Here are all the devices getting Matter support

Posted:
in General Discussion edited November 2022
Smart home device producers are starting to outline their plans for adding support for Matter, a standard that will allow communication with Homekit and other frameworks.

HomeKit supports Matter
HomeKit supports Matter

Matter is an important standard for home owners, with it able to help enable the communication of smart home devices across different competing frameworks. For example, a device made to work with Samsung SmartThings could still work with Apple's HomeKit if it supports Matter.

With support from companies increasing in short order, manufacturers are starting to detail how they will be rolling out updates to make their hardware work with the specification.

Aqara

On November 3, Aqara revealed it will be bringing Matter out in December 2022, with an over-the-air firmware for the Aqara Hub M2. Subsequently, existing Aqara devices with Zigbee that connect via the hub will then benefit from Matter.

Aqara's other hubs will also receive firmware update in the following months, including the Hub M1S Gen 1 and Gen 1, the Hub E1, the Camera Hub G2H Pro, and the Camera Hub G3.

In total, more than 40 Aqara Zigbee devices will support Matter once the software updates start to roll out. Ultimately, Aqara intends to extend that support to over 160 devices.

The list of soon-to-support Matter devices includes:
  • Door & Window Sensor
  • Temperature & Humidity Sensor
  • Motion Sensor and Motion Sensor P1
  • Vibration Sensor
  • Smart Wall Switch (US)
  • Smart Wall Switch H1 EU
  • Smart Plug (US & EU)
  • Single Switch Module T1
  • Wireless Mini Switch
  • Wireless Remote Switch H1
  • Wireless Remote Switch (Single & Double Rocker)
  • Radiator Thermostat E1
  • Roller Shade Driver E1
  • Curtain Driver E1
  • Roller Shade Controller (Zigbee 1.2)
  • LED Bulb and LED Bulb T1 (Tunable White)
Aqara is also going to launch a line of Thread-based devices, including refreshed designs of its door and window sensor and motion sensor to take advantage of Matter controllers. The Door and Windows Sensor P2 and Motion and Light Sensor P2 will launch in early 2023.

Brilliant

Brilliant announced on November 3 that it has joined the Connectivity Standards Alliance as a Participant Member. While this will involve contributing to the Matter Working Group, Brilliant is also bringing Matter support to its all-in-one smart home controllers and smart light systems in 2023.

The Brilliant wall panel will get Matter support
The Brilliant wall panel will get Matter support

The company doesn't say what specific devices will gain support, beyond the smart home controllers and light systems description.

Eve

Eve Systems also announced compatibility with Matter, for three Thread-enabled smart home devices.

Eve Motion 2
Eve Motion 2 will soon be updated with Matter support

The Eve Door & Window contact sensor, the Eve Motion sensor, and the Eve Energy smart plugs for the U.S. and Canada, Europe, U.K, and Australia have all completed Matter certification. From December 12, they can all be updated in the Eve app to add the support.

As for the rest of the range, EvE says it will be issuing more free firmware updates to its entire Thread-enabled range over time.

Matter-certified Eve products will arrive at retail in the first quarter of 2023.

Philips Hue

Famed smart light brand Philips Hue is also going to be joining the Matter ranks. Before press releases announcing the change, it was discovered support will be coming to the Hue Bridge.

Hue outdoor motion sensor
Hue outdoor motion sensor

The update, which appeared in the CSA Matter certification database on Thursday and spotted by The Verge says a software update will arrive on the Hue Bridge soon.

Since Philips Hue relies on a bridge for the majority of its products, the arrival of the firmware to the bridge will make "all existing and new Hue lights and accessories automatically Matter-related too." The exceptions are the Hue Sync Box and the dial of the Tap dial switch.

As for when it will roll out, parent company Signify has said it would update the bridge as close to the launch of the standard. Given the Matter launch event occurs on Thursday, the update should be happening soon.

