UK considering antitrust regulations on Apple Card & other big tech financial programs

Posted:
in General Discussion
The UK's Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) says that it has concerns about Apple and other Big Tech firms disrupting the country's financial markets, and it is seeking feedback on what it should do about it.

Apple's delayed Apple Pay Later has already come under some scrutiny from the FCA, but now the regulator wants to "develop an effective competition approach" to prevent antitrust issues.

"In recent years, Big Tech's entry into financial services, in the UK and elsewhere, has demonstrated their potential to disrupt established markets, drive innovation and reduce costs for consumers," said Sheldon Mills, Executive Director of Consumers and Competition, in a statement. "Across the world, we've seen the capability of Big Tech to offer transformative new products in areas such as payments, deposits and consumer credit."

"We want to make sure that these benefits are fully realised while, at the same time, ensuring good consumer and market outcomes," continued Mills. "This is vital when we consider the role of Big Tech firms in the provision of key technological infrastructure like cloud services."

The FCA is not proposing specific regulations, but it does want responses from interested parties. There will be a webinar on the "Competition impacts of Big Tech in retail financial services," on November 28, 2022, and the FCA is accepting responses until January 15, 2023.

Currently, Apple Card is not available in the UK, but the company did acquire a Britain-based credit scoring firm. The full FCA report notes that the regulator is specifically concerned about Big Tech firms' "potential to grow and change market outcomes quickly."

"The discussion we are starting today will inform the FCA's pro-competitive approach to digital markets, and I encourage consumers, firms and fellow regulators to join the conversation," said Mills.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    The fact that she said big tech does "drive innovation and reduce costs for consumers" means she sees the good. That's good.
    beowulfschmidtwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 14
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,253member
    The UK needs to stop worrying about Apple and figure out how to stop losing money. This isn't caused by Apple but by issues within the UK. Stop investigating big tech, they're not the problem. Three PMs in 7 weeks is your bigger issue.

Airlines give out credit cards, every store gives out branded credit cards, gas station give them out so why pick on Apple?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 14
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,701member
    The fact that she said big tech does "drive innovation and reduce costs for consumers" means she sees the good. That's good.
    Yet, ironically, most of the innovation in fintech actually comes from startups that have no way to compete against the gatekeepers and so set themselves up to be acquired by them. That does not help in competition terms.

It is happening all over the place. Another area is health. 
    edited October 2022 rob53elijahg
  • Reply 4 of 14
    rob53 said:
    The UK needs to stop worrying about Apple and figure out how to stop losing money. This isn't caused by Apple but by issues within the UK. Stop investigating big tech, they're not the problem. Three PMs in 7 weeks is your bigger issue.

Airlines give out credit cards, every store gives out branded credit cards, gas station give them out so why pick on Apple?
    They aren't picking on and. AppleInsider's claim that the UK is considering antitrust regulation on Apple Card is a complete fabrication. Apple Card isn't available in the UK and doesn't fall under their jurisdiction. 

All they UK is doing is considering regulation of Big Tech companies entering the financial services market. This would ultimately include Apple if Apple decided to offer financial products in the U.K but it isn't exclusive to Apple. There is nothing wrong with what is happening, financial products should be regulated. 

Your issue here is with AppleInsider's sensationalist blogging. Yes, blogging. Calling it journalism would be wholly insulting to journalists everywhere. 
    crowleyelijahg
  • Reply 5 of 14
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,573member
    avon b7 said:
    Yet, ironically, most of the innovation in fintech actually comes from startups that have no way to compete against the gatekeepers and so set themselves up to be acquired by them. 
    I'm not sure if that's a "problem." No government should stop me from starting up a small company with the intention to sell out to a big company. It happens all the time; it's an element of freedom and free enterprise.
  • Reply 6 of 14
    avon b7 said:

Yet, ironically, most of the innovation in fintech actually comes from startups that have no way to compete against the gatekeepers and so set themselves up to be acquired by them. That does not help in competition terms.

Sometimes, but more often startups are a business model. Create a valuable niche product then shop for a buyer. Grab a ton of cash and repeat. Little guys who persist often become bigger guys, but many will take the cash and run. 
  • Reply 7 of 14
    rob53 said:

They aren't picking on and. AppleInsider's claim that the UK is considering antitrust regulation on Apple Card is a complete fabrication. Apple Card isn't available in the UK and doesn't fall under their jurisdiction. 

All they UK is doing is considering regulation of Big Tech companies entering the financial services market. This would ultimately include Apple if Apple decided to offer financial products in the U.K but it isn't exclusive to Apple. There is nothing wrong with what is happening, financial products should be regulated. 

Your issue here is with AppleInsider's sensationalist blogging. Yes, blogging. Calling it journalism would be wholly insulting to journalists everywhere. 
    Seriously!? Did you read the article or just the headline? Your issue is sensationalist trolling. 
  • Reply 8 of 14
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,701member
    avon b7 said:
    Yet, ironically, most of the innovation in fintech actually comes from startups that have no way to compete against the gatekeepers and so set themselves up to be acquired by them. 
    I'm not sure if that's a "problem." No government should stop me from starting up a small company with the intention to sell out to a big company. It happens all the time; it's an element of freedom and free enterprise.
    Let me give you a prime example. EDA software, which has three major players to divide the market up between them.

Over the last decade those companies haven't really had any competition and they haven't really innovated either. They have simply splashed their cash on startups in order to feed functionality into whichever company buys them, and with that purchase it's another turn of the wheel.

It is precisely the type of business model that blunts open competition. In reality those three are prime candidates for anti-trust/competition investigation. They are, in effect, the gatekeepers to EDA software. 
  • Reply 9 of 14
    danoxdanox Posts: 2,872member
    Dream on, if they the British were doing their job they never would have let Arm Holdings be sold to any foreign nationals, hopefully the Dutch won’t be as stupid and let ASML Holdings or Philips go foreign.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 14
    rob53 said:

Seriously!? Did you read the article or just the headline? Your issue is sensationalist trolling. 
    I did read both the article the and the report by the FCA. The headline is objectively false and just clickbait. I going to be really generous here and say the article does a poor job of framing the report. If you take issue with me for this site's lack of journalist integrity then that's fine. I humbly suggest you reconsider your bar for journalism. 
    edited October 2022 elijahg
  • Reply 11 of 14
    chadbagchadbag Posts: 2,000member
    When they look at the vIsa/MC duopoly and do something to inject competition into the credit card market I’ll give them my ear.  
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 14
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    rob53 said:

The FCA has no control over who the PM is, or how the government conducts monetary policy.

No one is picking on Apple, read the story, not just the headline.
    muthuk_vanalingamelijahg
  • Reply 13 of 14
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,523member
    The FCA is a fantastic institution that really does work for the good of the customer, the regulations are there for the benefit of us, not for the companies and are all sensible. I work in Financial Services (Insurance) and can see the benefit of the FCA regulations that we and our competitors must adhere to. 

Regulators get a bad rap, especially it seems in the US, but it's good to see that they are acting in a forward thinking manner here. 
    elijahg
  • Reply 14 of 14
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,523member
    chadbag said:
    When they look at the vIsa/MC duopoly and do something to inject competition into the credit card market I’ll give them my ear.  
    That wouldn't be the FCA's purview, you'd need the PSR for that. On the bright side, following Brexit, the PSR is now actively looking into ways of opening up the market and bringing in more competition.
    elijahgchadbag