Apple reportedly agrees to TSMC chip price hike

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 23
    rezwitsrezwits Posts: 879member
    Paul_B said:
    You CANNOT get smaller than 4nm in the Laws of Physics - Do the research yourself.  As for dams, well research that as well.
    Actually, as someone else pointed out, "Do the research yourself."  Things have changed, one of the main reasons this was the case was because of "heat" and "power" used.

Which, wait have you read about Apple Silicon?  And how they use less power and create less heat?

Used to be the transistors would melt or fuse together and other corruption (of data flow)...

Gees...
    FileMakerFellerwatto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 23
    blastdoor said:
    tiger2 said:
    Apple doesn’t have a choice. Where else will they get their chips made?
    Currently there is no choice. Apple has to hope Intel foundry makes good on their roadmap — that’s probably the best hope for a TSMC alternative. Given Intel’s track record over the last 7 years, that’s not a great hope.
    Intel is booking production from TSMC. That may change in the future if they get their act together.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 23
    bageljoey said:
    Paul_B said:

You CANNOT get smaller than 4nm in the Laws of Physics - Do the research yourself.  As for dams, well research that as well.
    Hahahahahaha!  “Do the research!”  I spit out my coffee reading this. 
    I did a research paper on silicon for an applied chemistry class back in 91 or 92. I had a stack of books that very clearly and definitively stated that 100 nm was the absolute smallest transistor size possible, but that was just a theoretical limit—200 was probably the practical limit. Because of the laws of physics. 

The laws of physics may be inmutable, but our understanding of them is in constant flux. 
    Or, as Star Trek might have put it:

Scott: "Ye cannae break the laws of physics, Captain!"
    Kirk: "Mr Scott, I can think of no other man with a better chance of bending them a little."
    watto_cobra