Apple's Touch ID is probably never coming back to iPhone

Posted:
in iPhone
Apple considered reviving Touch ID for its flagship iPhone models, but despite undergoing testing, it's unlikely that the feature will be returning to the main smartphone lineup anytime soon.

The switch from Touch ID to Face ID has its benefits, as well as its pitfalls, but there is still some preference among users for the fingerprint reader. While sentiment for the older system is still strong, it appears that Apple won't be backtracking from Face ID on the iPhone within the next few generations.

In Sunday's "Power On" newsletter for Bloomberg, Mark Gurman writes that Apple has discussed the possibility of getting Touch ID on high-end iPhones once again.

Apple also reportedly tested features such as in-screen Touch ID, which previously surfaced in reports but ultimately didn't arrive in a final product. There is also a mention of trialling adding Touch ID to a power button, like the iPad Air 4, but that also didn't transpire.

"At this point, I believe Face ID is here to stay and Touch ID won't be returning to flagship iPhones - at least anytime in the forseeable future," writes Gurman.

While an iPhone 15 with Touch ID is probably out of the question, Gurman does suggest that a power button Touch ID could still be used on value-oriented models, like the iPhone SE.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 28
    Why would they?  FaceID is faster, more secure, easier, superior in every regard and has been since the iphoneX.  Apple has said as much in plain English and that is what I have personally observed since upgrading to the iPhone XS in 2018.  The only reason to use touchID now is if it’s a significantly cheaper component (hence keep it in value phones).
    iOS_Guy80williamlondonlkruppdanoxJFC_PAdavgregwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 28
    tundraboytundraboy Posts: 1,908member
    With face masks going out of style, the impetus to revive Touch ID has diminished.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 28
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,921member
    With clever use of notch area into dynamic iceland gave new meaning to FaceID which basically works against to add on-screen touchid. For SE, if Apple can redesign SE with touchid on power button giving more screen area and change frame size few MM here and there can redefine perspective and put new life into cheaper iPhone. 
  • Reply 4 of 28
    hmlongcohmlongco Posts: 562member
    tundraboy said:
    With face masks going out of style, the impetus to revive Touch ID has diminished.
    Out of "style". Yeah. That's exactly how I would have characterized the need for them...
    ciaelijahgFileMakerFellerwatto_cobracurtis hannah
  • Reply 5 of 28
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 4,014member
    Not crazy about the on button fingerprint sensor on my iPad Air. Works okay with no cover, but Apple’s magnetic cover having both a front and back cover makes seating the finger difficult. Waiting for face reader. 
    williamlondondavgregwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 28
    ciacia Posts: 267member
    I long for the time that Touch returns.  I had forgotten how nice it was until I got a MacBook Pro with TouchID on the top right key, and it's just SOOOOOO fast compared to faceID on the phone.  No need to be sure the camera is pointed at you, the phone is right side up, are you paying attention?  None of that, just slap your fingers on the button in any direction and its unlocked instantly.  Far faster than Face ID.
    tokyojimuappleinsiderusercurtis hannah
  • Reply 7 of 28
    tundraboytundraboy Posts: 1,908member
    hmlongco said:
    tundraboy said:
    Out of "style". Yeah. That's exactly how I would have characterized the need for them...
    Grab a dictionary, look up the word "irony".
    DAalsethsphericscstrrfwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 28
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,965member
    I can only speak for myself, but I ran between a third an a half of the time TouchID would refuse to work for me. Wet hands, dirty hands, not in precisely the right spot, stars out of alignment, whatever the reason, it was just a craps shoot. I found I’d have to delete and reenter my fingerprint every year to year and a half or it would stop working completely. OTOH FaceID has a success rate well over 90%. 

