Apple Watch Ultra battery is much larger than Series 8's

Posted:
in Apple Watch
New regulatory filings show that the Apple Watch Ultra has a battery that is 76% larger than that in the Series 8, and more than double the size of the small Apple Watch SE.

Apple prefers to talk about battery life in terms of hours of usage, and at launch it claimed a maximum 60 hours for the Apple Watch Ultra. That's using a low power option, which also raises the Apple Watch Series 8 to a maximum of 36 hours.

However, specific details of the battery capacity have now been listed on China's 3C certification database. As first spotted by MySmartPrice, the Apple Watch Ultra contains a 542mAh battery.

This compares to:

• Apple Watch SE (40mm): 245mAh

• Apple Watch SE (44mm): 296mAh

• Apple Watch Series 8 (41mm): 282mAh

• Apple Watch Series 8 (45mm): 308mAh

That means that the Apple Watch Ultra has a battery that is 2.2 times larger than that in the 40mm version of the Apple Watch SE. It doesn't follow, though, that the Ultra will have 2.2 times the hours of battery life of Apple's cheapest Watch.

It does follow that the hours of battery life will be greater on the Apple Watch Ultra than any other Apple Watch. But the Apple Watch Ultra also has features such as the dual GPS that will reduce battery time.

For more detail on the many differences between the Apple Watch Ultra and the Apple Watch Series 8, read the AppleInsider comparison feature.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    I charged my Ultra’s battery to full capacity last night at 11pm. It’s now 6:17pm and it’s on 2 per cent. 

I’ve literally only checked the time on it since; no calls, texts, music, nothing. 

Apple’s aftersales customer support is, once again, awful.