2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 27
    XedXed Posts: 2,812member
    Xed said:
    Xed said:
    dewme said:
    red oak said:
    A better way to analyze attach rates is using installed bases, not quarterly sales.  People buy iPhones and Watches on different timetables 

Using those metrics, the attach rate is approx: 

150 million Watches / 1.1 billion iPhones = 13.6% 
    I don't know if one way of looking at attach rate is necessarily better than another. Both ways provide useful information but over different time windows. If you're actively doing something to try to boost attach rate, like modifying your marketing mix in some way (which includes product changes), looking at the delta in a smaller time window may give you more immediate feedback about the effectiveness of your campaign.

What strikes me as a bit counterintuitive with respect to the iPhone-Apple Watch attachment is that over the last few Apple Watch releases Apple has actually made the watch more autonomous and less reliant on the iPhone. That would seemingly result in a decrease or slower rate of growth in the attach rate. This may lend more credence to your interpretation of what is a better way of looking at the attach rate for this particular pair of products. 

My gut feeling here is that the Apple Watch has simply become a more attractive product on its own and the attach rate with iPhone has less to do with iPhone and more to do with Apple Watch itself. The iPhone is still obviously a halo product that buoys up a wide range of other Apple products, and yes, you still need an iPhone to setup and make best use of an Apple Watch, but I think the Apple Watch is largely improving its attractiveness based on its own merits. If the hard iPhone dependency went away the Apple Watch would probably still do quite well.
    As far as I know the Watch still requires the owner to also own an iPhone. That means that all Watch owners also own iPhones. This can't even be setup using an iPad at this point, AFAICT. This means that Apple Watch to iPhone use is effectively an easy sales of one divided by the sales to the other, multiplied by 100. Only Apple would have a better ratio with iCloud account linking to be able to weed out people with multiple iPhones and Watches, or even weed out iPhones used as single-used devices by companies, for example, to get more accurate ratios.
    I think this is due to iPad does not have GPS. 
    I'm not saying you're wrong, but I'm not understanding how GPS would affect the ability to setup up an Apple Watch with a Watch app.
    To setup Apple Watch you need a device that has both cellular and GPS. 
    1) Why do you think this? Are you claiming that I can't disable cellular and use WiFi to setup an Apple Watch? What does GPS have to do with setting it up?

2) Assuming for a second that it needs Cellular+GPS, then why is this not possible on iPads that have those chips which is "a device that has both cellular and GPS."
  • Reply 22 of 27
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Xed said:
    Xed said:
    Xed said:
    dewme said:
    red oak said:
    A better way to analyze attach rates is using installed bases, not quarterly sales.  People buy iPhones and Watches on different timetables 

Using those metrics, the attach rate is approx: 

150 million Watches / 1.1 billion iPhones = 13.6% 
    I don't know if one way of looking at attach rate is necessarily better than another. Both ways provide useful information but over different time windows. If you're actively doing something to try to boost attach rate, like modifying your marketing mix in some way (which includes product changes), looking at the delta in a smaller time window may give you more immediate feedback about the effectiveness of your campaign.

What strikes me as a bit counterintuitive with respect to the iPhone-Apple Watch attachment is that over the last few Apple Watch releases Apple has actually made the watch more autonomous and less reliant on the iPhone. That would seemingly result in a decrease or slower rate of growth in the attach rate. This may lend more credence to your interpretation of what is a better way of looking at the attach rate for this particular pair of products. 

My gut feeling here is that the Apple Watch has simply become a more attractive product on its own and the attach rate with iPhone has less to do with iPhone and more to do with Apple Watch itself. The iPhone is still obviously a halo product that buoys up a wide range of other Apple products, and yes, you still need an iPhone to setup and make best use of an Apple Watch, but I think the Apple Watch is largely improving its attractiveness based on its own merits. If the hard iPhone dependency went away the Apple Watch would probably still do quite well.
    As far as I know the Watch still requires the owner to also own an iPhone. That means that all Watch owners also own iPhones. This can't even be setup using an iPad at this point, AFAICT. This means that Apple Watch to iPhone use is effectively an easy sales of one divided by the sales to the other, multiplied by 100. Only Apple would have a better ratio with iCloud account linking to be able to weed out people with multiple iPhones and Watches, or even weed out iPhones used as single-used devices by companies, for example, to get more accurate ratios.
    I think this is due to iPad does not have GPS. 
    I'm not saying you're wrong, but I'm not understanding how GPS would affect the ability to setup up an Apple Watch with a Watch app.
    To setup Apple Watch you need a device that has both cellular and GPS. 
    1) Why do you think this? Are you claiming that I can't disable cellular and use WiFi to setup an Apple Watch? What does GPS have to do with setting it up?

