Apple releases iOS 15.7.1 for users who can't, or won't update to iOS 16

Posted:
in iOS edited October 2022
Apple has provided iOS 15.7.1 and iPadOS 15.7.1 with security updates and patches for devices that can't update to iOS 16, or for those who don't want to.

iOS 15.7.1 is available for older iPhones
iOS 15.7.1 is available for older iPhones

The new update for users still on iOS 15 and iPadOS 15 addresses similar bugs and security patches available in the recent iOS 16.1 and macOS Ventura releases. The security patch notes list 17 different systems affected by security issues that have been patched.

Anyone capable of updating to iOS 15.7.1 or iPadOS 15.7.1 should do so as soon as is reasonable. The update addresses known security issues that could put the user at risk.

The following systems were addressed via this update: Apple Neural Engine, Audio, Backup, FaceTime, Graphics Driver, Image Processing, Kernel, Model I/O, ppp, Safari, WebKit, WiFi, and zlib.

Apple listed the following devices that the update is designated for: iPhone 6s and later, iPad Pro (all models), iPad Air 2 and later, iPad 5th generation and later, iPad mini 4 and later, and iPod touch (7th generation).

Learn about the patches and view the CVE numbers via Apple's support page for the update.

Support for the iPhone 6s, iPhone 7, and iPod touch was dropped in iOS 16. The Pad Air 2 and iPad mini 4 don't support iPadOS 16.

Those with automatic updates enabled won't have to do anything -- the update will likely install overnight. Those who would like to install the update manually can do so via the Settings app. Just select "General" then "Software Update."

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    I'm still looking for a good reason to update from iOS 14.
    Maybe 17?
  • Reply 2 of 5
    Maybe 17?
    I’m interested in knowing why you don’t update. As an iOS developer I enjoy the new features of Swift (language used to code apps) and particularly the new UI system introduced in 2019: SwiftUI. Many new features are introduced with each new release that make both my life easier as a developer but also your experience better with less bugs. So I wonder why you would not upgrade to enable the developer using the latest APIs ? Because of people like you we have to write a lot of @available(ios16, *) code and many “if ios15 then… else if iOS 14…” which is a huge source of bugs. Personally it does not affect me that much as I’m developing for in house apps where we force our employees to update the phone they were given. That way we use the latest technology and we ensure the best security as well (the older the iOS version, the easiest it is to exploit vulnerabilities).
    To improve your experience I would highly recommend updating your phone to the latest iOS version. 
    I can understand why you don’t want to upgrade your PC to Windows 11, but here on macOS or iOS, the upgrades are free and relevant: just go for it!
    appleinsideruserwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 5
    baconstangbaconstang Posts: 1,108member
    iOSDevSWE said:
    Maybe 17?
    I’m interested in knowing why you don’t update. As an iOS developer I enjoy the new features of Swift (language used to code apps) and particularly the new UI system introduced in 2019: SwiftUI. Many new features are introduced with each new release that make both my life easier as a developer but also your experience better with less bugs. So I wonder why you would not upgrade to enable the developer using the latest APIs ? Because of people like you we have to write a lot of @available(ios16, *) code and many “if ios15 then… else if iOS 14…” which is a huge source of bugs. Personally it does not affect me that much as I’m developing for in house apps where we force our employees to update the phone they were given. That way we use the latest technology and we ensure the best security as well (the older the iOS version, the easiest it is to exploit vulnerabilities).
    To improve your experience I would highly recommend updating your phone to the latest iOS version. 
    I can understand why you don’t want to upgrade your PC to Windows 11, but here on macOS or iOS, the upgrades are free and relevant: just go for it!
    I'm pretty happy with 14.  From what I could ascertain, there are no new features in 15 that I have any interest in.
    For me it would be a few hours wasted trying to get my phone to behave in a manner I was accustomed to.
    More emojis?  There's so many I quit using them.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    I have been trying for two hours to discover why my iPhone and iPad would not update to iOS 16 from iOS 15.7.1. Spent a lot of time reading, found a lot of possible solutions but none worked. I was about to completely reset to factory when I tried one last thing - THAT WORKED for both iPhone and iPad. This resolution I found nowhere described. So. is anyone has been having the same problem, try this : Go to Setting - General - VPN and Phone Settings. See if there is an entry for "BETA version/Profile", I had one for iOS ver. 15.7.1. I deleted that profile and was able to immediately update to iOS 16.1. So my presumption is that that profile blocked any further updates...... Problem SOLVED...
    watto_cobramuthuk_vanalingam