LG's new 32-inch Smart Monitor has AirPlay 2 for streaming content

Posted:
in General Discussion
LG has released a new 32-inch 4K Smart Monitor with AirPlay 2, USB-C connectivity, and ThinQ Home for controlling smart home accessories.

LG monitor with AirPlay 2
LG monitor with AirPlay 2

The smartness of the 4K 60Hz monitor comes from the company's webOS, software that also powers LG smart TVs. It includes various streaming apps, such as Netflix and Hulu, as well as a smart home dashboard for controlling some connected smart accessories.

The monitor also supports AirPlay 2, an upgrade to Apple's original network protocol for streaming audio or video from an Apple device to another device over a network. Specifically, AirPlay 2 lets people stream audio to multiple devices at once.

Apple customers can use AirPlay 2 with the LG Smart Monitor to mirror an iPhone or Mac display, stream video from compatible apps, and stream audio to the monitor's two 5W stereo speakers.

Specifications

• Weight: 24.5 pounds
  • Dimensions: 16.1 x 28.1 x 25.5 inches
  • Color: White
  • Voltage: 240 volts AC
The monitor has an Ergo stand, an ergonomic stand from LG that users can position to a preferred height, angle, and distance for a comfortable viewing experience.

The ergonomic stand can be adjusted to a user's liking
The ergonomic stand can be adjusted to a user's liking

It can extend and retract from zero to 180mm, or just over seven inches, swivel to around 280 degrees total, and pivot 90 degrees to a horizontal or vertical position. The tilt range is approximately 25 degrees, and people can adjust the monitor's height from zero to 130mm, or around 5.1 inches.

LG includes a USB-C 65W port, two HDMI ports, three USB-A ports, and an Ethernet port.

Pricing & Availability

The LG Smart Monitor model 32SQ780S is sold on Amazon for $499.99 and should be available soon as the company builds up its product stock.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,245member
    So basically a Smart TV in a monitor's clothing.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 15
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    Long live the sunflower iMac! 
    jeffharriswatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 15
    omasouomasou Posts: 576member
    How about...forget the laptop speakers and lower the price by a couple of $$
    edited October 2022 watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 15
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,322member
    So how well does it work?

Does it handshake cleanly and quickly with a host Mac on USB-c, Share the Ethernet in a set and forget way? 

Yes I'm a bit burnt by a monitor like this that promised a lot delivered far less in practical terms. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 15
    Am I the only person here that would avoid buying a Smart TV because I worry about privacy and security?
    docno42baconstangCluntBaby92watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 15
    danoxdanox Posts: 2,872member
    You get what you pay for, sometimes things are to good to be true and this is one of them.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 15
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    Holy hell - the last thing I want is a monitor connected to the Internet!

However if I could use that Ethernet port over USB-C then it might make a compelling dock for my MBP.  Interesting.
  • Reply 8 of 15
    No HDR? Even Xbox Series X and PS5 use that as an option for gaming.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 15
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,305member
    Am I the only person here that would avoid buying a Smart TV because I worry about privacy and security?
    You are not, but basically all TVs are smart TVs now, so here’s how to buy one and un-smart it:

1. Buy a smart TV.
    2. Agree to everything, hook it to your wi-fi, check for new firmware. If there is some, update it.
    3. Once that’s done, turn off the Wi-Fi. Do not turn it back on. Voila! You now have a “dumb” TV.
    4. Purchase and attach an Apple TV 4K box. Attach *IT* to your Wi-Fi.
    5. Now you have a security and privacy-focused smart (Apple) TV. Enjoy.
    muthuk_vanalingamentropysdecoderringjeffharrismacguiwatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 15
    I wish Apple would bring out a 27” iMac so I didn’t have to consider the ins and outs of monitors and which one to buy. My 27” iMac is getting old.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 15
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,168member
    Port selection is bad. Very bad. Two hdmi, one Ethernet, No DP, slow USBc charging port for MacBook Pro, with only 65w.

Sad because I do like ergo design.

get a dell u2723qe with a 90W USBc, a decent usb dock set up, DP, HDMI and Ethernet. And put a fire stick 4K in one of the hdmi ports. Vastly superior. You can split screen between ports.

• Reply 12 of 15
    chasm said:
    You are not, but basically all TVs are smart TVs now, so here’s how to buy one and un-smart it:

1. Buy a smart TV.
    2. Agree to everything, hook it to your wi-fi, check for new firmware. If there is some, update it.
    3. Once that’s done, turn off the Wi-Fi. Do not turn it back on. Voila! You now have a “dumb” TV.
    4. Purchase and attach an Apple TV 4K box. Attach *IT* to your Wi-Fi.
    5. Now you have a security and privacy-focused smart (Apple) TV. Enjoy.
    That's basically what I do.

Apple TV for streaming and a region-free Blu-ray player connected to my smart TV and KEF wireless speakers.
    I have cable service, but only use it for internet and to activate streaming services. That's it.
    NO TV.

In my bedroom, I use a dumb monitor connected to an Apple TV, region-free Blu-ray layer and KEF wireless speakers.
    NO TV there, either
    watto_cobrachasm
  • Reply 13 of 15
    22july2013 said:
    docno42 said:
    Holy hell - the last thing I want is a monitor connected to the Internet!

However if I could use that Ethernet port over USB-C then it might make a compelling dock for my MBP.  Interesting.
    @Chasm gave a good reply and is exactly what I did with my Insignia TV with an embedded Roku. In my case, I also had changed my wi-if password when I decided to de-smart the TV, so it had no way to access the Internet.

The only thing I would add is don’t hook up the Ethernet if this is a concern to you. There is a chance that the device has an Ethernet switch inside and can also use the same Ethernet connection for Internet access.

Edit: originally quoted wrong post
  • Reply 14 of 15
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,360member
    mattinoz said:
    So how well does it work?

Does it handshake cleanly and quickly with a host Mac on USB-c, Share the Ethernet in a set and forget way? 

Yes I'm a bit burnt by a monitor like this that promised a lot delivered far less in practical terms. 
    As this monitor was only announced yesterday, you'll probably have to wait until somebody actually gets one to fully test and review.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 15
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    chasm said:
    I wouldn't be surprised if these "smart" devices don't start coming with integrated, always on cellular modems.  Hell you can't buy a car these days that doesn't have an always on cellular modem integrated with it.
    edited October 2022