Apple Store goes down ahead of expected iPad launch

Posted:
in iPad edited October 2022
Apple has taken down its online store in advance of a refresh that is expected to include a new M2 iPad Pro.

As it always does ahead of a major launch, Apple has replaced its whole online store with a "Be right back" notice. It went down at approximately 8 a.m. Eastern, and rumors suggest that there will be a press release announcement, and the resumption of the store, at 9 a.m. Eastern.

Apple has of course not revealed what it is going to release, but persistent rumors say that it will be a revamped iPad Pro featuring the new M2 processor.

It's believed that the processor will make the new iPad Pro around 20% faster than the current M1 model.

Separately, it's also been rumored that a new M2 iPad Pro may feature MagSafe charging, perhaps hew smart connectors, and also mini-LED backlighting in the 11-inch iPad Pro.

Ahead of the expected launch, a 2022 iPad case was seemingly revealed at a Target store. As well as being apparently for an as-yet unreleased iPad, the case packaging claimed support for the Apple Pencil second generation.

That would support previous rumors of the regular, base iPad getting a redesign to match the flat sides of the iPad Pro range, as the Pencil snaps to the side for charging.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    I’m at the Apple store right now and it’s still up, and I live in the northeast.

sflagelmSakwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 12
    UK on-line store is still up, showing M1 iPad Pro.
    Laroche1982watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 12
    mwhitemwhite Posts: 287member
    I’m at the Apple store right now and it’s still up, and I live in the northeast.

Click on buy and it's down.
    Bart Ymike1watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 12
    mSakmSak Posts: 22member

Are you sure you’re not surrounded by falling bricks? Check again. Maybe you got a concussion and don’t know it.

LOL.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 12
    Bart YBart Y Posts: 64unconfirmed, member
    Yep, if on IOS Apple Store App, it’s down.  If on Apple.com, hit buy for anything and it’s down too.  As of 6:30am PDT.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 12
    mSak said:

Are you sure you’re not surrounded by falling bricks? Check again. Maybe you got a concussion and don’t know it.

LOL.

No smart ass I’m talking about the Apple Store online. It’s still up and running get a clue. Perhaps, the author of this post is full of shit like you. 
    edited October 2022
  • Reply 7 of 12
    mSak said:

LOL.

No smart ass I’m talking about the Apple Store online. It’s still up and running get a clue. Perhaps, the author of this post is full of shit like you. 
    I’m not the person you’re responding to, but it was just a lame joke. Not a great start for you. Plus, you’re wrong, as others have pointed out. It wasn’t and still isn’t “up and running” — the Apple web site was/is up, but the actual store that you enter when you hit “buy” was/is down. 
    mike1Bart Ywatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 12
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,564member
    Less than five seconds ago the Apple Store came back up (at least in Canada.) These words were pre-typed to ensure it was under five seconds ago.

EDIT: 

Introducing the all‑new iPad and iPad Pro.

edited October 2022 watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 12
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,350member
    As the site is up but the Store is closed, how long does it actually take Apple to update it with new or updated products? Leaving it "down" for a minimum amount of time does build a bit of suspense and anticipation in some people. So maybe after being updated it stays down for awhile so more netizens realize new or updated products are in the offing.

I could be in the market for a new iPad Pro. Mine can't use iOS 16. Nothing in the rumors shows any must-haveness.
    Bart Ywatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 12
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,350member
    And now it's Open.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 12
    New iPads and Apple TV?  No Macs?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 12
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,192member
    store.apple.com was effectively down for many days, as examining one's bag or checking out led to a page-not-found error. Only the Apple Store app seemed to work. All avenues work now though.
    watto_cobra