Apple raises iPhone prices outside US and China

Posted:
in iPhone
Apple made a point of saying it was keeping the iPhone 14 range priced the same as the iPhone 13 one, but it turns out that was only for the US and China.

Before Apple's September 7 "Far Out" event, it was sometimes predicted that the iPhone 14 would be as much as $100 more expensive than the iPhone 13. Plus the iPhone 14 Pro line was routinely rumored to be more costly than the iPhone 13 Pro line.

The reports and rumors were strong and consistent enough that it was a surprise when Apple revealed it was keeping all new 2022 iPhone prices the same as in 2021. Except now, according to CNBC, those original rumors were close to accurate -- for countries other than the US and China.

Comparing the base iPhone 13 and iPhone 14 models, CNBC says that UK buyers have a seen a rise equivalent to $80. It's much less in Australia with an increase of $33, but Germany is right on the $100 mark -- and Japan's price increase is $146.

For the iPhone 14 Pro range, CNBC notes that UK buyers have to spend the equivalent of $175 more to buy the iPhone 14 Pro Max, compared to the iPhone 13 Pro Max.

Most of this is probably from what Tim Cook and Luca Maestri call "foreign exchange headwinds." The US dollar is current riding high compared to many currencies, particularly the UK, plus there have been rising component costs.

However, CNBC notes that despite this, Apple has chosen to keep its China prices the same as last year. China is an important market for Apple, and continued coronavirus lockdowns have reportedly dampened consumer enthusiasm for expensive devices.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    Of course. We don’t get all the features and services, yet have to pay more…
    elijahglkruppentropysols
  • Reply 2 of 13
    xbitxbit Posts: 390member
    The price rises in the UK are painful. I understand why Apple are doing it though - GBP is at a historic low against USD thanks to government inaction on the current crises in the UK.
    JP234olswatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 13
    Given the new pricing, it looks like a trip to cheapo Switzerland might be worth it then (yeah I live a day trip away). Then again 14 Pro is not giving enough reason to upgrade from my 12 Pro, so no reason to hurry. (No longer willing to buy devices with the old fashioned Lightening port any longer to begin with).

JP234
  • Reply 4 of 13
    I will postpone upgrade. As it is European Apple customers heavily subsidize Apple’s China business. Not fair.
    ols
  • Reply 5 of 13
    chadbagchadbag Posts: 2,000member
    Konrad said:
    I will postpone upgrade. As it is European Apple customers heavily subsidize Apple’s China business. Not fair.
    How do European Apple customers subsidize Apple's China business?  

The Chinese currency vs the dollar is a lot more stable.  Only off about 7% YoY vs twice as big loss or more with GBP and Euro.  And being assembled In China there is less overhead for transportation etc selling in China vs in Europe.  
    muthuk_vanalingamiOSDevSWEwatto_cobratmay
  • Reply 6 of 13
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,163member
    The policy induced escalating energy prices over the last couple of years (two decades in my country) with the recent spike especially in Europe from Russian gas sanctions has cratered exchange rates as investors go for the perceived safe haven of the world currency (USD).
    So that is a key reason for overseas price rises.  But I also expect, in time honoured Apple Tax fashion, and  because apple does not change retail prices over a twelve month period, that the finance weenies at Apple have conveniently assumed over the next year a continued fall in Euro, GBP, AUD, NZD etc to the iPhone price. Say 10% in addition to the current exchange rate to cover exchange rate risk.

and if that doesn’t happen it’s all gravy.
    iOSDevSWE
  • Reply 7 of 13
    danoxdanox Posts: 2,844member
    Just wait for that EU regional iPhone designed especially for Europe….. 
  • Reply 8 of 13
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,556member
    Given the new pricing, it looks like a trip to cheapo Switzerland might be worth it then (yeah I live a day trip away). Then again 14 Pro is not giving enough reason to upgrade from my 12 Pro, so no reason to hurry. (No longer willing to buy devices with the old fashioned Lightening port any longer to begin with).

The iPhones are actually more expensive in Switzerland than in Germany — once you strip the VAT (7.7% in Switzerland and 19% in Germany). 

Add to that that you actually have to pay VAT and customs duties when you import one into your own country — unless of course you’re intending to smuggle one through customs. But at least here, those factors are instantly doubled if you get caught. 
    watto_cobramacplusplus
  • Reply 9 of 13
    I live in Switzerland, close to Germany and France, close to Basel.

ideally, as Switzerland is not part of EU, for people living in Germany/Switzerland and buying in Switzerland/Germany you should be able to:

- recover (or not pay) CH/DE tax
    - pay customs on entry
    - pay VAT on entry

In practice is more complicated as many merchants DO NOT subtract VAT (online by example) even when your documents say that you live on the other side of the block, except for close border buys on DE/FR chains.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 13
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,664member
    No iPhone 14 under 1,000€ in Spain and Apple will only offer up 50€ for her XR in trade-in so that's out of the question.

My mortgage is almost finished but with the pan European mortgage index (Euribor) currently sky rocketing, a huge amount of people in the EU will see their mortgages take a sizeable chunk out of disposable income which is already getting battered by direct fuel/energy increases and the indirect effects (price rises across the board).

On top of that there is the shadow of recession looming large. 

Not the best environment to sell iPhone 14 models in. 
  • Reply 11 of 13
    xbit said:
    The price rises in the UK are painful. I understand why Apple are doing it though - GBP is at a historic low against USD thanks to government inaction on the current crises in the UK.
    Nope. It is because in Europe they MUST support physical SIM and because of that iPhone will be more expensive to manufacture. Also in china eSIM is prohibited by law and they will have to provide physical SIM versions only. 
  • Reply 12 of 13
    Sweden 
    Makes it Hard to justify

iphone 14 11 995 sek ($230 more expensive)
    Iphone 14 plus 13 495 sek
    iphone 14 PRO 14 995 sek
    iphone 14 PRO Max 16 495 sek
    edited September 2022