YouTube to stream Paramount+, Showtime, but no Apple TV+ or Netflix

Posted:
in General Discussion
YouTube has announced a plan to offer subscriptions to over 30 rival streaming services on its platform, but not the highest profile ones such asApple TV+.

YouTube Primetime Channels
YouTube Primetime Channels

The streaming store Primetime Channels lets any YouTube user subscribe to Showtime, Paramount+, and more without having to leave YouTube.

Primetime Channels will have shows, movies, trailers, behind-the-scenes footage, and cast interviews. YouTube search and recommendations will surface content from streaming services, available at launch for people in the US.

YouTube says it will add more services to buy, including NBA League Pass. It also plans to introduce new features and expand the service internationally.

"We are excited to expand our partnership with YouTube to offer customers of Paramount+ another way to stream the content they love," said Jeff Shultz, Chief Strategy Officer and Business Development Officer, Paramount Streaming. "This new feature gives us the opportunity to expand our presence on YouTube, broadening our reach and giving consumers even more choice when it comes to streaming the best in entertainment."

In principle, the new service is similar to Apple TV Channels, a way for people to subscribe to streaming services and watch video content inside the Apple TV app. Platforms there include Paramount+, Showtime, Starz, and others.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,573member
    Although we don't know if Apple wants to sell Apple TV+ via Youtube, it is Google's right not to allow Apple TV+ on Youtube, just as it is Apple's right not to allow Epic, Spotify or any other developer on the Apple App Store. They don't even need a reason to justify the blocking of a specific developer. 
    watto_cobragrandact73
  • Reply 3 of 8
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,253member
    Although we don't know if Apple wants to sell Apple TV+ via Youtube, it is Google's right not to allow Apple TV+ on Youtube, just as it is Apple's right not to allow Epic, Spotify or any other developer on the Apple App Store. They don't even need a reason to justify the blocking of a specific developer. 
    fofer said:
    @22july2013 You need to actually do some research into your comment like @fofer did. Spotify doesn't want to pay Apple's justified 30% commission (see other AI articles). It's the same with Epic. I did a quick search of the iOS App Store and Epic isn't listed but its games might be listed. Epic feels they shouldn't have to pay Apple's commission either while using their services to host and deliver apps. 

As for youtube hosting Apple TV+, why in the world would I even want to watch Apple TV+ through youtube's website. I watch youtube through Apple TV and watch Apple TV+ using Apple's "TV" app on my Mac. 
    lolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 8
    It's a strange concept. If I already subscribed to Paramount+ and why would I want to watch it from within YouTube? It makes sense for Apple TV, Chromecast, Fire TV and Roku because they are hardware devices. YouTube is just a software.
    lolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 8
    It's a strange concept. If I already subscribed to Paramount+ and why would I want to watch it from within YouTube? It makes sense for Apple TV, Chromecast, Fire TV and Roku because they are hardware devices. YouTube is just a software.
    Presumably one benefit would be linking your other streaming accounts into your YouTube account (No thanks lol) which would allow you to access those other services' content through the Youtube website and apps. I suppose the benefit there would be maintaining all, or most, of your services in one app on each AppleTV/portable Apple device instead of managing multiple apps.That would make sense in my case as these services will log your apps out if they're not used in a certain time span (30, 60, 90 days etc). I run into that when I am overseas for work half the year, the AppleTV in the home theater (that the wife doesn't use much by herself when I'm gone) will log out of almost everything necessitating a bunch of password re-jiggering when I get home (Guest Bedroom AppleTV 4 too). Still not worth giving Google access to these accounts in my mind, but to each his own haha.
    ravnorodomwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 8
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,573member
    rob53 said:
    fofer said:
    @22july2013 You need to actually do some research into your comment like @fofer did. Spotify doesn't want to pay Apple's justified 30% commission (see other AI articles). It's the same with Epic. I did a quick search of the iOS App Store and Epic isn't listed but its games might be listed. Epic feels they shouldn't have to pay Apple's commission either while using their services to host and deliver apps. 

As for youtube hosting Apple TV+, why in the world would I even want to watch Apple TV+ through youtube's website. I watch youtube through Apple TV and watch Apple TV+ using Apple's "TV" app on my Mac. 
    Oh I see... you both missed my point. I wasn't saying Spotify wasn't on the App Store, I was merely saying that Apple doesn't have to let anyone on their app store, and I picked two companies at random that complain about Apple. I could have replaced Epic and Spotify with Mobil and NASA, because the company name is irrelevant to my point.
    gatorguy
  • Reply 7 of 8
    Apple needs to SERIOUSLY up its game on its channels lineup. Apple TV+ isn’t the only part of the TV App that makes for a post-cable cord cut! I love using channels on the TV app alongside TV+, but Apple isn’t trying to make them a part of the greater TV package and it’s a shame.  Amazon and YouTube have much better lineups than Apple, but Apple’s is the best service from a user standpoint. Step it up Apple!!!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 8
    davgregdavgreg Posts: 1,037member
    As a YouTube TV customer, I see no need for Apple TV+ to be offered. I get it for free and do not use it, it just is not very good.

Paramount + actually has a large library of catalog and new shows, unlike Apple.
    ravnorodomgrandact73