's employees had increased to more than 1,300. This means that the number of ASML employees in China has been recruited this year, and the number of people has increased by another 200.

Although ASML is prohibited from selling ultraviolet light (EUV) lithography machines to mainland China, ASML can still sell deep ultraviolet light (DUV) and other lithography machines in mainland China. Moreover, the largest customer of ASML in 2021 was the chip enterprise in mainland China. The chip enterprise in mainland China contributed more than $29 billion to ASML, while Taiwan and South Korea contributed about $25 billion in revenue.

According to mainland media reports, China has become the largest market of ASML, thanks to Shen Bo, the main head of ASML in China. He serves as the president of ASML in China and understands the needs of the Chinese market. At present, ASML has 15 offices, 11 warehousing logistics centers, 3 development centers, 1 training center and 1 maintenance center in mainland China.

The analysis pointed out that the expansion of ASML's employee size in China should be viewed from two aspects. On the one hand, both sides have demand, and on the other hand, if ASML completely withdraws from the Chinese market, it will inevitably force Chinese enterprises to develop advanced lithography machines themselves.

Gee, if only the EU were interested in expanding semiconductor production;

https://www.europarl.europa.eu/thinktank/en/document/EPRS_BRI(2022)733585

Strengthening EU chip capabilities: How will the chips act reinforce Europe's semiconductor sector by 2030?

The proposed European chips act, presented by the European Commission in February 2022, aims to mobilise €43 billion in 'policy-driven investment' for the EU's semiconductor sector by 2030. The Commission expects long-term private investment to exceed this. The plan serves to enable immediate EU coordination against supply disruptions, strengthen and scale up production and innovation throughout the EU semiconductor value chain, and further enhance the Union's technological leadership, practical applications and digital sovereignty in this crucial field. The global semiconductor value chain is characterised by chokepoints and critical dependencies, including on more advanced chips from Taiwan and South Korea, US intellectual property in chip design automation, Japanese wafers and Chinese chip assembly. Europe has strong capacities in research and equipment manufacturing, in addition to some production capacity of (less advanced) chips with larger transistors, often destined for the automotive sector, as well as (chemical) inputs. The future effectiveness of the EU chips act could benefit from further emphasis on certain key challenges to strengthen and safeguard Europe's position in the global chip value chain. Internally, reinforcing European chemical input and back-end manufacturing could be advanced by protecting European chemical suppliers against Chinese subsidies and by reshoring back-end facilities to Europe. Bilaterally, attracting and engaging in foreign semiconductor investment could see the use of relevant forums, partnerships and agreements, as well as relevant fast-track permits. Globally, enhancing foreign dependencies on the EU would require further reinforcement of existing European centres of excellence including in innovative research and equipment manufacturing. The EU chips act, if provided with the right resources, could help to improve the EU's position in the global semiconductor value chain significantly by 2030. Meanwhile, Intel's €33 billion investment and Taiwanese interest in European chip manufacturing are also cause for optimism.

There's your market expansion, ASML.
  • Reply 47 of 48
    There are lots of questions that this service raises. For example, not all satellites are in polar orbits, so there may be a maximum latitude that Apple's service can cover. And there could be some latitudes that get better coverage than others.
    Looking at the coverage maps they got all of North America except north of Alaska. But not Hawaii nor Guam. Looks like PR is covered though.