Big iMessage redesign rumored for iOS 17

Posted:
in iOS edited April 2023
A sketchy leak suggests that Apple is working on an updated version of iMessage with chat rooms and AR features built for a headset.

An iMessage redesign could be released alongside an AR headset
An iMessage redesign could be released alongside an AR headset

The leak comes from a Twitter user named Majin Bu, who has a middling accuracy record. He says the information comes from one of his unnamed sources.

The leak says iMessage will have a "new home," chat rooms, video clips, and AR chat features in iOS 17. It isn't clear if this leak is backed by visual evidence or if it is just verbal communication with the leaker.

Majin Bu shared an image with the leak that shows an obvious mockup, not an actual screenshot. There are numerous errors throughout the images that clearly signify a hasty photoshop mockup.

A redesign of Apple's iMessage system seems like an obvious move for the company as it tries to keep up with other chat apps like Facebook Messenger and WeChat. Apple hasn't changed much about how iMessage works other than enhancing group chats and adding pinned conversations in recent years.

According with my resource, Apple is working on a new version of iMessage completely renewed. New home, chat rooms, video clips, and new chat features in AR. It should be released next year along with the new headset #Apple #AppleAR #iMessage pic.twitter.com/Wp2WT8apNX

-- Majin Bu (@MajinBuOfficial)

The AR aspect of the leak seems to hint that the redesign is necessary for an AR headset platform. However, the iPhone and iPad already have AR capabilities, so the feature may not be limited to the Apple AR headset.

Majin Bu has previously leaked a supposed schematic of an M1 Ultra interconnect that would be used on a Mac Pro released in 2022. He also recently suggested that the "iPhone 15" would have two selfie cameras.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    Two of the three features listed are already in effect on phones. 

AR features is a given as Apple has been public about pursuing this direction. 

The “leaker” may as well have guessed this as everyone is already expecting AR in everything - especially with the rumored AR glasses coming up. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 6
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,286member

A redesign of Apple's iMessage system seems like an obvious move for the company as it tries to keep up with other chat apps like Facebook Messenger and WeChat. Apple hasn't changed much about how iMessage works other than enhancing group chats and adding pinned conversations in recent years.

Don't really think Apple is trying to keep up or concerned with FB Messenger.
    jas99twokatmewlkruppwatto_cobrawilliamlondon
  • Reply 3 of 6
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    In the meantime, I’d settle for some basic BIU formatting options in Messages. Maybe throw in strikethrough for an extra bonus. 
    edited October 2022 lkruppwatto_cobraigorsky
  • Reply 4 of 6
    Fred257Fred257 Posts: 237member
    This leaker has been highly accurate 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 6
    mac_dogmac_dog Posts: 1,069member
    I don’t usually have any complaints about apple, but they should consider fixing the iMessage issue about sending SMS texts with a VPN. It’s maddening. 
    watto_cobrawilliamlondon
  • Reply 6 of 6
    mac_dog said:
    I don’t usually have any complaints about apple, but they should consider fixing the iMessage issue about sending SMS texts with a VPN. It’s maddening. 
    Perhaps you already know this, but some people won't, so I'll mention it here. A VPN does not secure SMS text messages. That's a misunderstanding many people have. A VPN does not touch SMS traffic, because SMS traffic does not travel over the Internet, it travels over your mobile phone's cellular voice control channel. 

And a VPN doesn't secure any data, including internet data, from the eyes of the VPN company. The VPN company can read all your data. All VPN companies say "you can trust us not to look at your data" but I'm not so sure, since all VPN companies are subject to the laws of the countries that they operate in. Maybe you trust all private companies, but I don't.

P.S. Some Samsung phones (using Android) have the same problem with sending SMS texts with a VPN. It's not strictly an Apple problem.