Apple Watch Ultra review: Ambitious aspirations

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 22
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,360member
    bc2009 said:
    Reviews keep saying the display is 49mm on the Ultra.  It is NOT.   The “case” is 49mm.  That means the height of the case, NOT the diagonal of the display, is 49mm.   This is how watches are measured.  By the height of the case...

So please, please, please stop with these reviews citing a “49mm display” versus a “45mm display”.  It is misleading to your readers. 
    So you're claiming the diagonal measurement of the display is NOT 49mm. What is the diagonal measurement of the display, as that is how displays are measured, by the diagonal, NOT by height and width of the display or case. Display height and width measurements in pixels are for a different metric, NOT for 'display size'.

At least two sites show the Ultra display as approximately 1.92" which works out to 48.77mm. Rounding up to 49mm is fair, claiming it's not 49mm is accurate but wholly pedantic.

https://www.smartwatchspecifications.com/apple-watch-ultra-features-specs/
    https://everymac.com/systems/apple/apple-watch/specs/apple-watch-ultra-49mm-global-international-a2684.html

So watch you got?

Apple says the Ultra case is 49mm and the display is 49mm. That's more accurate than you/your claim. As to the difference being negligible, that's subjective and also dependent on your ability to resolve the difference in shape as well as size of the Ultra's display compared to previous displays.
  • Reply 22 of 22
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,360member
    donrsd said:
    Once they make the case in GOLD STAINLESS STEEL.....I will buy it.
    Never wear anything silver so the "titanium" aka silver color is a complete turnoff.
    Gold watches are tacky and gaudy af. There’s a reason why steel Rolexes are far more highly coveted than gold ones. 
    Your opinion of gold watches is your opinion and subjective af. The reason why steel Rolexes are "far more highly coveted" (subjective af) is because they're far less expensive than a gold Roli, often a half to a third the price of a gold Roli.

charlesn said:
    The thickness, size and look of the Ultra don't make it a great dress watch. I'm not sure it would even fit under the buttoned cuff of a long sleeve dress shirt. This is highly subjective, of course, but if that's important to you, I'd check it out at an Apple store first. 
    The Ultra isn't my idea of a dress watch but that's the wearer's choice. I don't judge. If somebody wanted to wear it as such they'd have to make sure the cuffs are fitted for it. But the thickness and flat side of the Ultra might be an issue depending on the individual's choice of sartorial splendor.

sflagel said:
    Watches are never supposed to be worn under the sleeve. Never.
    That's a metric ton of crap. The natural hang of a properly fitted long-sleeve shirt takes it down to the end of the wrist, unless you're one of those who wears they shirts and jackets MJ style. So the Watch will always be covered until the wearer raises his arm to check the time. The cuff should be loose enough to easily allow a watch to be worn under the sleeve when the arm isn't raised but allow a time check. 

muthuk_vanalingam