So no, I’m not pining for the return of TouchID. 
    davgregscstrrfwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 28
    M68000M68000 Posts: 840member
    Why not have both Face ID and Touch ID?   Android is able to have under screen fingerprint sensor on their phones,  a shame we (Apple users) don’t have it.  
    tokyojimuwilliamlondonlkrupppulseimagesmuthuk_vanalingamcurtis hannah
  • Reply 10 of 28
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,404member
    cia said:
    I long for the time that Touch returns.  I had forgotten how nice it was until I got a MacBook Pro with TouchID on the top right key, and it's just SOOOOOO fast compared to faceID on the phone.  No need to be sure the camera is pointed at you, the phone is right side up, are you paying attention?  None of that, just slap your fingers on the button in any direction and its unlocked instantly.  Far faster than Face ID.
    Oh please. There’s always an outlier. Not faster in any way, shape or form. And the newest phones and iPads allow you to use Face ID when it is being held horizontally. Touch doesn’t work when you’re fingers are wet or damp or wearing gloves. Heck,  Face ID even works when you needed to wear a mask. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 28
    The weird psychological effect of FaceID in iOS16 to me is that it feels as if it’s too easy to unlock my phone, as if it’s not secure anymore. 
    in iOS16 they yet again improved it by allowing your phone to be held in landscape. 

It’s so easy and fast to unlock my phone that I wonder how much is still being truly ‘checked’. I know it’s probably all good and well, but touch at least felt more like a conscious, user-initiated event whereas FaceID could pop-up at anytime and immediately verify me without me even being aware authentication was initiated. 
    curtis hannah
  • Reply 12 of 28
    With touchID my phone is unlocked BEFORE I look at it and with FaceID my phone is unlocked AFTER I look at it. I prefer the touchID experience but its not that important in the grand scheme. If they bring it back cool. If they don't whatever.
    Japheyscstrrfwatto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 28
    jasonfjjasonfj Posts: 570member
    Oh please. There’s always an outlier. Not faster in any way, shape or form. And the newest phones and iPads allow you to use Face ID when it is being held horizontally. Touch doesn’t work when you’re fingers are wet or damp or wearing gloves. Heck,  Face ID even works when you needed to wear a mask. 
    Well here’s another ‘outlier’. I pay for literally everything with my iPhone - up to twenty transactions a day. And I love the fact I don’t have to double click the side button and stare at it before making every one of those transactions.  Small details, but just more fluid with Touch ID. 
    FileMakerFellerappleinsideruserscstrrf
  • Reply 14 of 28
    I hope they don’t eliminate Touch ID completely.

I have continued to buy iPhone 8 and SE models over the past several years specifically because they have Touch ID. With Touch ID there is zero danger someone can take my phone and hold it up to my face to unlock it before I realize what they’re up to.

For me, the  added security of having to perform a purposeful action - touching the unlock button with specific fingers - makes up for the inconvenience when wearing gloves, etc.

It’s nice to have that choice available.
    FileMakerFellerwatto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 28
    danoxdanox Posts: 3,263member
    cia said:
    The AI future say’s TouchID gone….
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 28
    blah64blah64 Posts: 993member
    tundraboy said:

Mask use will come and go as waves of dangerous infectious disease will never go away.  I already see changes in usage in my city at the grocery stores and getting to-go food as the levels of infection go up and down.  If (when) the next variant of our current mess brings notably worse outcomes again then we'll see a big bump back up in usage. 

FaceID can never work as well with masks as it does without masks.  Having zero practical options for some people to open their phones without entering a password is a huge step backward.  I'm a huge fan of being able to subtly unlock my device under a table momentarily, and have zero interest in ever using FaceID.  I understand that's not the same opinion as some other people, but removing TouchID from *every* new device would be a highly contentious change for many people.
    FileMakerFellerscstrrfblurpbleepbloopcurtis hannah
  • Reply 17 of 28
    JFC_PAJFC_PA Posts: 946member
    Anyone with an Apple Watch has a very workable alternative to looking at their iPhone to open it. Or pay for stuff. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 28
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,921member
    There are people who will always like TouchID. It seems Apple will implement dynamic iceland faceid on all devices currently having THE Notch. It's coming.
  • Reply 19 of 28
    tundraboy said:
    And now FaceID works with masks (at a reduced security I think), but having it work at the grocery store has been a real help!
    scstrrfwatto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 28
    When will Apple solve the biggest security breach that anyone can unlock your iPhone simply by calling it?