Schneider Electric

A brand little-known to most HomeKit users, Schneider Electric will be adding Matter support to its Wiser gateway as well as its Wiser Smart Plug. The hub will be getting a firmware update that will allow more than 200 Wiser Zigbee accessories to work with Matter.

Schnieder Electric's Wiser Gateway
Schnieder Electric's Wiser Gateway

The Wiser Smart Plug, useful for Schnieder Electric's home energy management system (HEMS), will receive its own independent Matter certification without reliance on the Wiser Gateway.

Amazon

The massive online retailer plans extensive support for Matter across its portfolio and has revealed two steps for the rollout.

In the first year, Amazon will be focusing on Matter over Wi-Fi. 17 Echo devices will gain Matter support and Amazon will prioritize plugs, switches, and bulb in this first round. It will also only support setup over Android at the onset.

Next year, Amazon will release support for Matter of Thread and will support more Echo devices. Eero devices will also get Matter support next year. Finally, next year we'll see additional device types from Amazon and setup over iOS.

To go with its newfound Matter support Amazon is launching a new certification program for devices that work with Matter and want to highlight the Works with Alexa (WWA) badge on their box.

Samsung

Samsung's SmartThings app has already been Matter-certified, as has the South Korean company's SmartThings hub. That puts them on track with Apple in supporting Matter devices right this moment.

Samsung SmartThings Hub
Samsung SmartThings Hub

But Samsung's support doesn't end there. It has announced plans for its TVs and Family Hub refrigerators to act as display controllers, commanding the other Matter devices in your home.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,573member
    Since MATTER 1.0 doesn't support cameras, any cameras, I'm wondering how the Aqara G2H camera supports Matter and HomeKit Secure Video (HSV). My guess/speculation is that the device only works with an Internet connection and an app running on your iPhone which also requires an Internet connection and communicates with its home base in Shenzhen, which would bypass/compromise the security architecture of Apple's HSV. Can you investigate that?
    darkvader
  • Reply 2 of 16
    or it just records directly to iCloud like other cameras?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 16
    22july2013 said:
    Since MATTER 1.0 doesn't support cameras, any cameras, I'm wondering how the Aqara G2H camera supports Matter and HomeKit Secure Video (HSV).
    Or how about since the G2H is a 
    hub, it's the hub part of the device that supports matter?  And HomeKit and Matter aren't mutually exclusive, it can still support pre-existing HSV functionality and add matter...
    lolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 16
    Interesting, since updating to iOS 16.1 my Eve door sensor, motions and energy plugs were all knocked out and I have yet to get them back online within Home App.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 16
    Name a single camera that records to Apple's iCloud. All the cameras that I found record to proprietary clouds, mostly in China.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 16
    Philips hue supports everything in its current state correct? What’s the benefit of matter if the company refuses to use thread? Is it to cut down on the amount of labels on the box to remove works with this works with that to only works with matter?That’s the only benefit I see. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 16
    lezmaka said:
    22july2013 said:
    Since MATTER 1.0 doesn't support cameras, any cameras, I'm wondering how the Aqara G2H camera supports Matter and HomeKit Secure Video (HSV).
    Or how about since the G2H is a 
    hub, it's the hub part of the device that supports matter?  And HomeKit and Matter aren't mutually exclusive, it can still support pre-existing HSV functionality and add matter...
    That's exactly why I asked AppleInsider to investigate how it works, because it probably works using additional software running on the hub and/or on your iOS device that requires an Internet connection and communicates some data back to home base, which is usually China. Or are you trying to make the claim that it doesn't use additional software that communicates back to China? Can you clarify what you are saying?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 16
    Name a single camera that records to Apple's iCloud. All the cameras that I found record to proprietary clouds, mostly in China.
    Every HomeKit Secure Video camera records to iCloud.  I personally have 2 x models of Eufy cameras that support HSV.  I did not user their app & do not need to.  They are configured for HomeKit Secure Video only.  I also know they do not record anywhere except to HomeKit - they are blocked/monitored at my firewall (same for all my other cameras).  HSV records through the "active" HomeKit hub (HomePod original, Apple TV, iPad, etc.).  The HomeKit hub manages encrypting the video & sending it up to iCloud.
    edited November 2022 williamlondonlolliverbloggerblogwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 16
    Andrew_OSUAndrew_OSU Posts: 573member, editor
    Since MATTER 1.0 doesn't support cameras, any cameras, I'm wondering how the Aqara G2H camera supports Matter and HomeKit Secure Video (HSV). My guess/speculation is that the device only works with an Internet connection and an app running on your iPhone which also requires an Internet connection and communicates with its home base in Shenzhen, which would bypass/compromise the security architecture of Apple's HSV. Can you investigate that?
    These act as hubs. So they are Zigbee hubs for various Aqara accessories. Even though the camera won't surface in Matter, all the connected accessories like contact sensors, motion sensors, etc will.
    williamlondonlolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 16
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,372member
    HomeKit clients are layered on top of Matter. As such, Apple can still support its own HomeKit comm stack side-by-side with Matter to work with devices that support HomeKit or both HomeKit and Matter. HomeKit clients can talk to both Matter compatible devices using any of the services that Matter provides while still talking to HomeKit devices just like they always have.

