Anyone else watch The Daily Show?

rokrok
Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I started watching it back in '98, about when Jon Stewart became the host, and have been watching ever since. I love the show, and stay up every night to watch it.

Anyway, just thought I would ask.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 21
    Oh it's the only thing I watch on TV lately. I love it. Salon.com recently featured an article on it, calling the Daily Show "TV's Boldest News Show." Comedy Central makes clips available online for The Daily Show as well.

And yeah, Stephan Colbert is brilliant. Watch the Cheney clip.
  • Reply 2 of 21
    thuh freakthuh freak Posts: 2,664member
    i love the daily show and watch it more regularly than i watch the simpsons (and, to give this some perspective: i have 90+% of the simpsons on my "computer"). though the past few nights I've missed it (damn you, sleep, damn you!). i started watching it when ol' kilborn was the host. i was very nervous about stewart cuz i didn think he'd match up, but he's done quite well with the show. i think my favorite bit from the show is when the steves first did that ste(v/ph)en act. comedy genius.
  • Reply 3 of 21
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Yeah, that's a very, very funny show. Stewart's expressions are often funnier than words and words from other hosts on shows like this. And he's a good interviewer too. Here's what I'd like: for the show to go to one full hour so there's more than 4 minutes to spend with the guests.

And those little sketches/fake reports could be fleshed out too.

I've always said that CBS should fire Letterman, NBC should can Leno and that the network latenight lineup at 11:30 should be:

NBC: Conan

CBS: Kilborn

ABC: Stewart

TRULY three funny guys on at a decent hour. Talk about flipping back and forth with the remote! Right now, it's between Letterman and Leno and they both suck so hard. You have to wait until 12:30 for anyone truly funny, and that's too late.
  • Reply 4 of 21
    You know, Paul, I totally agree with you that Kilborn, Conan, and Stewart kick major ass. But I think they would become just as lame as Leno and Letterman if they took the helm at one of the major mainstream talk-shows. Conan and Kilborn are allowed a great deal more flexibility. You know, Jay Leno was once pretty extreme. He totally had to tone it down for the Tonight Show though. It's sad, but I think that's the way it would happen if Kilborn, Conan, and Stewart were in the same position.
  • Reply 5 of 21
    That might be true. I guess 11:30 still may be viewed as the "safe" slot and you can't get TOO "out there" until later (after midnight or 1am)?

Not that you have to be crude or "over the top" to be funny. I don't think Kilborn and Conan are "dirtier" or do more crass material than Leno or Letterman. If anything, they're just sillier and more fresh. They do skew a bit younger, but I think people might come their way eventually, especially if it's legitimately funny (which it often is with those guys). I think people would watch and probably actually laugh more.

Lately I've been keeping a little mental tally of how much time Letterman wastes on his show everynight bantering with Paul Schaffer, stopping to ask a crew member how they're "doing on time", setting up some stupid story that happened to him (takes FOREVER to get to it), commenting between each Top Ten List entry (never funny, of course).

If he'd simply shut up, he could squeeze in a whole other guest. OR, actually spend a bit more time with the 2-3 he currently books. I'll never understand how Letterman still has a job. HE IS NOT FUNNY OR ENTERTAINING IN ANY WAY, SHAPE OR FORM. HIS STUFF IS T-I-R-E-D.

That idiotic audience of his probably has to be prodded with hot pokers to make it seem like they're responding to his lame crap. Talk about forced laughter and applause!

"So anyway, Paul...I was having some delicious ham..."

"Ahhhhhhhh! Really?"

[laughter and applause]

"...and it occurred to me that..."

[organ/drum hit]

"Really? Haaaaaaaaaa!"

[audience laughter]

Sly look over to Paul, straightens his tie, asks the producer "how we doin' on time?"

• Reply 6 of 21
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    well, there was a day and time when letterman was the funniest late night guy out there. it seemed to all change when he went from nbc to cbs and got paid lots of bags of money. or maybe my tastes have changed over the past 10 years?

i have thought of jon stewart and the daily show going to the networks, but in the end, i think it would be a bad thing. i mean, they could have NEVER gotten away with some of their war, terror and government satire on a national network like abc.

i hate to compare shows, and i was never an avid watcher of the show, but bill maher's "politically incorrect" might be a good comparison. in retrospect, he said "abc didn't realize what they were buying when they bought politically incorrect." he said he worked with some great folks there, but he would get lambasted constantly for stuff that he could say on comedy central without problem.

like i said, i'm not trying to compare PI with TDS, but i have to think that if push comes to shove, the big networks will always choose "safe and profitable" over "risky" any day, and that would undercut a lot of the brilliant writing and commentary on The Daily Show these days.

I'm also not sure about the Daily Show going to an hour. Yeah, i am always sad to see "moment of zen" time (which is the end of the show), but if an hour means they unnecessarily pad some segment to fill time, well, i think you get another leno or letterman style show.
  • Reply 7 of 21
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    Jon Stewart is hilarious... comes up with some great lines.

