White, Christian, Male, Republican, Hetro?

Comments

• Reply 41 of 75
    pfflampfflam Posts: 5,053member
    Quote:

Originally posted by der Kopf

It strikes me how most of you, proud are less proud Americans, claim to be all peoples of the rainbow. What does 'part English' mean? Look, you're American, or you're English. Or you're both, in some cases. You know I love you all, but still, this is something that never ceases to amaze me. Standing-up-straight Americans turning around and proclaiming themselves, part Hungarian, part Norwegian, part Mongolian and part Mongoloid. What is up with that? It's like you all would claim to be part Cro-Magnon. Well.

That's because you're probably Belgian from way back . . . here in the states we are all from somewhere else . .. except Native Americans . . . and there are some places in the states where those cultural roots still play real cultural roles, chinatowns, Boston, etc

except a very very good friend of mine who lives in Belgium . . . . she is born and raised Hungarian and therefor is a Hungarian/Belgian

I, as I said above, am actually a dual citizen(French/American), meaning that I can carry two passports . . . I can work in the EU . . . and, if I want to, thanks to the Irish Republics sense of ancestry, can work with Ireland and get to claim Irish citizenship . . . as Irish/Americans of up to third geberation can claim citizenship.

anyway, its something that you simply couldn't understand about America and one of its greatest aspects: its profound cultural diversity and cultural flux
  • Reply 42 of 75
    der kopfder kopf Posts: 2,275member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pfflam

That's because you're probably Belgian from way back . . . here in the states we are all from somewhere else . .. except Native Americans . . . and there are some places in the states where those cultural roots still play real cultural roles, chinatowns, Boston, etc

except a very very good friend of mine who lives in Belgium . . . . she is born and raised Hungarian and therefor is a Hungarian/Belgian

I, as I said above, am actually a dual citizen(French/American), meaning that I can carry two passports . . . I can work in the EU . . . and, if I want to, thanks to the Irish Republics sense of ancestry, can work with Ireland and get to claim Irish citizenship . . . as Irish/Americans of up to third geberation can claim citizenship.

anyway, its something that you simply couldn't understand about America and one of its greatest aspects: its profound cultural diversity and cultural flux

I guess I'm just trying to elicit some response. Cultural diversity? I live in a country that has 10 million people and 3 official languages. Close to 1 million people with immigrant status. The father of my grandmother was a German WWI soldier. Am I part German? No. I'm Belgian. And that's more than enough.
  • Reply 43 of 75
    Are you white? Yes

Are you Christian? Yes

Are you male? Yes

Are you Republican? No, we don't have that party in Denmark

Are you Hetero? Yes

Do you own a Windows PC? No (I don't think Virtual PC counts...)
  • Reply 44 of 75
    fangornfangorn Posts: 323member
    Quote:

I guess I'm just trying to elicit some response. Cultural diversity? I live in a country that has 10 million people and 3 official languages. Close to 1 million people with immigrant status. The father of my grandmother was a German WWI soldier. Am I part German? No. I'm Belgian. And that's more than enough.

Actually, the question is "are you White?" It is interesting that such as question would elicit responses like "I'm part Irish." Does that mean Irish aren't White? There was a point in American history when the answer to that question would be hotly debated.

As for the ancestory thing, sounds like I just missed out on claiming dual citizenship then--one set of my great-grandparents were fresh-off-the-boat Irish.
  • Reply 45 of 75
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Yes.

Yes. (non-practicing)

Yes.

No.

Yes.

No.
  • Reply 46 of 75
    daverdaver Posts: 496member
    Are you white? Just call me Whitey.

Are you Christian? Yes, Catholic.

Are you male? Yes.

Are you Republican? There aren't any Republicans in Canada.

Are you Hetero? You bet.

Do you own a Windows PC? Hell no!
  • Reply 47 of 75
    dviantdviant Posts: 483member
    Are you white?

Yes

Are you Christian?

No. Athough i think i was 'saved' once, and was married by a Methodist.

Are you male?

Yes

Are you Republican?

Yes

Are you Hetero?

Yes. Got a wife to prove it even...

Do you own a Windows PC?

Yes. But I wanted to beat it with a sledgehammer last weekend. I was having install issues, bought a new hard drive and my *cough* burnt *cough* WinXP disc wasn't bootable which caused many headaches. In order to fix my issue I had to re-init two drives and install it twice. Ugh. All to save some stupid files.

I pretty much fit your KC 'burb sterotype. Also to complete that whole "Johnson County thing" you need to make sure everyone is drives an SUV and owns a cell phone.

(yes to both btw heh)
  • Reply 48 of 75
    Quote:

Originally posted by dviant

Are you Hetero?

Many perfectly gay people are married. Having a woman to call your wife doesn't prove anything. Not that I don't believe you. I'm just honing my bullshit detectors.
  • Reply 49 of 75
    BTW, where is KC? Is that Kentucky or something?
  • Reply 50 of 75
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    All yes for me.

Nick
  • Reply 51 of 75
    xionjaxionja Posts: 504member
    Are you white?

