Microsoft's next event is around when the Mac & iPad event is expected

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 27
    JinTechJinTech Posts: 1,051member
    toddzrx said:
    oldenboom said:
    I have stopped watching the Keynotes some years ago. Sometimes I skim through the Keynote quickly. It seems just iterations, it seems nothing really spectacular. Yes, the M1 was spectacular but it just confirmed what was already leaked. Those "One more thing" topics are still legendary. Just watching them again brings  back memories. I don't recall any of the recent Keynotes but I do recall quite some of those One More Things topics.
    Like you, I skim through Keynotes to hit the highlights. Jobs was an outstanding presenter simply because he was comfortable doing it. He didn’t appear forced. He didn’t stand with his feet wide apart like everyone in Apple events does now (who on earth came up with that idea?). He just talked conversationally about the products that he loved making. He was genuinely excited about them. Not that the current team aren’t.  If anything, they’re too excited, too happy, about them. I miss the good ‘ol days. 
    I too miss the good 'ol days. Unfortunately, they ain't coming back and Apple is a very different company than they were then. I still remember the days working at CompUSA and everyone dissed on me for being the dedicated "Mac" guy because they sincerely thought, that Apple was crap and that they were going out of business. Wish I could hear their thoughts now! I remember when I told them that Apple was rumored to start having Nvidia GPUs (remember those days?!) and they were only wowed a little bit..."maybe there is some hope"... was their response. When I showed them the command line interface in the developer beta of Mac OS X, with Rhapsody, they were like "it runs DOS?!" and I was like "no...it's UNIX!" That really stumbled them, but only for a minute and then they were back to "well Macs still suck!"
    danox
  • Reply 22 of 27
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,649member
    toddzrx said:
    oldenboom said:
    I have stopped watching the Keynotes some years ago. Sometimes I skim through the Keynote quickly. It seems just iterations, it seems nothing really spectacular. Yes, the M1 was spectacular but it just confirmed what was already leaked. Those "One more thing" topics are still legendary. Just watching them again brings  back memories. I don't recall any of the recent Keynotes but I do recall quite some of those One More Things topics.
    Like you, I skim through Keynotes to hit the highlights. Jobs was an outstanding presenter simply because he was comfortable doing it. He didn’t appear forced. He didn’t stand with his feet wide apart like everyone in Apple events does now (who on earth came up with that idea?). He just talked conversationally about the products that he loved making. He was genuinely excited about them. Not that the current team aren’t.  If anything, they’re too excited, too happy, about them. I miss the good ‘ol days. 
    Wow, I never keyed in on the feet wide apart thing. It does convey a sense of defensive posturing, like you’d see with a bouncer in front of a club door or a Marine in front of a security gate. Whether it’s intentional or not is unclear. It may simply be a natural reaction that the presenters take on because there is probably a large group of folks standing on the camera side, staring down or even actively coaching the presenter.

Most people simply don’t have the comfort level and confidence that Steve Jobs had under the same set of circumstances. Most people who aren’t in this position as a regular part of their job, like engineers, would be very intimidated. But yeah, the director of these presentations should probably be aware of how some viewers may subliminally interpret the stance of presenters as off putting, unless he/she thinks it is conveying some sort of confidence and/or authority, or at the very least, masking what would otherwise be a “deer in the headlights” look from some of these presenters.
  • Reply 23 of 27
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,751member
    JinTech said:
    toddzrx said:
    oldenboom said:
    I too miss the good 'ol days. Unfortunately, they ain't coming back and Apple is a very different company than they were then. I still remember the days working at CompUSA and everyone dissed on me for being the dedicated "Mac" guy because they sincerely thought, that Apple was crap and that they were going out of business. Wish I could hear their thoughts now!
    They're probably still happily suffering and believing that Macs would be worse. The company a friend works for uses Microsoft PCs and just the other day there was an update which broke a half dozen things, including a Logitech keyboard they were using. They've been wasting time on the phone with IT off and on for the past couple of days, and the solution they came up with for the keyboard problem is to order a new keyboard. Boggles the mind.
    danox
  • Reply 24 of 27
    thttht Posts: 5,599member
    "Surface Pro 9" is the easy choice for a 2022 model year Surface Pro. They also have a "Surface Pro X", which is their ARM detachable.

So, will there be a Surface Pro 10 and a Surface Pro X at the same time?  o:)

Anyways, MS is adventurous with their designs. Maybe their dual-screen laptop actually will ship. There are others about to hit the market or are on the market, which are folding OLED laptops, so perhaps their dual screen LCD laptop doesn't have a market anymore. They will try a folding OLED laptop eventually.

The magic is all going to be touchscreen UI with folding OLED laptops. Not many people are going to be carrying around an external keyboard with their folding OLED laptop. The current products are also clunky.
  • Reply 25 of 27
    JinTechJinTech Posts: 1,051member
    auxio said:
    JinTech said:
    toddzrx said:
    oldenboom said:
    I too miss the good 'ol days. Unfortunately, they ain't coming back and Apple is a very different company than they were then. I still remember the days working at CompUSA and everyone dissed on me for being the dedicated "Mac" guy because they sincerely thought, that Apple was crap and that they were going out of business. Wish I could hear their thoughts now!
    They're probably still happily suffering and believing that Macs would be worse. The company a friend works for uses Microsoft PCs and just the other day there was an update which broke a half dozen things, including a Logitech keyboard they were using. They've been wasting time on the phone with IT off and on for the past couple of days, and the solution they came up with for the keyboard problem is to order a new keyboard. Boggles the mind.
    You're more than likely right. PC people tend to be diehards! That is absolutely ridiculous that they would spend so much time, effort, and money on what could be such an easy fix, use a Mac instead! Boggles my mind as well  :D
  • Reply 26 of 27
    danoxdanox Posts: 3,230member
    JinTech said:
    auxio said:
    JinTech said:
    toddzrx said:
    oldenboom said:
    You're more than likely right. PC people tend to be diehards! That is absolutely ridiculous that they would spend so much time, effort, and money on what could be such an easy fix, use a Mac instead! Boggles my mind as well  :D
    What’s funnier is Intel, AMD, and Microsoft have been disrupted by Apple and are currently scrambling to come up with laptop the can run efficiently when unplugged from the wall now that’s funny.

The Surface like the Pixel phone is just a me too product which is obsolete before it even hits the stage. Not even the Verge tries to prop them up as Apple killers these days that is also well funny….
    edited September 2022 JinTech
  • Reply 27 of 27
    JinTech said:
    auxio said:
    JinTech said:
    toddzrx said:
    oldenboom said:
    A new keyboard here, a new keyboard there, pretty soon you're talking real Apple Tax! :wink: