Apple's iPhone 14 Pro Max has best display in the world

Posted:
in iPhone edited September 2022
Display technology firm DisplayMate has concluded that the iPhone 14 Pro Max display is the best on any smartphone to date, setting or matching 15 category records.

DisplayMate tests smartphone displays for a wide range of characteristics, and in 2021 it declared that the iPhone 13 Pro Max was the best it had ever tested. If that model hadn't been beaten before, it has been now -- with the iPhone 14 Pro Max.

"Based on our extensive Lab Tests and Measurements," writes DisplayMate, "the iPhone 14 Pro Max has a very impressive, excellent, top tier, world class smartphone display with close to textbook perfect calibration accuracy."

"[It also has] performance that is visually indistinguishable from perfect," it continues. "Based on our objective Lab Tests and Measurements the iPhone 14 Pro Max [earns] DisplayMate's highest ever Display Performance Grade of A+.

DisplayMate says it exceeded or matched all previously tested phones in 15 categories. In eight of them, DisplayMate concluded the screen was "visually indistinguishable from perfect."

• Color Accuracy of White

• Absolute Color Accuracy

• Shift in Color Accuracy with APL

• Maximum Color Shift with APL

• Image Contrast Accuracy and Intensity Scale Accuracy

• Visible Screen Resolution

The remaining seven categories it met previous records or set new ones were:

• Full Screen Brightness for OLED Smartphones

• Peak Display Brightness

• Contrast Ratio

• Screen Reflectance

• Contrast Rating in Ambient Light

• Brightness Variation with Viewing Angle

• Color Variation of White with Viewing Angle

The iPhone 14 Pro Max achieved such high test scores that DisplayMate says in future it will "raise the performance levels necessary to receive... an A+ Display Rating."

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    jas99jas99 Posts: 150member
    Apple is doomed. Time to move to Android. /s
    AniMilllkruppdoozydozenAlex_VFileMakerFellerwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 13
    Before someone comes up with the stupid idea DisplayMate is biased because they haven’t tested any Samsung phones recently, ask yourself this:

Why hasn’t Samsung provided any devices to test?
    beowulfschmidtFileMakerFellerwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 13
    danoxdanox Posts: 2,872member
    The specifications put forward by Apple is beyond what LG or Samsung are willing to spent on a display, all of the Apple curated displays/monitors are better than anything that LG or Samsung sell, Apple is the Architect and they are the builders tied to a spec, and the same applies to Foxconn or TSMC. Prototypes are build on-shore long beforehand, in short Apple doesn’t leave it up to LG/Samsung/Foxconn or TSMC to figure it out.

Note all the people working in these divisions of Apple won’t be sitting at home.

https://www.cultofmac.com/488008/jony-ive-book-excerpt-iphone/

https://www.macrumors.com/2020/04/14/original-apple-watch-prototypes/

https://appleinsider.com/articles/16/04/29/exclusive-apples-top-secret-athena-chip-fab-gets-new-delicate-equipment

Apple Insider on the ball.
    edited September 2022 dewmewatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 13
    Before someone comes up with the stupid idea DisplayMate is biased because they haven’t tested any Samsung phones recently, ask yourself this:

i don't think anyone with decent amount of technology knowledge would argue against the fact that iPhone 14 Pro Max has the BEST display in ANY smartphone for now (until the next iPhone comes up). Samsung will definitely try to equal/better the iPhone 14 pro max display in S23 Ultra early next year but that has to wait at least for 6 months. For the first time in last decade, Samsung has ceded the display leadership to Apple while they were either equal or better in prior years (S & Note series).
  • Reply 5 of 13

i don't think anyone with decent amount of technology knowledge would argue against the fact that iPhone 14 Pro Max has the BEST display in ANY smartphone for now (until the next iPhone comes up). Samsung will definitely try to equal/better the iPhone 14 pro max display in S23 Ultra early next year but that has to wait at least for 6 months. For the first time in last decade, Samsung has ceded the display leadership to Apple while they were either equal or better in prior years (S & Note series).

