Apple Watch Ultra & AirPods Pro 2 impress, iOS 16 bugs, Apple Store experiences

Posted:
in General Discussion
Real-world testing shows that AirPods Pro 2 has remarkably improved noise cancellation, while putting the Apple Watch Ultra to the test confirms its great battery life. There's also disaster tech, Apple Store experiences, and bugs in iOS 16, all on the AppleInsider podcast.

Some people are trying out the new Apple Watch Ultra by hanging off cliffs, diving deep underwater, or utilizing laboratory testing equipment. But others are wearing it to the supermarket. If you've wondered whether there really is a space in your life for the maxed-out, tripped out, rugged Apple Watch Ultra, listen to host Stephen Robles's adventures in Aisle 9.

This week's podcast could practically have come live from Stephen's local supermarket, because it's also there that he has found out exactly how good the improved AirPods Pro 2 are at noise cancellation. The supermarket is unfortunately also in the path of Hurricane Ian, so consequently, this edition also delves deep into disaster preparations.

Contact your hosts

Sponsored by:

Support the show

Support the show on Patreon or Apple Podcasts to get ad-free episodes every week, access to our private Discord channel, and early release of the show! We would also appreciate a 5-star rating and review in Apple Podcasts

Links from the show

More AppleInsider podcasts

Tune in to our HomeKit Insider podcast covering the latest news, products, apps and everything HomeKit related. Subscribe in Apple Podcasts, Overcast, or just search for HomeKit Insider wherever you get your podcasts.

Subscribe and listen to our AppleInsider Daily podcast for the latest Apple news Monday through Friday. You can find it on Apple Podcasts, Overcast, or anywhere you listen to podcasts.

Podcast artwork from Basic Apple Guy. Download the free wallpaper pack here.

Those interested in sponsoring the show can reach out to us at: [email protected]

Subscribe to AppleInsider on:

Keep up with everything Apple in the weekly AppleInsider Podcast -- and get a fast news update from AppleInsider Daily. Just say, "Hey, Siri," to your HomePod mini and ask for these podcasts, and our latest HomeKit Insider episode too.If you want an ad-free main AppleInsider Podcast experience, you can support the AppleInsider podcast by subscribing for $5 per month through Apple's Podcasts app, or via Patreon if you prefer any other podcast player.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member
    In my experience, AirPods Pro 1st and 2nd don't come anywhere close to offering the NC of over-the-ear headphones like the Max and Sony's. I recently tried the 2nd generation on a flight and found them to be only borderline tolerable for listening to audio content. Going back to Sony on the next leg of my journey was a great relief. That's not to say I don't enjoy the new model--better audio quality, better case features, additional controls--but I am still compelled to carry a pair of over-the-ear headphones for flights.
    edited September 2022
  • Reply 2 of 3
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,304member
    Well, yes … earbud-based ANC is never going to beat over-the-ear headphone ANC.

The obvious said, I would add that a big part of how “effective” ANC on any headphones are has to do with how much you are concentrating on what you are listening to/watching, sort of like how you can ignore the radio if you are negotiating a tricking mountain pass on your drive, completely without headphones.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 3
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,040member
    The enjoyment of ANC technology goes far beyond the audio performance. All headphones bother me after 20-30 minutes so despite superior passive sound isolation from over-the-ear headphones I end up having a more pleasurable listening experience with earbuds.

That’s why my Bose QuietComfort QC25 cans gather dust in a cabinet and my AirPods Pro go everywhere with me. Even to the pool deck. I will say that my ears don’t get hot and sweaty as they would with traditional headphones.

When my AirPods Pro die, I’ll replace them with version 2.
    edited September 2022 CluntBaby92watto_cobra