New Apple TV 4K with A15, HDR10+, more storage debuts

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 52
    One last thought, did they already or will they in the future with a software update add HDR10+ to the prior generation AppleTV 4K?  Seems like a simple thing to do.
    edited October 2022
  • Reply 42 of 52
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    mike1 said:
    Just noticed that the new ATV does not include the cable to charge the remote. So need to add another $19 for a new cable.
    You seriously don't have a lightening cable hanging around already?
  • Reply 43 of 52
     But I do wish they’d incorporated a toslink output in the new models, as they did in some previous models. 
    ARC is far superior to toslink - and soundbar/receiver firmware finally seems to be stable enough that ARC is no longer a PITA to get working.
  • Reply 44 of 52
    stompy said:
    Most? The only home automation mesh networks I'm aware of are Thread and Zigbee. What are the others?
    Zwave and Insteon - although Insteon is now dead.  All my stuff is zwave but anything new I buy from now on will probably be Thread.

Any of them are far superior to Wifi IMNSHO.
    dewme
  • Reply 45 of 52
    On a serious note though are non-iPhone users just expected to fork over $20 for a lightning cable now? Not a deal breaker by any means, but an odd decision considering the dwindling amount of lightning based accessories.
    Anyone forking over $20 for a cable is being very dumb.  Heck dollar stores have had USB, lightning and now USB-C cables forever - and for charging even the worst quality dollar store cables are more than adequate.  

I'm glad Apple is no longer including now easily redundant cables.  At this point the vast majority of people have more than one of these cables floating around already.  The amount of ewaste dropping stuff like this produces is significant, and long overdue.
    curtis hannah
  • Reply 46 of 52
    stompystompy Posts: 408member
    illrigger said:
    mike1 said:
    starof80 said:
    I have the first gen 4K model and really don’t plan to upgrade. Yes Thread and Matter is nice, but the A10X is still a beast. I don’t really game on it so the bigger storage doesn’t matter to me that much. I have a HomePod Mini that I can use for Thread.

The more Thread devices throughout the home, the more reliable the network.
    To be fair, that's true of most dedicated home automation standards. For example, Thread isn't superior to Zigbee in that regard, which is why Philips Hue has managed to stay on top of the game for so long. The reason people have had such low opinions of home automation devices in general and tout the superiority of Thread so much is the huge number of cheap and unreliable WiFi connected devices out there, and the fact that the more WiFi devices you have on your network, the worse all of them work thanks to collision domain issues.
    I replied earlier asking "besides Thread and Zigbee, what other home automation is mesh" ... but I can't quote my own reply.  :( 

I completely forgot about Control4 and Z-Wave (distinct from Zigbee), which is funny, since I owned both in the past. There's probably more than these.
  • Reply 47 of 52
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,286member
    dasjetta said:
    My question is regarding all that new found processing power.  How well does it upscale older content?  The new Fire TV Cube has “super resolution upscaling,” a feature that upscales high definition content so that it looks closer in sharpness and detail to native 4K video.  Will the new AppleTV with the A15 Bionic chip do this?  Has it been doing it all along in the background and Apple makes no reference to it?  If not I wonder if Apple has plans to release a software update that includes it.  I have a real itch to try out the new Fire TV Cube just for that feature alone.  I can't stand their OS though.  I have 3 TV's in the house and all of them run on AppleTV and I've already pre-ordered 3 of the new ones with 128GB. Expensive to be sure but the experience is superior.
    ATV has been doing excellent up-scaling of HD content since the first 4K model was introduced.

docno42 said:
    mike1 said:
    Just noticed that the new ATV does not include the cable to charge the remote. So need to add another $19 for a new cable.
    You seriously don't have a lightening cable hanging around already?

Yes. Many, but the new remote requires a USB-C cable. Only have one of those so far, so I would buy a second.
    edited October 2022
  • Reply 48 of 52
    docno42 said:
    On a serious note though are non-iPhone users just expected to fork over $20 for a lightning cable now? Not a deal breaker by any means, but an odd decision considering the dwindling amount of lightning based accessories.
    Anyone forking over $20 for a cable is being very dumb.  Heck dollar stores have had USB, lightning and now USB-C cables forever - and for charging even the worst quality dollar store cables are more than adequate.  

I'm glad Apple is no longer including now easily redundant cables.  At this point the vast majority of people have more than one of these cables floating around already.  The amount of ewaste dropping stuff like this produces is significant, and long overdue.
    Lightning cables in the box are never redundant though, because if there's one thing you can count on, it's that when you really need to use one, it will be broken and you need to find a spare. Good riddance to poor standards.
    muthuk_vanalingamforgot username
  • Reply 49 of 52
    stompy said:
    illrigger said:
    mike1 said:
    starof80 said:
    I have the first gen 4K model and really don’t plan to upgrade. Yes Thread and Matter is nice, but the A10X is still a beast. I don’t really game on it so the bigger storage doesn’t matter to me that much. I have a HomePod Mini that I can use for Thread.

The more Thread devices throughout the home, the more reliable the network.
    To be fair, that's true of most dedicated home automation standards. For example, Thread isn't superior to Zigbee in that regard, which is why Philips Hue has managed to stay on top of the game for so long. The reason people have had such low opinions of home automation devices in general and tout the superiority of Thread so much is the huge number of cheap and unreliable WiFi connected devices out there, and the fact that the more WiFi devices you have on your network, the worse all of them work thanks to collision domain issues.
    Most? The only home automation mesh networks I'm aware of are Thread and Zigbee. What are the others?
    The other one is X10, the granddaddy of all home automation standards. It's still in use by some industrial systems and diehards.
    forgot username
  • Reply 50 of 52
    docno42 said:

The new model was silently updated to a USB C port(didn’t know at the time), I was assuming it was still lightning, and although it’s theoretically possible a new Apple TV owner won’t own a USB C cable, I agree completely, they’re not under the licensing restriction of Lightning., and can be bought cheaply.

This also significantly starts the trend that Lightning accesorios are all moving to USB C.
  • Reply 51 of 52
    Off topic but is there an App that will pool together a grid type guide for all the free tv apps on your system. Example: FreeVee, Fubo etc. 

I’ve been playing around with the Firestick and they have a Live TV app that brings together all your apps including ones like Philo into a traditional grid. I appreciate this feature and want something similar for my AppleTV