Apple stole #TakeNote from Utah Jazz basketball team

Posted:
in General Discussion edited October 2022
Apple's use of #TakeNote on Twitter to promote its new iPad lineup has taken NBA fans by surprise -- as it is the official hashtag of the Utah Jazz.

Apple's hash flag shown on the Utah Jazz Twitter profile
Apple's hash flag shown on the Utah Jazz Twitter profile

While hashtags aren't exactly the property of a company or entity, they can be used for advertising campaigns and tied to a for-pay hash flag. Apple tends to tie a hashtag and official hash flag to an event or announcement.

Hash flags are little animated icons that appear after a sponsored hashtag. Every NBA team uses sponsored hashtags to promote social media content, and the Utah Jazz promotes #TakeNote.

However, without any warning to the NBA team or its social media counterpart, Apple's CEO Tim Cook tweeted out a promotion for upcoming iPad announcements using #TakeNote. The hashtag trended under sports and basketball on Twitter for a while before the official Apple hash flag went live.

Happy to have everyone taking note #TakeNote https://t.co/Kc9qYT1fCx

-- Utah Jazz (@utahjazz)

An original tweet by Utah Jazz said, "Well, this is awkward." It has since been deleted.

To make matters more interesting, Tuesday, October 18, begins the NBA 2022 to 2023 basketball season. The official team hashtags do not have sponsored hash flags during offseason, but Apple has stolen an official hashtag the morning it would have been taken by the Utah Jazz.

The phrase "Take Note" isn't new to the team. It was briefly retired before being revived in 2019. It is still shown as the official hashtag at the top of the team's Twitter profile despite having an Apple hashflag.

It isn't clear what the Utah Jazz will do in response. The team seemingly discovered the hashtag takeover the moment it happened. Perhaps they can return to their less popular #TeamIsEverything in the meantime.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    JFC_PAJFC_PA Posts: 932member
    Utah has a basketball team?

on a related note? I’d totally pay to hear the  Tabernacle Choir do the blues. 
    edited October 2022 dewmebaconstanghammeroftruthwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 15
    ronnronn Posts: 658member
    "Stole" is a super stretch. Even your story says so. Apple should have vetted the hashtag before using it for the refresh. But if they're smart, Utah will use the publicity to its advantage.
    watto_cobraCluntBaby92docno42
  • Reply 3 of 15
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,728member
    Always felt that hashtags were one of the worst ways to organize information imaginable. Completely random. No surprise something like this happened.

hammeroftruthmSakwatto_cobraCluntBaby92docno42
  • Reply 4 of 15
    HrebHreb Posts: 83member
    replaced tweet: "Happy to have everyone taking note "
    hammeroftruthwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 15
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,245member
    Contradictory. If nobody owns them, then how can one be stolen?

Yes, Apple should have done some research in advance to avoid this, but it's not going to hurt anybody. If anything, it raises even more awareness.

When, I see "Jazz", I think music, not basketball. Now I'm enlightened. Thanks Apple!
    netroxaderutterdewmehammeroftruthmSakwatto_cobraCluntBaby92
  • Reply 6 of 15
    danoxdanox Posts: 2,875member
    Are geeks following sports?
    chadbagwhocaresshdhdbddewmegrandact73watto_cobraCluntBaby92docno42
  • Reply 7 of 15
    chadbagchadbag Posts: 2,000member
    Contradictory. If nobody owns them, then how can one be stolen?

Yes, Apple should have done some research in advance to avoid this, but it's not going to hurt anybody. If anything, it raises even more awareness.

When, I see "Jazz", I think music, not basketball. Now I'm enlightened. Thanks Apple!
    The Jazz have been in Utah since forever, but they were originally the New Orleans Jazz, and when they moved to Salt Lake City, let the name.  
    bigcountrywatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 15
    chadbagchadbag Posts: 2,000member
    JFC_PA said:
    Utah has a basketball team?

on a related note? I’d totally pay to hear the  Tabernacle Choir do the blues. 
    Originally an expansion team in New Orleans, they moved to Utah prior to the 1979-1980 season and have been in Utah since.  So a good while.  They even made it to the finals once, only to lose to Michael Jordan and the Bulls in a famous game that saw MJ perform sick and with fever at an above human level to clinch the win. 

I’m pretty sure the Tab choir has done some blues but I have to admit a cursory search just now didn’t turn up anything.  

Disclaimer: I’ve lived in Utah 22 years. Am not from here, and when I care about sports and basketball, which is not often, I claim allegiance to the green of Boston. 
    dewmeJFC_PAbigcountrykevinowenwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 15
    Lots of Jazz fans assumed it was some sort of way of announcing a streaming deal with Apple for the Utah Jazz games.
    watto_cobraAnilu_777
  • Reply 10 of 15
    Seriously, stole the hashtag?  What an over reaction to someone using #takenote.  I use hashtags in my posts all the time. Sometimes I click on them afterwards and discover they lead to something I would rather not be associated with other times I get people to click on my post because of that.  The Jazz should be in heaven that Time Cook gave them all that free publicity. What you’re saying is that no one on earth can use #takenote on their posts if it is relevant, just because a basketball team used it?  
    ronnwatto_cobraCluntBaby92docno42
  • Reply 11 of 15
    JFC_PAJFC_PA Posts: 932member
    Fwiw I like the team’s reaction: they had fun with it. 
    ronnwatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 15
    Two different 'notes'.
    One's musical, the other clerical.
    Two different words that happen to be spelled the same.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 15
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    Oh something awkward came from Twitter.
    oh yeah, big surprise.
    🥱

Isn’t that kinda what it is for?
    watto_cobraCluntBaby92
  • Reply 14 of 15
    I heard that Apple’s use of #TakeNote and the  hashflag is over Oct 21 and Utah Jazz can use it as they see fit 
  • Reply 15 of 15
    It's a good thing Tim didn't use a hash tag associated with something more objectionable than a basketball team.