"The bunker buster bomb left a 60 foot crater where the restaurant stood. Or, as Coalition Forces like to call it, a Freedom Hole."

• Reply 8 of 21
    Quote:

Originally posted by murbot

Jon Stewart is hilarious... comes up with some great lines.

"The bunker buster bomb left a 60 foot crater where the restaurant stood. Or, as Coalition Forces like to call it, a Freedom Hole."

I'd love to watch that clip if it's available online.
  • Reply 9 of 21
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    The Daily show is the BEST! I watch it religiously every night.

Anyone catch last nights South Park ? Best SP ever.
  • Reply 10 of 21
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    Near the top here.
  • Reply 11 of 21
    Quote:

Originally posted by rok

well, there was a day and time when letterman was the funniest late night guy out there. it seemed to all change when he went from nbc to cbs and got paid lots of bags of money. or maybe my tastes have changed over the past 10 years?

I think that's entirely possible. I'm sure it is with me, to some degree. When I was in my teens, I never missed Letterman (in the summers when not in school) as well as in my late teens and early 20's. I used to like it.

But you know what else just occurred to me? I think Letterman - for me anyway - might be a communal thing. I used to watch it friends as a teen and we would all cackle. I saw it with a buddy about four months ago and found myself laughing more than I EVER have watching it by myself.

Okay, I had 2 or 3 beers in me, but would that have been enough?

I think it's a combination of my changing tastes AND Letterman's coasting and overall weak, same-thing-every-night "style". That's probably it...a little of both.
  • Reply 12 of 21
    danmacmandanmacman Posts: 773member
    I recently saw Lewis Black doing his live standup at my school, and I must say I was not impressed. He used the stage as a platform to push his liberal/anti-Christian agenda on the audience, he looked extrememly bored and, well...he just wasn't that funny. I don't care at all for John Stewart either, so no, I do not watch the Daily Show - ever.
  • Reply 13 of 21
    mrmistermrmister Posts: 1,095member
    I do agree that Letterman has aged, but I think it is more graceful than that. OTOH, I've aged too--so perhaps I'm too kind. I can't tell.
  • Reply 14 of 21
    whisperwhisper Posts: 735member
    Quote:

Originally posted by DanMacMan

I recently saw Lewis Black doing his live standup at my school, and I must say I was not impressed. He used the stage as a platform to push his liberal/anti-Christian agenda on the audience, he looked extrememly bored and, well...he just wasn't that funny. I don't care at all for John Stewart either, so no, I do not watch the Daily Show - ever.

Lewis Black is kinda iffy in my book. I saw part of his standup once, and some of it was hilarious, but the rest was borderline offensive. Most of his stuff on the Daily Show is "merely" amusing, but there have been a few times when I nearly fell out of my seat laughing. IMHO, Jon Stewart is good, though not always great, at what he does. All in all, I love the show, but I usually forget to watch it (as is the case lately with all the shows I like).
  • Reply 15 of 21
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    John Stewart is funnier off the cuff. His humor on The Daily Show is as much from his rapport with the audience and his guests as anything he's reading off a teleprompter. He's just witty in a casual, impromptu way. Frank Black has some funny stuff, but he's playing the "angry guy" too much.
  • Reply 16 of 21
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    definatly an awesome show i watch it everynight

i normally stay up to watch part of touch crowd afterwards...that show is good too...the things they say though, haha i love it!
  • Reply 17 of 21
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    I think The Daily Show hit its sweet spot a year or two ago, when it was total dynamite. Ever since Bush was elected, though the show has gone downhill because Stewart has become very political, very self righteous, and very full of himself despite the fact that he's a comedian by trade and not a political analyst.

Lately the show has been miserably repetitive and almost unwatchable at times.
  • Reply 18 of 21
    whisperwhisper Posts: 735member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Splinemodel

I think The Daily Show hit its sweet spot a year or two ago, when it was total dynamite. Ever since Bush was elected, though the show has gone downhill because Stewart has become very political, very self righteous, and very full of himself despite the fact that he's a comedian by trade and not a political analyst.

Lately the show has been miserably repetitive and almost unwatchable at times.

Last night it was pretty good though .
  • Reply 19 of 21
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    I agree, the Dennis Miller interview was funny. That guy couldn't stop talking.
  • Reply 20 of 21
    Excellent article in The Nation today: Daily Show Does Bush.

Excerpt:

Quote:

Unlike other late-night comedy shows, which safely go for cheap laughs by dissing Saddam, The Daily Show has recaptured the pre-9/11 sensibilities that prevailed about Team Bush before the attacks encased him in Teflon. The studio audience howls and applauds in delight at Stewart's irreverence. Its core audience (73 percent) is the coveted 18-to-49 demographic. And here's some cheering news: More people (4 million) tune in to The Daily Show in a given week than watched Fox news at the height of the war (3.3 million).