2) Assuming for a second that it needs Cellular+GPS, then why is this not possible on iPads that have those chips which is "a device that has both cellular and GPS."
    He's banging on about iPads and GPS in every thread he can shoehorn it in.  Ignore his nonsense, he's obviously wrong and baiting for attention.

You may as well say "To setup Apple Watch you need a device that has both cellular and an Apple calculator app."  Just as true as the GPS poppycock.
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 23 of 27
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,153member
    temperor said:
    Nope, you can setup an Apple Watch for someone else, as long as a family member has an iPhone … So you could buy for your children an AW cellular and set it up for them, or for you parents ….
    This is correct.

Apple actually made a point of specifically mentioning this during one of their keynotes (I forget which one).

For sure there is a document that describes how to do this somewhere on the Apple support site. And I bet if you go to a bricks-and-mortar Apple Store with the intent of purchasing an Apple Watch for a family member who doesn't have an iPhone, they will help you set it up.
    edited October 2022
  • Reply 24 of 27
    Xed said:
    temperor said:
    Xed said:
    Nope, you can setup an Apple Watch for someone else, as long as a family member has an iPhone … So you could buy for your children an AW cellular and set it up for them, or for you parents ….
    The parent buying the AW and setting it up is still the owner in that scenario. Again, you need an iPhone to setup up the Watch which means that the Watch is still dependent on an iPhone to set up, which is the limitation that dewme was addressing in his comment.
    All owners of an Apple Watch do not own an iPhone, I know because my parents bought AW, I did the setup, never looked back, THEY PAID and OWN the Apple Watch … One child got an AW, that I own, but the other one brought one so she own’s it … So I own 2 watches, but have setup 5 ;-) 
  • Reply 25 of 27
    temperor said:
    Xed said:
    temperor said:
    Xed said:
    The parent buying the AW and setting it up is still the owner in that scenario. Again, you need an iPhone to setup up the Watch which means that the Watch is still dependent on an iPhone to set up, which is the limitation that dewme was addressing in his comment.
    All owners of an Apple Watch do not own an iPhone, I know because my parents bought AW, I did the setup, never looked back, THEY PAID and OWN the Apple Watch … One child got an AW, that I own, but the other one brought one so she own’s it … So I own 2 watches, but have setup 5 ;-) 
    JFC. I didn't use the word "own" in my last comment to you so let me spell it out for you because you're getting bogged down on a definition which is throwing you off course. Once again, you can't setup an Apple Watch without using an iPhone to do it. You can't use a Mac. You can't use an iPad. You can't do it all on the Watch itself.

The fact that someone else can own an iPhone to set it up is inconsequential to the fucking point.
    edited October 2022 muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 26 of 27
    Xed said:
    temperor said:
    Xed said:
    temperor said:
    Xed said:
    JFC. I didn't use the word "own" in my last comment to you so let me spell it out for you because you're getting bogged down on a definition which is throwing you off course. Once again, you can't setup an Apple Watch without using an iPhone to do it. You can't use a Mac. You can't use an iPad. You can't do it all on the Watch itself.

The fact that someone else can own an iPhone to set it up is inconsequential to the fucking point.
    In your initial statement you were wrong, we all know you need an iPhone to setup an AW.
  • Reply 27 of 27
    temperor said:
    Xed said:
    temperor said:
    Xed said:
    temperor said:
    Xed said:

In your initial statement you were wrong, we all know you need an iPhone to setup an AW.
    I wasn't wrong, I clarified my point, which you still are not understanding. At least wavepartical addressed it, even if it was a dumb comment about Apple Watch setup requires a device with GPS. So, again, and for the last fucking time, I would love to see the Watch to be configurable with an iPad and Mac, not just an iPhone, not beholden to setup with an iPhone.
    edited October 2022 muthuk_vanalingam