Yes

Are you Christian?

No, i'm supposed to be jewish, but that didnt really work out, i'm atheist, i suppose

Are you male?

No

Are you Republican?

No, but i'm not a hippie liberal either(have to define that when you live in ithaca)

Are you Hetero?

Yep

Do you own a Windows PC?

Yeah, skyroads, and digdug make it worthwhile.
  • Reply 52 of 75
    Yes, no, yes, no, yes, no
  • Reply 53 of 75
    dstranathandstranathan Posts: 1,717member
    Quote:

Originally posted by muah

All yeses and proud of it. I used to live in KC too!

Biggotry is a knife that cuts both ways. Meeting the above criteria doesn't mean anything about you.

My experience is that people are people. Stop being a racist/religious-ist/sexist/politi-cist/preferencist/OS-ist. Get out and find the great things about whoever you are lucky enough to meet, no matter what they look or sound like. I have known boring people of every race, religion, gender, political party, sexual preference, and OS.

I know lots of people in KC that I can get you in contact with if you want to see your stereotype demolished.

I am simply making an observation about my city. I don't care one way or the other what color a person is or what computer they use. I am simply asking about the AI members in regards to certain demographics. I dont mean to be impolite or come off as nosey, rude, etc. I think its fun and interesting to ask these questions. You can lie if you want, or not respond at all. I like KC, and I have a lot of pals here. I just get bored singing the "white bread blues" out here in the 'bubs.
  • Reply 54 of 75
    Quote:

Originally posted by dviant

Are you white?

Yes

Are you Christian?

No. Athough i think i was 'saved' once, and was married by a Methodist.

Are you male?

Yes

Are you Republican?

Yes

Are you Hetero?

Do you own a Windows PC?

Yes. But I wanted to beat it with a sledgehammer last weekend. I was having install issues, bought a new hard drive and my *cough* burnt *cough* WinXP disc wasn't bootable which caused many headaches. In order to fix my issue I had to re-init two drives and install it twice. Ugh. All to save some stupid files.

I pretty much fit your KC 'burb sterotype. Also to complete that whole "Johnson County thing" you need to make sure everyone is drives an SUV and owns a cell phone.

(yes to both btw heh)

LOL. Wait, I have an SUV and a cell phone! Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh!
  • Reply 55 of 75
    Quote:

Originally posted by Fangorn

Actually, the question is "are you White?" It is interesting that such as question would elicit responses like "I'm part Irish." Does that mean Irish aren't White? There was a point in American history when the answer to that question would be hotly debated.

As for the ancestory thing, sounds like I just missed out on claiming dual citizenship then--one set of my great-grandparents were fresh-off-the-boat Irish.

I just meant that I am white in color, and that the I have Irish ancestory. I felt like it gave a little more info to who I am. I can be black and be Irish too, I understand. I'm not trying to paint the world black and white here, I was just providing a bit of background info. Sorry, I didn't mean to link color to culture or nationality.
  • Reply 56 of 75
    kraig911kraig911 Posts: 912member
    People in Europe don't understand here in America, Sure you live in a country with 3 native languages and 1 million immigrants, ok well if thats the case you should count 94% of all USA as immigrants none of us by blood are from here. Everyone around me has different family backgrounds, virtues, and ways of lifes. Especially living in texas, where you have all the hispanic american's, "anglo-americans?" white guys? african americans and such. Remember there are over 350 million I belive now, (at least 275 for sure) anyways just like we are a strange mix, we are the country that invented the cocktail and a whole slew of other cool crap. Like Apple computers...
  • Reply 57 of 75
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Quote:

BTW, where is KC? Is that Kentucky or something?

KC = Kansas City. It's a city that straddles the state line between Kansas (surprise) and Missouri in the Mid-west.

I don't think dstranathan was going anywhere in particular with this thread, perhaps feeling that his little corner of the USA is a little less diverse (sick of that word, as good as it is), maybe feeling like a lonely democrat out there. Americans don't exclude by these types of associations, they include, makes us feel like the world isn't so big when youfind someone else with a similar background, interest, etc. Makes everyone unique but part of a bigger picture too.
  • Reply 58 of 75
    whisperwhisper Posts: 735member
    Yes to all, though I only use my PC for a few games.
  • Reply 59 of 75
    fangornfangorn Posts: 323member
    Quote:

Originally posted by dstranathan

I just meant that I am white in color, and that the I have Irish ancestory. I felt like it gave a little more info to who I am. I can be black and be Irish too, I understand. I'm not trying to paint the world black and white here, I was just providing a bit of background info. Sorry, I didn't mean to link color to culture or nationality.

I wasn't picking on you. If you look back through, you'll find a number of people who answered the same way. I just found it ironic.

I agree: it's culture, not skin color, that distinguishes us. Personally, I don't believe in multiple human "races" (goes with that "devout Christian" thing).

If you look at ancestry, I'm about as Anglo as you get without actually living in Great Britain. And "racism" in America hasn't always been a matter of skin color.
  • Reply 60 of 75
    Yes

Yes

Yes

No

Yes

Yes