Russia regulator demands answers for VK removal from the App Store

2»

Comments

  • Reply 21 of 32
    Be interesting to see how Apple responds if / when China ever moves against Taiwan. Can't imagine Apple's morality being strong enough to ban all sales in that cash cow (China), but we may soon find out!
    darkvaderlkrupp
  • Reply 22 of 32
    amar99 said:
    Be interesting to see how Apple responds if / when China ever moves against Taiwan. Can't imagine Apple's morality being strong enough to ban all sales in that cash cow (China), but we may soon find out!
    Why would apple do anything like that?
    Have apple closed App Store in Russia? They are not gonna ban all sales. Apple will only comply with the minimum possible/required sanctions. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 32
    amar99 said:
    Be interesting to see how Apple responds if / when China ever moves against Taiwan. Can't imagine Apple's morality being strong enough to ban all sales in that cash cow (China), but we may soon find out!
    That is a political matter, it is not a question for Apple alone, or any single company, to decide. It is a feature of global capitalism and trade that economies are interconnected. The principle is that by encouraging trade everyone will benefit and peace will prevail. That ideal is shattered when countries go to war, such as happened in the First and Second World Wars. When Russia goes rogue, it is for the rest of the world to decide the response. Once a war or other cataclysm happens, then normal rules are suspended — you can be sure that it is in the fine print of the trade agreements. It's for the politicians (acting in the interests of their peoples) to decide what to do.
    dewmewatto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 32
    amar99 said:
    Be interesting to see how Apple responds if / when China ever moves against Taiwan. Can't imagine Apple's morality being strong enough to ban all sales in that cash cow (China), but we may soon find out!
    Considering that China attacking Taiwan will almost certainly mean the US is at war with China?  Apple will stop all trade with China, or Cook will go to jail.  Trading with the enemy is a crime.

    Hopefully Apple will have factories in other countries by then, otherwise you're not getting any new Apple products for quite a while.
  • Reply 25 of 32
    I’ve never known this Chinese government, nor ones before, to act irrationally. Bit by bit they are advancing their own economic and geopolitical interests, just like everyone else does. Taiwan is a blind spot. Every so often they rattle their swords, but nothing comes of it. Who knows? Maybe one day… 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 32
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,341member
    Alex_V said:
    I’ve never known this Chinese government, nor ones before, to act irrationally. Bit by bit they are advancing their own economic and geopolitical interests, just like everyone else does. Taiwan is a blind spot. Every so often they rattle their swords, but nothing comes of it. Who knows? Maybe one day… 
    Oh really? Mao”s Great Leap Forward was rational, forcing intellectuals out to farming communes? When have communist economic policies ever been rational?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 32
    lkrupp said:
    Alex_V said:
    I’ve never known this Chinese government, nor ones before, to act irrationally. Bit by bit they are advancing their own economic and geopolitical interests, just like everyone else does. Taiwan is a blind spot. Every so often they rattle their swords, but nothing comes of it. Who knows? Maybe one day… 
    Oh really? Mao”s Great Leap Forward was rational, forcing intellectuals out to farming communes? When have communist economic policies ever been rational?
    You’re right. Mao’s policies were devastating, but I meant “I’ve never known in my lifetime.” Mao was quite before my time. The Chinese have been behaving themselves on the international stage for the best part of half a century. (Since the Korean War, if you consider their support for North Korea as misbehaviour.) Can the same be said of the US?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 32
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,341member
    Alex_V said:
    lkrupp said:
    Alex_V said:
    I’ve never known this Chinese government, nor ones before, to act irrationally. Bit by bit they are advancing their own economic and geopolitical interests, just like everyone else does. Taiwan is a blind spot. Every so often they rattle their swords, but nothing comes of it. Who knows? Maybe one day… 
    Oh really? Mao”s Great Leap Forward was rational, forcing intellectuals out to farming communes? When have communist economic policies ever been rational?
    You’re right. Mao’s policies were devastating, but I meant “I’ve never known in my lifetime.” Mao was quite before my time. The Chinese have been behaving themselves on the international stage for the best part of half a century. (Since the Korean War, if you consider their support for North Korea as misbehaviour.) Can the same be said of the US?
    Okay, how about the invasion and forced replacement of the population of Tibet? How the the Muslim Uyghurs? Funny how your ilk is always ready to equate the U.S. with the autocratic dictatorships of the world. You really think the U.S. and its western democratic allies are no better than them, huh. At least you can post your drivel without being arrested or disappearing.
    edited September 2022 watto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 32
    Apple are just complying with the US sanctions. Thirty five years ago, Russia gave Ukraine Chernobyl .. thanks. Now they are giving them an invasion and massacres. The neighbour from hell. Putin is putrid and should be terminated .. at once.
    Alex_Vwatto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 32
    Seems like a whole lot of people conveniently forgot about extraordinary rendition, black sites, detention centers, assassinations, toppled governments, skewed justice system, support for organized crime and authoritarian dictators plus all the other lovely acts committed by the U.S. and it’s allies during whatever flavor of “The War On…” was in vogue. That’s just in recent memory. There’s also the historical facts of slavery, Jim Crow, disenfranchisement, the Chinese Exclusion Act, and the genocide of  indigenous peoples, to name but a few. (Heck, name a treaty with non-whites that the U.S. has honored in full.)

    You can quibble about who’s dirtier at any given moment, but the fact of the matter is that dirty is dirty, period. And people don’t forget once they’ve been through that grinder. You in your cushy chair may be over it, but millions live with the consequences of those abuses every day.

    So I say it’s an absolutely fair to put all that on par with the abuses of the intelligence, military, law enforcement, and political apparatuses of other countries. 
    muthuk_vanalingamAlex_VJaiOh81watto_cobra
  • Reply 31 of 32
    lkrupp said:
    Alex_V said:
    You’re right. Mao’s policies were devastating, but I meant “I’ve never known in my lifetime.” Mao was quite before my time. The Chinese have been behaving themselves on the international stage for the best part of half a century. (Since the Korean War, if you consider their support for North Korea as misbehaviour.) Can the same be said of the US?
    Okay, how about the invasion and forced replacement of the population of Tibet? How the the Muslim Uyghurs? Funny how your ilk is always ready to equate the U.S. with the autocratic dictatorships of the world. You really think the U.S. and its western democratic allies are no better than them, huh. At least you can post your drivel without being arrested or disappearing.

    Tibet was in 1949. Muslim Uyghurs -- appalling, horrible, but I was commenting on another topic altogether: the likelihood of the Chinese launching an invasion of a neighbouring or other country, as they haven't engaged in such things since the 1950s. Your drivel argument is known as: straw man. I am not American, nor do I reside in the US. I owe you no allegiance, understood? It is a perfect time to change the discussion to the topic of the US’s psychopathic mass-murdering wars since 1945.
    JaiOh81muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 32 of 32
    rob53 said:
    red oak said:
    Thank God US is not a authoritative nation. Trump wanted to ban WeChat, TikTok from US. He did not succeed. On this point US is superior to China. 
    China bans Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat, WhatsApp.   Why should the US not ban TikTok and WeChat?   Do you not read any of the reports of how China is using these as vehicles to spy on people in the US? 
    Just like the NSA and FBI are spying on everyone in the USA. All governments spy on each other and their own country.
    Here comes the Whataboutism crew.
    edited September 2022
Sign In or Register to comment.