iPhone 14 Pro Dynamic Island shows Apple out-thinking rivals again

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 35
    nubusnubus Posts: 386member
    crowley said:
    Dude, it's a set of animations.  The novelty will last for about 10 minutes.
    Yup - a novelty. Just like computers allowing overlapping windows (Apple invented the overlapping windows - imagine not having that novelty...).

It just shows that iPhone 14 non-pro is too much like 13 and 12. Crash detect - don't all modern cars have this? At least in the EU it is a requirement.
    Satellite emergency messaging limited to 2 countries? You have to be lost in the US or Canada to get help?
    The iPhone 14 is the one to skip while iPhone 14 Pro shows what is ahead. With apps having to be updated you might wait to iPhone 15.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 35
    I like the pill notch software-hardware combo, although the “dynamic island” marketing is cringey. The only dynamic island I want has reggae, beautiful women, cocktails and ocean breeze.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 35
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    omasou said:
    crowley said:
    Honestly, 

im pretty blown away by the innovation gone into the dynamic island. 

Apple has taken a liability for any smartphone with a front facing camera setup (even more so with Face ID tech) and they’ve turned it into a very desirable asset. 

The functionality, the presence, and the animations make it a must have. 

All android phone (and even the non-pro iPhones) now seem a bit dated without this feature. 

Samsung and others will follow suit soon enough, but it will be a ghetto version, per usual. 

When I first heard the words “dynamic island,” I laughed out loud. Literally. Then I saw it demo’d.

DANG. 

ITS AWESOME. 

Whoever came up with that has definitely earned their stripes at Apple. 

Amazing. Can’t wait to use it. 
    Dude, you honestly don't get it. Apple could just have easily thrown extra/larger status indictors into the "ears" and called it a day. Instead like a magician they redirected your eyes into seeing what they want you to see instead of what is really there, "the notch".

The end result is ...notch what notch.
    Except when one of the animations isn’t triggered. Or when a full screen video is playing.

It’s a cute and clever implementation, but it’s just visual gimmickry, not any increased functionality.
    muthuk_vanalingamblurpbleepbloopdewme
  • Reply 24 of 35
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,697member
    chasm said:
    The reason Android users who have a hole punch in their wannabe iPhones (often off to one side or the other which really triggers my OCD for symmetry) is because … they are stupid.

They do not understand that the sensors previous under the notch and now under this “pill” do A WHOLE HELL OF A LOT MORE than their hole punch substandard-selfie camera. Like Face ID that works instantly every time, for starters, even in total darkness. Like better low-light selfies. Like Face ID with a mask on. Like face depth-mapping. And so on and so on. Apple packs so much tech in that one little pill, it’s really pretty amazing.

PS. I’m pretty sure any videos playing on the iPhone will not overlap the pill area at all, just like it didn’t with the notch. Games might be another story, because that’s up to the developers.
    Size is obviously dependent on what is inside the array but can vary. Apple has actually had bigger notches than some Android phones even when those phones had the exact same elements. Apple didn't reduce the size for a long time. Yes. Android phones can have 3D depth sensing too. Better even! 

For example, Apple also took a long time to improve it and didn't give it the functionality that some Android phones enjoyed either. It couldn't do 3D small object modeling, it couldn't unlock in landscape orientation (I'll never understand why), it wasn't used as Eyes On AOD... 

Face ID with masks didn't work. It had to be tweaked and reduced security as a result. 

When those phones didn't have the same components, size could be taken right down to its minimal expression and then it's just a question of placement. Circular and pill cutouts look fine centred or offset. It's a question of preference.

With a rectangular screen shape, notches look better centered.

As for selfies, again, some Android phones have been better than iPhones. Far better. 

Apple has now moved to a pill from a notch. It has followed market trends. It has updated a dated design. That's great and probably much needed. 

The rest are animations. Let's not get distracted here: Apple has chosen a pill format basically. Exactly the same hardware approach as, yes, Android vendors. 

With the animations they have just turbo charged the UI aspect. Animating 'around the sensor array' was done from the get go with Android notches in the most simple fashion. It was used to 'eliminate' the notch for those that didn't want it. Something simple that Apple refused to allow iPhone users to do. 

Now, which of the two Apple options is better is going to depend on personal preference. 

In some ways it is more intrusive than the notch in spite of size reductions. On the other hand looks more modern and gives some feedback. 

