Update to iOS 16.0.1 on your new iPhone 14 before you do anything else

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 28
    I have wen this up date at all.  Why?
    Skeptical said:
    How utterly sad is this?  
    It would be sad if they didn’t have the update ready to go when people got their phones.  
    Or worse, if they didn’t have the needed update ready and tried to downplay the issues. 

But having the fix ready to go on day 1?  That’s barely even annoying…

• Reply 22 of 28
    Setting up my wife’s new iPhone 14 Pro Max yesterday, it was impossible to restore from her Mac backup without the system automatically updating.

It all went smoothly.
  • Reply 23 of 28
    crowley said:
    A bug that prevents activation is a significant fuck up.
    Before I did a Restore from Mac Backup, I was easily able to activate my wife’s iPhone 14 Pro Max. 

Running the restore forced the system upgrade. No biggie.
  • Reply 24 of 28
    jibjib Posts: 56member
    Although the warnings made me a bit nervous, my transfer from my iPhone pro 13 to the new iPhone pro 14 went smoothly. I used Apple's easy transfer, placing the phones next to each other, as usual.  There is no opportunity to update iOS to 16.01 before running, but it went well, and updated to 16.01 after it transferred the data.

Everything transferred, taking about an hour plus time for the apps to reinstall.  Only glitch so far that I've noticed is that my calendar was buggy after the update -- searches didn't work properly.  So I reinstalled the calendar data from my iCloud and all was then ok.
  • Reply 25 of 28
    Skeptical said:
    Apple apologists can spin this any way you want but this is a bug that should have been caught in the beta phase. 
    O rly? Can you tell us what the circumstances are that trigger the bug, and how they aren’t unique or unusual to production and should clearly have been caught in beta? Oh, no, you can’t. Because you’re not in a position to know that. Software is complicated. Stuff comes up. Until humans are perfect there will be imperfect software. 
  • Reply 26 of 28
    Mac4mac said:
    Are others having issues with the new TvOS? Since I updated my tv HD, AirPlay glitches sometimes when I start using it for music to my stereo (intermittent audio), the screen goes black for a few seconds and freezes when I use the “Menu” button in various (maybe all) streaming apps, and the beginning of YouTube videos and ads shows a black screen with intermittent audio for the first few seconds, with the audio returning before the video. I did a quick Google search but haven’t seen anything. I’m wondering if it’s losing the HDMI connection for a split second, which might result in this kind of problem, but the device connected to it has a display which would normally tell me if it’s disconnected, but isn’t showing that. 
    Yes. I have a similar issue when playing video using the YouTube app. I get audio and totally black video. The first few times I had to check to see if the TV switched off. The video never recovers. I have to stop playing the video, sometimes I need to exit the app, and relaunch the video and it will work. I have also seen the same behaviour from the Plex app too. My
    Apple TV is the 4K version. They can be fussy little boxes sometimes, and need a reboot on a somewhat regular basis…… but I do love them and have had every model since version 1 which I still have. 
    My problem was solved with help from the online support forum. The Apple TV was having trouble with the “Match frame rate” feature (under settings -> audio/video), apparently related to the way YouTube delivers content and ads at different frame rates. I turned this feature off and the problem went away completely. I hope this solves it for you too.
  • Reply 27 of 28
    I hope they put out an update for older models (I have the iPhone 13 Pro Max) of iOS 16 that addresses the battery usage problem and the overheating issue. I have some apps (yes, they’ve updated and yes, I’ve followed all directions I find online to “fix” this problem), that push my 256gb phone to its heat limit and my battery used to last all day. 
    I’ve gone in and disabled background refresh apps, etc. Pretty much everything I can do (I’ve owned iPhones for about a decade) but nothing has solved this problem. 
    Apple should have seen this coming and done something about it to begin with. Charging is another hot nightmare. With an Apple charger. 
  • Reply 28 of 28
    Will the 14 Plus coming next week arrive with iOS 16 or 16.1?