Apple was always better than Samsung when both were on the same screen technology. Only time Samsung pulled ahead was the timing of a new phone that had a newer screen. 
    FileMakerFellerwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 13

Samsung would already be doing this though. You think they saw this and we like “oh shit DisplayMate said Apple’s display is perfect, we need to start putting the good displays in now”?
  • Reply 7 of 13

Well… who makes the display? 

Samsung? LG? 

Can’t stand Samsung but…

Credit where it’s due. 
    doozydozenwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 13
    tyler82tyler82 Posts: 1,103member
    Picked up a purple Pro Max today, coming from SE 2, the display is stunning. The fluid animations swiping between home screens and scrolling is unreal. It’s as if motion reality has taken over the display. The always on display is nice too and doesn’t waste much battery. Had it on dinner table while dining outside for 45 mins and the battery percentage didn’t change a bit. 

Treated myself with the Apple leather case, wallet, and new AirPods Pro. A very happy purchase  :)
    edited September 2022 9secondkox2doozydozenMadbumAlex_Vwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 13
    tyler82 said:
    Picked up a purple Pro Max today, coming from SE 2, the display is stunning. The fluid animations swiping between home screens and scrolling is unreal. It’s as if motion reality has taken over the display. The always on display is nice too and doesn’t waste much battery. Had it on dinner table while dining outside for 45 mins and the battery percentage didn’t change a bit. 

Treated myself with the Apple leather case, wallet, and new AirPods Pro. A very happy purchase  :)
    Congrats Tyler! Sounds like an substantial upgrade. Thanks for sharing. I hope you capture some incredible pictures with the impressive camera setup. Try this: open the camera app at nighttime in the house, leave it on 1x and walk into an almost pitch black room (like a bathroom or closet with with no light on and just a sliver of light leaking in from a distant room) the viewfinder will give you superhero vision with the Night mode. It’s kinda a trippy thing to experience.
  • Reply 10 of 13
    Can we have that wallpaper please?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 13
    tyler82tyler82 Posts: 1,103member
    tyler82 said:

Congrats Tyler! Sounds like a substantial upgrade. Thanks for sharing. I hope you capture some incredible pictures with the impressive camera setup. Try this: open the camera app at nighttime in the house, leave it on 1x and walk into an almost pitch black room (like a bathroom or closet with with no light on and just a sliver of light leaking in from a distant room) the viewfinder will give you superhero vision with the Night mode. It’s kinda a trippy thing to experience.
    It’s pretty amazing that FaceID will work anywhere… even in a pitch black room. FaceID has come a long way since my work phone iPhone 11. It just works. And I can take a selfie in a dark room, incredible. 
    The purple is really nice too, it looks more space grey. It catches the light beautifully. Subtle and gorgeous. 

And the AirPods noise canceling is better than I expected. So good that I put them on in my bedroom with the noisy desk fan on high speed, and when noise cancelation kicked in, I literally thought the power went out because the fan went silent. I looked to see if the light was still on in the hallway  :D

but back on topic… the display is incredible. The island animations are fluid and very intuitive feature. A new way to interact with the phone. 
    And even though $1099 is pretty expensive, I would say this is a worthwhile purchase. Spend a few more bucks and get the Pro model!
    edited September 2022 MadbumAlex_VFileMakerFellerwatto_cobradoozydozen
  • Reply 12 of 13
    Just 14 pro max? What about 14 Pro?

same display right?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 13

Well… who makes the display? 

Samsung? LG? 

Can’t stand Samsung but…

Credit where it’s due. 
    Yes they make it but that is only 60 percent of how a display functions. You know that right?

Think of a car engine modified and tuned by BMW racing division and same engine tuned by Hyundai 
    edited September 2022 FileMakerFellerwatto_cobra