Personally I don't have any issues with it on first sight but this is something you can only really evaluate after having used it for a while because at the end of the day it is just a big pill sitting front and centre on the screen. 

If that ends up bugging you, you probably won't be able to 'ignore' it. 

• Reply 25 of 35
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,697member
    avon b7 said:
    It's a stretch (and a mighty one at that) to claim Apple waited to get the pill done right.

It isn't. It's just another way of doing something. You can go one way or the other. 

They could have moved the whole assembly up to the frame (a la 'notch') with the same functionality and saved some space. 

Something Android pills, cutouts and notches have strived to do from the get go. Let's not forget that Apple is taking a nod from the wider industry here by separating the sensor array from the frame. Industry feeds off itself for ideas. It's how it has always been. 

Everyone will have their preferred option and options are where it's at. Almost all of them are done right but they are options nevertheless, all with strong and weak points depending on needs/point of view. 

The name is plain silly IMO. Should we rename status bars as 'dynamic' now?

It's another take on providing feedback but little more. 
    Avon B7 walks into a status bar and orders a rethink.  “Is there nothing you actually like,” asks the bartender?  “I like my own posts,” replies B7.  “Bingo,” retorts a patron listening in, “I always wondered why there is always and only one Like.”
    OK. I'll admit I laughed. Point to you. ;-) 
    radarthekat
  • Reply 26 of 35
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,373member
    We all have to remember that Notches, Islands, Pills, Hole Punches, etc., are all a direct consequence of our fascination with zero bezel displays. When you take away the bezels that were providing a very convenient parking spot for hardware sensors and actuators you have to find another place to stick them all, unless the function the hardware performed can be eliminated (like the home button) or seamlessly integrated into the display itself. It then becomes a challenge to come up with the best solution to overcoming the problem you've created by removing the bezels. 

None of the aforementioned workarounds are perfect and each one has its pros and cons. Apple's latest approach with the "Dynamic Island" (cough ... cough, still having a hard time seeing beyond the goofy marketeering spin on that one) is very clever and well integrated, but it's still a workaround. If the "Dynamic Island" was without compromise and a universally clever UI breakthrough it would also work in landscape mode on large iPhones and on iPads, i.e., the island would always move to the top edge. I suppose Apple could put a Dynamic Island on two edges of the iPad and ... welcome to "Dynamic Archipelago." 

I'm totally cool with what Apple has done here. We asked for minimum bezels and Apple delivered minimum bezels as best they could. They still needed a bit of bezel to park their required hardware so we got The Notch. Unfortunately The Notch was and really still is a bit of a wart. So Apple came up with a way to make the wart more appealing. The Dynamic Island didn't eliminate the wart, but it's now front, top, and center and we now consider it a "beauty mark" rather than a wart. I suppose as long as no big 'ol hairs start sprouting from it we can still gaze upon it fondly and keep reminding ourselves about how much we appreciate the other three quarters of the display that are perfectly bezel-free.

The glass is three-quarters full and the beauty mark is quite lovely and very distinguished. I'd call this is a win in my book.
    muthuk_vanalingamavon b7radarthekatStrangeDayskiltedgreenwatto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 35
    crowley said:
    omasou said:
    crowley said:
    Honestly, 

im pretty blown away by the innovation gone into the dynamic island. 

Apple has taken a liability for any smartphone with a front facing camera setup (even more so with Face ID tech) and they’ve turned it into a very desirable asset. 

The functionality, the presence, and the animations make it a must have. 

All android phone (and even the non-pro iPhones) now seem a bit dated without this feature. 

Samsung and others will follow suit soon enough, but it will be a ghetto version, per usual. 

When I first heard the words “dynamic island,” I laughed out loud. Literally. Then I saw it demo’d.

DANG. 

ITS AWESOME. 

Whoever came up with that has definitely earned their stripes at Apple. 

Amazing. Can’t wait to use it. 
    Dude, you honestly don't get it. Apple could just have easily thrown extra/larger status indictors into the "ears" and called it a day. Instead like a magician they redirected your eyes into seeing what they want you to see instead of what is really there, "the notch".

The end result is ...notch what notch.
    Except when one of the animations isn’t triggered. Or when a full screen video is playing.

