YouTube drops 'experiment' reserving 4K for paying viewers

Posted:
in General Discussion
Following multiple reports that YouTube was planning to charge viewers to watch 4K videos, the company has called it an experiment that has now been "turned off."

As previously reported, a number of YouTube users were being blocked from watching videos in 4K quality. While it did not affect all users, those who were blocked also saw a message saying 4K was a Premium feature that needed them to upgrade.

YouTube then confirmed that there were a number of users being shown an experiment "to know better the feature preferences [of] Premium and non-Premium viewers." Now, however, it has responded to users on Twitter, saying that the experiment is over.

we've fully turned off this experiment. viewers should now be able to access 4K quality resolutions without Premium membership. we're here if you have other q's

-- TeamYouTube (@TeamYouTube)

YouTube has not commented further, however. So it is not clear yet whether the company has abandoned the plan or is still evaluating the results and, presumably, the online backlash it received.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    badmonkbadmonk Posts: 1,295member
    This is why I have a problem with Google-Alphabet services—the constant churn of business models that lack follow-through etc.

So how did they determine who was going to be part of this little experiment?  I suspect they picked people based on browsing habits, purchase history, etc etc.

And what about the poor saps that subscribed just for the 4K experience? Do they have a choice now to downscale their subscription now that everyone has access to 4K content?  Are they even aware?

I doubt it.
    watto_cobraAlex1N
  • Reply 2 of 2
    Alex1NAlex1N Posts: 132member
    Yeah, right. ‘Experiment’. Pull the other one, Stalkers-R-Us. I use YouTube as little as possible now, and even then not logged in.