Apple releases tvOS 16 with Matter support, HDR10+ & other minor updates

Posted:
in General Discussion
Apple's next-generation tvOS 16 is now available to the public, introducing a handful of new features, bug fixes, and other improvements to the Apple TV platform.

tvOS 16 header
tvOS 16 header

One of the main new features is support for Matter, a unifying smart home standard that allows products to work with HomeKit, Alexa, Google Home, and Samsung SmartThings, among other automation platforms.

With the Matter support, users will be able to control Matter-certified accessories with the Home app on Apple TV models. While support is there, the actual standard launches later in the fall.

Users are now also able to pair their Nintendo Switch controllers with Apple devices, including Apple TVs running tvOS 16. tvOS 16 also brings support for HDR10+.

Additionally, Apple is expanding cross-device capabilities on tvOS by allowing an Apple TV app to integrate with iOS, iPadOS, or watchOS and "unlock new experiences."

For example, workout apps will be able to use metrics from an Apple Watch to fuel personalization. Video apps can include timelines or other data on an iPhone or iPad as media plays. Game developers can add accompanying features on an iPhone or iPad, such as a map.

There are a variety of other more minor changes and improvements in tvOS 16, including the following:

• There are new SwiftUI elements that developers can take advantage of in their own apps.

• Users can now add additional family members inside of Control Center

• New rich previews for Apple TV+ content to boost discovery

• Intensity levels are now displayed on-screen in Apple Fitness+ workouts, with levels ranging from "easy" to "all-out."

• New toggle for 24-hour or 12-hour time formats.

• There's a new Hover Text option in Accessibility

Update to tvOS 16 by navigating to the Settings app, select System, then Software Updates.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    Uh No. matter will be supported but most definitely not in this release.   I suspect 16.1 or maybe even .2.  Matter keeps getting delayed. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 9
    jcoh said:
    Uh No. matter will be supported but most definitely not in this release.   I suspect 16.1 or maybe even .2.  Matter keeps getting delayed. 
    I think they covered that:

“While support is there, the actual standard launches later in the fall.“

williamlondondoozydozenwatto_cobraAlex1N
  • Reply 3 of 9
    > New rich previews for Apple TV+ content to boost discovery

Yay more spoilers with audio. My favorite part about HBO scaling back support for their App is that it does not preroll the episode or play any audio while surfing. That makes my blood boil on Netflix. I am always scrambling for the mute button and trying to get to the show I want as quickly as possible so it isn't ruined for me before I start. If i had to choose between the two services, the absence of pre-rolling would tilt me 100% to HBO.
    doozydozenwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 9
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,273member
    mystigo said:

Yay more spoilers with audio. My favorite part about HBO scaling back support for their App is that it does not preroll the episode or play any audio while surfing. That makes my blood boil on Netflix. I am always scrambling for the mute button and trying to get to the show I want as quickly as possible so it isn't ruined for me before I start. If i had to choose between the two services, the absence of pre-rolling would tilt me 100% to HBO.
    Just updated, so I can report that yes, video trailers with sound play on the Apple TV+ page and the individual show pages under tvOS 16.

HOWEVER, there is of course a setting in Settings -> Apps -> TV -> Autoplay Video Sound that you set to Off, and that should stop audio from auto-playing videos in the background. Might need a restart to take effect.
    watto_cobraAlex1N
  • Reply 5 of 9
    geekmee said:
    jcoh said:
    I think they covered that:

“While support is there, the actual standard launches later in the fall.“
    The article says support for Matter is in tvOS 16, but the industry has not rolled it out as a standard yet.  @jcoh says it is not in tvOS 16 as of today. 

The way I read the article is that support for Matter is in tvOS 16 (today) but not really useful because no one is using it as a standard yet.
    watto_cobraAlex1N
  • Reply 6 of 9
    Any new screen savers with this release?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 9
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,273member
    ITGUYINSD said:

The article says support for Matter is in tvOS 16, but the industry has not rolled it out as a standard yet.  @jcoh says it is not in tvOS 16 as of today. 

The way I read the article is that support for Matter is in tvOS 16 (today) but not really useful because no one is using it as a standard yet.
    IIRC, Matter is largely based on HomeKit (they mentioned this briefly at the WWDC keynote),, so of course Apple can build in support ahead of time.
    watto_cobraAlex1N
  • Reply 8 of 9
    mystigo said:

There is an option to turn off auto playing previews on Netflix, though it is not very intuitive. You need to do it from the web and can only do it for one profile at a time.
    watto_cobramystigoAlex1N
  • Reply 9 of 9
    mystigo said:

There is an option to turn off auto playing previews on Netflix, though it is not very intuitive. You need to do it from the web and can only do it for one profile at a time.
    Thank you!