Apple probably isn’t going to give away HSV as-is to the Matter foundation. Apply could use its influence on the Matter foundation to try to make sure that whatever Matter supports for the camera device type is compatible with HSV.  For example, if or when Matter provides an end-to-end encrypted communication connection/channel mechanism, Apple could then use the Matter secure communication mechanism as a black channel for HSV, I.e., tunneling, between HSV clients and HSV camera devices. But we’ll never know until you see it show up in the Matter specs. 

The same deal applies to other clients and device vendors. They can still support their own vendor specific capabilities side-by-side while still supporting the services required for their devices to be Matter compliant. This should not be a problem at all.

The foundation's site has a list of currently supported devices.  https://csa-iot.org/csa-iot_products/page/3/?p_keywords&p_type%5B0%5D=17&p_type%5B1%5D=14&p_type%5B2%5D=1053&p_program_type%5B0%5D=1049&p_certificate&p_family
    Make sure you filter on Matter to only see the Matter devices.
    edited November 2022 williamlondonlolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 16

Cameras that record to iCloud:
    • Eve indoor Camera
    • Logitech Circle View
    • Aqara G2H
    • Aqara G3
    • EufyCam 2
    • EufyCam 2C
    • Logitech Circle 2
    • Netatmo Smart Indoor Camera
    • Onvis Smart Camera

welshdoglolliverbloggerblogwatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 16

• Eve indoor Camera
    • Logitech Circle View
    • Aqara G2H
    • Aqara G3
    • EufyCam 2
    • EufyCam 2C
    • Logitech Circle 2
    • Onvis Smart Camera

You are interpreting the original poster's phrase "record directly to iCloud" as "using HomeKit Secure Video." Those terms are not equivalent. A camera could do the former without doing the latter. but I can see why you might confuse the two as being the same thing. If I played any role in your confusion, I apologize.

And even then, some of these cameras which use HSV aren't secure. For example, "Only select outdoor eufyCam models support HomeKit Secure Video, specifically those than run through the HomeBase2 base station." So in other words, they are NOT directly using HSV. They are running their videos first through a base station which won't even function unless it has internet connectivity. And Eufy encourages users to use their cloud service, which gives Eufy access to the video from your cameras.

Perhaps it would help you if you watched an educational video about webcam insecurity like this one:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92I5JwlluK4
    dewmewatto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 16
    nicholfd said:
    Every HomeKit Secure Video camera records to iCloud.  I personally have 2 x models of Eufy cameras that support HSV.  I did not user their app & do not need to.  They are configured for HomeKit Secure Video only.  I also know they do not record anywhere except to HomeKit - they are blocked/monitored at my firewall (same for all my other cameras).  HSV records through the "active" HomeKit hub (HomePod original, Apple TV, iPad, etc.).  The HomeKit hub manages encrypting the video & sending it up to iCloud.
    HomeKit Secure Video does NOT take up any of your iCloud storage. Apple treats it differently. You probably know that.