It’s a cute and clever implementation, but it’s just visual gimmickry, not any increased functionality.
    It’s clever, and visual, but I suspect it is not a gimmick. A gimmick serves no real purpose. The intent of this clever visual trick is to make the physical dead space less noticeable by masking it within UI elements. If that works, that isn’t a gimmick, that’s practical. 

I don’t think anyone believes notches & punches are “increased functionality”, but rather a trade off for other things, such as lack of forehead or chin, improved screen ratios, much better face recognition, depth sensing, etc. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 35
    A gimmick!?

It’s one of the many things that Apple does that makes you smile.

It’s like the way old buildings have “inefficient and unnecessary” designs, extrusions, twirls and more that builders/architects of modern buildings rarely include because they don’t see the point.

But, that is why humans, as lovers of things beautiful, often prefer those aspects of old buildings and what makes us cherish them. Apple fully understands that beauty and delight are important and certainly not “a gimmick”.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 35
    Fair, gimmick is probably the wrong word.  It's an aesthetically pleasing presentation of functionality they already had.
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 30 of 35
    Ofer said:
    So far I have read commenters mostly saying meh, about te new stuff Apple produced. Am I the only one that is truly impressed?
    Welcome to every Apple announcement event ever. The naysayers always fill their traditional role. Even the original iPhone event (greatest product announcement event in history IMO) had its doubters. That said, the iPhone is now a mature product in a mature product category - the major revolutionary moments are behind us. I know some people think the folding phones/screens are the new shiny, but I for one don't understand the need/appeal.

Frankly the only feature upgrade I'm really yearning for is a higher optical zoom range for the camera. 2x is so...meh. 
    It actually has both 2x and 3x optical zoom.

That being said, I agree that I’d like to see a higher zoom range. Maybe we’ll get it with next year’s rumored telescoping lens?
    Actually, none of these lenses are zoom. In the Pro, there are three fixed focal length lenses. With some software manipulation, it creates digital “zoom”, which isn’t real zoom. A zoom lens has variable optical focal
    lengths. The 3x lens in the iPhone 13 Pro is a 3x fixed focus TELEPHOTO lens. There are no optical increments between the standard wide and 3x setting, hence not a zoom lens.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 31 of 35
    Do you remember iPhone 3D Touch screen or MacBook Touch Bar? Same thing here, the only question being how many years Dynamic Islands will last… One year? Two? Maxime three, for sure!
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 32 of 35
    So, some people wanted to get rid of the notch.. and now they will want to turn this island off. I can live without it.. it’s taking too much screen space with what can be otherwise placed in the control center, notifications or another swipe in/out bezel :D (remember macOS Quicksilver util?) But there’s no toggle to turn it off! Will it be added with some next iOS update? (like turning off wifi and bluetooh in control center?). Or perhaps someone will create a “haxie”, that will replace black pill PNGs with transparent 1px pict within it’s system services bundle? :D
    When it comes to illusory works, it won’t work for me. No matter what, my brain is registering that “unused” always black area is still there. It’s even bigger now, with little status icons that enlarge it and must be there, as it now serves as an illusion helper.

Enough joking. It’s pretty nice and perfectly applied! Have you noticed in the video, how one of the icons expands downwards to the center and must be using the very last pixels next to cut out? It’s amazing. But for me, not really something to be touted as a feature.
  • Reply 33 of 35
    Do you remember iPhone 3D Touch screen or MacBook Touch Bar? Same thing here, the only question being how many years Dynamic Islands will last… One year? Two? Maxime three, for sure!
    I not only remember 3D Touch, I still use 3D Touch, on my still reliable iPhone X.  Really nice feature, shame they never made much of it.  
    watto_cobracanucklehead
  • Reply 34 of 35
    nubus said:
    crowley said:
    Yup - a novelty. Just like computers allowing overlapping windows (Apple invented the overlapping windows - imagine not having that novelty...).

It just shows that iPhone 14 non-pro is too much like 13 and 12. Crash detect - don't all modern cars have this? At least in the EU it is a requirement.
    Satellite emergency messaging limited to 2 countries? You have to be lost in the US or Canada to get help?
    The iPhone 14 is the one to skip while iPhone 14 Pro shows what is ahead. With apps having to be updated you might wait to iPhone 15.
    Satellite emergency messaging will work for other country once Apple worked through local regulation with the authority. 
    watto_cobra