Apple Watch Ultra is impressive, but can't replace my dive watch just yet

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 28
    PeteM said:
    mike1 said:

The issue with Apple Watch Ultra is that it has no way of connecting to a transmitter. Bluetooth is used for countless accessories but isn't feasible for underwater use because it can't reliably travel through water.

Aqualung, Suunto, Mares, and Scubapro all use RF, while Garmin developed its own Subwave sonar system that is even more reliable. Neither of those options will work with the existing Apple Watch Ultra.

RF stands for Radio Frequency, therefore Bluetooth is also RF. What RF bands do the named devices use that allows them to work reliably under water?

Dive Tank Pressure Gauges use 123Khz to send the signal to the dive computer. Bluetooth is 2.4Ghz. Doesn't travel well through water.
    Maybe a dive-specific band that incorporates the circuitry and antenna for the RF signal frequency needed to connect to pressure gauges.  That way Apple isn't taking up space within the watch itself and can also pass the cost of that feature on to only those who need it.  

In older vehicles, have you ever touched the radio receiver and noticed that the reception gets better. Your body is acting as an antenna for the low-frequency, long-band FM signals. No reason that the Apple Watch could not leverage the same approach, using the divers body as the main receiving antenna. Maybe?
    dewme
  • Reply 22 of 28
    “PC guys are not going to just figure this out. They’re not going to just walk in.” 
    Palm CEO Ed Colligan, 2006
  • Reply 23 of 28
    makeits0 said:
    “PC guys are not going to just figure this out. They’re not going to just walk in.” 
    - Palm CEO Ed Colligan, 2006
    Do you believe the author’s personal needs/concerns for a product are invalid? Instead of being flippant with that stupid, out of context quote (like the Bill Gates 640k comment, the speaker wasn’t referring to what you think they are), why not share your specific dive-centric experience to help the author understand, work-around, or accept the limitations of the Ultra? 

We’ll wait for your follow up. 
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 24 of 28
    The Apple watch is just too limited to be a safe dive computer. We also have to see what's happening in real live. Diving RedSea, Asia and probably most our of US destinations PADI rules are not always followed by heart and experience counts more than a deep diving speciality. For example Elphinstone a legendary spot in the Red Sea you will start your dive at well past 30 meters. Or diving in famous spots in Indonesia like Raja Ampad, you'll be facing the risks of being caught in a down current, which can bring you very fast below 40 meters until you manage to stabilise (one of the reasons I don't use Nitrox in this areas. So looking at all this the Apple Watch Ultra is more a risk factor than a safety device. Interesting enough, that Apple recommends on their Website to have a backup computer, which by far is not the standard in recreational diving. 
  • Reply 25 of 28
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    RolfS said:
    Interesting enough, that Apple recommends on their Website to have a backup computer, 
    Does it?  That’s hilarious :smiley: 
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 26 of 28
    GaryZGaryZ Posts: 1member

I’m an Advanced diver with over 1,000 dives in my log. I’ve been using the Apple Watch Ultra here in Cozumel for the past two weeks doing 2-4 dives a day with 20 dives completed. I also have a Suunto Eon Core which I’ve used for nearly 1,000 dives. I’ve been comparing them, with one on each wrist.  I’m extremely impressed with the Ultra thus far.

First off, as for power consumption.  On a 2 tank dive I had more than 72% power remaining on the watch.  And, with a 4 tank dive I had 56% (I know… proportional).  So, starting at 6am off the charger and finishing at 6pm I still had plenty of charge for the evening, after a two or four tank day, before putting it back on the charger.

My Suunto obviously has more functionality including tri-mix and a tank pressure option by buying the tank transmitter.  The tank transmitter is a $400+ cost and I’ve read that barely 20% of the dive computer users have spent the extra hundreds of dollars for that functionality.  The Ultra is not intended for that segment of the market.  It’s for recreational divers who don’t exceed the 134 foot limit and the vast majority of them just use a mechanical console showing their pressure.  Maybe Apple will add that as a feature or in next iteration of the watch.

Having said that, the Apple Ultra is much easier to use, is brighter and does everything needed by a recreational diver.  The Eon Core has a very intuitive user interface but Apple has it beat on ease of use and brightness.   I use it in both the Air and Nitrox settings. Switching to the Nitrox setting is easy on the Eon Core and even easier on the Ultra  and much easier than many other dive computer I’ve used. 

There have been negative comments about the subscription service partnered with Oceanic.  I think there is a misunderstanding about the Oceanic subscription. Some people seem to think that you need it to buy it in order to use the watch as a dive computer.  That is not correct, You don’t. The subscription application gives you a pre-dive planner and log to off-load your dive computer information to your iPhone, iPad or computer.

That’s a nice to have, but not something I absolutely have to have and definitely not a deal breaker as far as I’m concerned.  But, while here in Cozumel, out of curiosity, I signed up for one month of subscription, for $9.99, and promptly cancelled it so it will expire just after I leave. The data will stay in the log and be viewable. When I go on another dive trip, I will possibly pay $10 for 2-3 weeks of diving (probably 20-30 dives) and then cancel again. To me, that is well worth the nominal subscription price.  The question I’d have someone ask themselves is, how many dive trips do I take each year?  If it’s like many divers who maybe do two or three trips a year, then paying $9.99 per trip for as many dives as they do during that trip is pretty inexpensive for the planner/log.  If you live near a dive area and dive every weekend or more, then $79 for a year doesn’t seem like a big expense to me.  Certainly, it’s cheaper than renting a dive computer.  And, it’s all in one device.

I bought the Ultra because I was already interested in buying a new Apple Watch and for a few hundred extra dollars I got a dive computer as well.  Keep in mind, the Ultra uses a titanium case, instead of aluminum or stainless steel, has a sapphire crystal instead of Gorilla Glass as in the regular Apple watches, and has cellular built in (which I use independently from my iPhone).  So, the extra cost is partly offset by the upgraded materials and cellular.  

If you’re in the market for a new Apple Watch and you also need a dive computer, you can have it in one device.   I highly recommend getting the Ultra so that you only have one device to wear and keep track of.

I trust this helps those considering the Apple Ultra watch.

Enjoy

Gary

edited March 2023
  • Reply 27 of 28
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,211member
    sevenfeet said:
    Like the author of there article, I'm a recreational diver (25 years experience, advanced open water & nitrox certs).  
    I got certified nearly 30 years ago and enjoyed the hobby in Florida up until about 2012. I was envious of the nitrox guys who seemed so much more energetic, less tired, after a dive and had intended to get certified even tho my original instructor warned against it. I never did tho and sold my dive gear, including tanks and watch, about a decade back.
  • Reply 28 of 28

DAalseth said:
    The AW is a great general tool but a dedicated tool will always work better.
    Not true. 

Two or more tools put together can also be better, due to usability gains from not having to switch between separate tools. Also, a high-quality tool that's part of a combo may be better than a standalone, but average tool. 

What you're saying tends to be true, but is definitely not an absolute. In fact, one of Apple's historic strengths is putting functionalities together in new & compelling ways. Think "iPhone."
    edited April 2023 XedNuat_jdt