And when you say you are using a "HomeKit hub", I presume you are referring to the "Eufy HomeBase2 base station", right? If you watch the video in the link in my previous post, you may learn how that base station bypasses HomeKit Secure Video security features, and how the hub directly communicates with servers back in China.

You said your cameras are "blocked at your firewall", which isn't the whole solution, because you also have to block all traffic from your HomeBase2 (which processes your video) to the internet. if you watch the video in the link above, you'll see why that can't be done.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 16
    nicholfd said:
    HomeKit Secure Video does NOT take up any of your iCloud storage. Apple treats it differently. You probably know that.

And when you say you are using a "HomeKit hub", I presume you are referring to the "Eufy HomeBase2 base station", right? If you watch the video in the link in my previous post, you may learn how that base station bypasses HomeKit Secure Video security features, and how the hub directly communicates with servers back in China.

You said your cameras are "blocked at your firewall", which isn't the whole solution, because you also have to block all traffic from your HomeBase2 (which processes your video) to the internet. if you watch the video in the link above, you'll see why that can't be done.
    iCloud storage and counting against your limit was not part of the discussion, until you mentioned it now.  I am aware it does not count toward the storage limit.

You presume incorrectly.  I'm referring to the Apple device that is acting as the current "controlling" HomeKit hub in the house.  We have multiple HomePods & Apple TVs.  Many are listed as hubs (may not be the correct term) in the Home app.  Only one is the current, controlling HomeKit hub.  THAT device manages the video from the camera, encrypting it, and uploading it to iCloud.

And regarding the cameras I do have, that requires the HomeBase2, it is the HomeBase2 that is blocked/monitored at the firewall.  The HomeBase2 does not upload any video from my cameras to the internet.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 16

• Eve indoor Camera
    • Logitech Circle View
    • Aqara G2H
    • Aqara G3
    • EufyCam 2
    • EufyCam 2C
    • Logitech Circle 2
    • Onvis Smart Camera

You are interpreting the original poster's phrase "record directly to iCloud" as "using HomeKit Secure Video." Those terms are not equivalent. A camera could do the former without doing the latter. but I can see why you might confuse the two as being the same thing. If I played any role in your confusion, I apologize.

And even then, some of these cameras which use HSV aren't secure. For example, "Only select outdoor eufyCam models support HomeKit Secure Video, specifically those than run through the HomeBase2 base station." So in other words, they are NOT directly using HSV. They are running their videos first through a base station which won't even function unless it has internet connectivity. And Eufy encourages users to use their cloud service, which gives Eufy access to the video from your cameras.

Perhaps it would help you if you watched an educational video about webcam insecurity like this one:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92I5JwlluK4
    Recording *into* iCloud isn't a thing... But as HSV is part of iCloud and to use HSV you need iCloud and the necessary storage amount. Yes, it doesn't count toward your storage space but you get a different number of supported cameras based on your storage plan.

There typically aren't wireless HomeKit cameras without a hub because of HomeKit's requirements. They are very taxing and will eat a battery insanely quickly, therefore it is the hub that gets certified for HomeKit or HSV. The hub is able to stay connected and responsive to all HomeKit requests while the camera is able to stay idle until motion is detected. True, Eufy wants you to use its own platform but you can use HomeKit Secure Video if you choose which is just as secure whether you're using a hub or not. And you still need internet access for HSV as it is uploaded to iCloud and not stored locally, even if the AI is processed locally to determine motion and subject.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 16
    I have a Logitech Circle View camera that works with HomeKit and does not upload to Logitech’s cloud but connects to HomeKit which uses iCloud for storage.
    "Video streamed from your Circle View Camera and iCloud is end-to-end encrypted to your devices, so only you and the people you share your Home app with can view it." - Logitech
    edited November 2022 watto_cobra