Netflix ad-supported streaming plan has arrived

Posted:
in General Discussion
Details have emerged for the new Netflix "Basic With Ads" steaming plan that will be available to in November.

Netflix
Netflix

The new "Basic With Ads" plan will include most of the company's entire catalog of TV shows and movies, although some won't be available at first due to licensing restrictions. Viewers will see four to five minutes of ads per hour, with each ad running from 15 to 30 seconds in length. Ads will play before and during shows and movies.

The Basic With Ads plan will sit alongside the Basic, Standard, and Premium plans and will be limited to 720p content.

Basic with Ads launches November 3 at 9 AM Pacific Time, 12 PM Eastern Time for people in Australia, Brazil, Canada, France, Germany, Italy, Japan, Korea, Mexico, Spain, the UK, and the US. People can sign up via Netflix.com and register with their email, date of birth, and gender.

For advertisers, Netflix will have broad targeting capabilities by country and genre. Advertisers can prevent their ads from appearing on content that contains sex, nudity, or graphic violence.

Apple is reportedly considering an ad-supported plan for Apple TV+ as well. On October 12, media agency reports claimed Apple is exploring the idea as part of its push to increase ad revenues.

Sources said that Todd Teresi, Apple's vice president of ad platforms, had been meeting with ad network executives. One unnamed media agency source said they were meeting with Teresi in November, believing it would be about TV ads.

"[Teresi] did express interest in expanding their [ad] business," said the source, "but he also made it very clear that Apple will do nothing unless one, there's a significant opportunity, and two, they would never do anything to jeopardize the relationship they have with their consumers."

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    Limiting it to 720p content makes it much less interesting. 
    mike1bklynguy999watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 13
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Well, $20/mo for 4K and Dolby Vision/HDR is even less interesting.
    williamlondonzeus423forgot username
  • Reply 3 of 13
    It might be interesting to poor people, which is kind of the point.
    tyler82grandact73forgot usernamebala1234
  • Reply 4 of 13
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,286member
    lkrupp said:
    Not really. I much prefer the 4K content when available. You can also have more devices playing simultaneously.

Spitbathwilliamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 13
    Garbage. Still no 4K for one or two seat packages. Because 4 seats is for families who are famously looking for more advanced technology, and not just reality shows and other crap programming at any resolution. 
    tokyojimuwatto_cobraforgot username
  • Reply 6 of 13
    lkrupp said:
    Unless you give a crap about how something looks (many of us do), then yeah, not interesting. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 13
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,573member
    Advertisers can prevent their ads from appearing on content that contains sex, nudity, or graphic violence.
    I would hope that I can also prevent ads that are in French. Here in Canada, I get lots of ads from similar services (eg, Youtube) that feed me French ads even though I can't speak a word of it and have never watched a French video. It's an insult to me when I'm told "you should speak French because you live in Canada," just as it's an insult to tell francophones here that they should speak English. I'd also like to prevent ads that are selling drugs, like alcohol. Why would any company not want to know what kind of ads their customers want to see? 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 13
    Meh. Good luck Netflix.

They're flailing (sold my NFLX that I'd long held).
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 13
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,305member
    I despise interruption ads and general commercials (except UK Xmas adverts), so there is no chance of me ever paying for a streaming service that has them. It’s either free with ads or not free, and no, holding 4K hostage isn’t going to change that, NETFLIX (or YOUTUBE).

Netflix these days is just plain a bad value at any price point. I think most people could binge the few shows/movies of high quality to them in a single month if not quicker (I don’t have that kinda free time).

We recently rejoined Disney+ during the flash sale, so we’re paying $80 for the year. Given how new or new-to-us content they’ve added since we last had it, we’re confident we will get our money’s worth — and there’s no 4K “premium” BS tier.

This “Netflix with ads” low-rez tier is for bored cable TV viewers on a budget. It will look “fine” on their aging tube and 1080p flatscreen TVs.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 13
    danoxdanox Posts: 2,874member
    DVD’s coming back…..
    forgot username
  • Reply 11 of 13
    So many Hulu originals (Handmaid's Tale comes to mind) have obvious breakpoints where you can tell where the commercials would have been if you were on the ad-supported plan. This has always made Hulu originals feel cheaper than say HBO, AppleTV+, or even some Netflix originals. Even when the commercials aren't there it feels very much like watching linear TV. That annoys the shit out of me! (Speaking of annoying, thank god Hulu stopped putting logos in the corner of every show!!!)

What is also annoying is the way YouTube will drop an ad in the middle of a monologue. Just when you least expect it.

So, I'm curious which approach Netflix will go with since most of their legacy originals do not have defined breakpoints. Will their future programming take ads into consideration in the editing bay? Will the ads be abrupt? All in all, this all feels very much like Netflix is diluting their reputation and it's hard to imagine them continuing to be able to position themselves as some Emmy and Oscar seeking prestige brand. 
    mac daddy zeechasmwatto_cobraforgot username
  • Reply 12 of 13
    davidwdavidw Posts: 2,053member
    Appleish said:
    Garbage. Still no 4K for one or two seat packages. Because 4 seats is for families who are famously looking for more advanced technology, and not just reality shows and other crap programming at any resolution. 
    You are not thinking this out correctly. You are thinking that some how, paying for  4K with two streams will save you any significant amount of money. That is wrong.

If HD with 2 streams already cost subscribers $15.49, then the proper way to think about this is that 4K with 2 streams will cost more than $15.49. After all, you'll be getting 4K. So lets say that Netflix comes out with 4K with 2 stream and charges $17.99. (That's just an extra $2.50 to upgrade from HD to 4K) That means that you are only paying $2.01 for two more streams.

There are way too many people that thinks the proper way to determine the cost of each stream is to divide the subscription cost by the number of streams. So a 4 stream 4K plan should cost $5 for 1 stream and $10 for 2 stream. Netflix makes their money by charging a subscription to a Standard, Basic or Premium plan. Not by charging  subscribers per stream, with each plan. It's setting up the subscriber with the first stream in each plan, that cost Netflix the most and the extra steams are given away nearly for free, as it cost Netflix nearly nothing to offer those extra streams.

Spitbath