Apple remembers Queen Elizabeth II with homepage takeover

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 24
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    chadbag said:
    This is a rather dumb argument.  

If you don't like the Queen, don't read the articles.  Get on with your day.  News of the Queen and the various tributes to her shouldn't get in your way of your day.  
    It absolutely is getting in the way of lots of peoples' days.  Shops are closed, events are being cancelled, the fucking weather service is running a reduced forecast.  This is absurd, and Apple are idiots for getting involved in the whole ridiculous charade. 
    muthuk_vanalingamronn
  • Reply 22 of 24
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,153member
    I don’t understand why some people here are getting their knickers in a twist.

Apple posted a photo to the landing page for five countries: Australia, Canada, New Zealand, UK, and USA. Apple has a long history (dating back to the Second Jobs Era) of periodic commentary on current events and not just limited to monetary donations for US domestic disaster relief.

This simple photo tribute should not surprise anyone. A few pixels on a web server, a tweet from the CEO’s account. The basic content might have been decided on months ago.

It should be noted that Apple did NOT close any of its bricks-and-mortar retail stores in these five markets. They have many retail employees in the UK and those people are expected to clock in for their shifts, business as usual.

I’ll keep my opinions about monarchies (yes, plural since the House of Windsor isn’t the only one on this planet) private but for sure Elizabeth II affected all Britons in some way, not just the ones congregating in front of Buckingham Palace or Windsor Castle.

The 21 year old princess pledged a lifetime of public service. She kept her promise and was involved in 600+ charities. The British royal family is more than just a profitable tourist attraction.

If a royal brings more awareness to a worthy cause, that’s good even if there are no direct benefits to citizens of other nations.

I know some people online can’t see the forest for the trees. Pity.
    edited September 2022 avon b7watto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 24
    danoxdanox Posts: 3,251member
    JP234 said:
    crowley said:
    JP234 said:
    jcc said:
    Why?! Her forefathers raped and pillaged countless people all over the world. Did no one take any history lessons? Did Tim Cook not study history??
    Do you not realize that virtually everyone has assorted psychopaths, murderers, rapists and criminals somewhere in their past? Only difference is most of us don't know our family histories from 500-1,000 years ago. Are you accountable for something one of your 20 times great grandfathers did?
    My wealth and power isn’t directly traceable to one of the most murderous thieving bastards that has ever walked the earth.  Largely because I have almost no wealth and power in comparison to the vast ill gotten gains of the British Royal Family.
    Meaning that your ancestors weren't as smart as the royal family. They were unable to profit from their misdeeds. Sucks to be you!

Are you from the American Southeast? The page was a good tribute but you are out of line.
    RonnyDaddy