Ampere Apple Watch Charging Cable review: A better fast charger

Posted:
in Apple Watch
Accessory maker Ampere is out with a new magnetic charging puck for your Apple Watch that is both durable and fast, making it a great companion for travel.

Ampere Apple Watch charger
Ampere Apple Watch charger

Fast charging is supported on the Apple Watch Series 7, as well as the new Apple Watch Series 8 and Apple Watch Ultra. While fast charging is a big draw for newer Apple Watch models, this style of charger can still power up any Apple Watch you own though, all the back to the original Series 0 -- as it's now referred.

High quality materials

Everything about the Ampere Apple Watch charging puck feels purposeful. It's a simple device, but the company has tried to make the most of its limited features.

For example, the cable isn't just a wire, as it is braided to provide additional durability and prevents tangles. Ampere uses this opportunity to make the braid from recycled ocean plastics.

The casing of the charger could be plastic, but Ampere opted for anodized aluminum. Aluminum cools faster to maintain the highest charging speeds, and it also provides a better feel.

Charging Apple Watch
Charging Apple Watch

If we had to posit one way Ampere could make this charger better, we woud've loved to see a silicone foot on the bottom. Native Union put a silicone grip on the bottom of its charger, and it made a big difference.

As soon as we'd take our watch off the charger, it would slide around. That silicone would add some much-needed grip and prevent it from moving on us.

The cable is two meters long, enough to reach behind your desk or nightstand. It uses a USB-C connector, so it supports all your current Apple products.

Rapid, reliable charging

Ampere is one of the rare companies that has released an MFi-certified Apple Watch charging puck and has secured the fast charging module.

Several accessory companies have told AppleInsider that Apple's fast charging module has been near-impossible to source for large-scale manufacturing, leaving many products to use the older, slower module instead.

Apple Watch Series 7 charging
Apple Watch Series 7 charging

Fast charging is a newer feature, arriving with Apple Watch Series 7. It will deliver an 80 percent charge in only 40 minutes.

We've transitioned most of our chargers to fast-charging ones, so back peddling to slower ones is difficult. We sleep track with our Apple Watch, so a fast charger is essential to ensure it's topped off throughout the day and the night.

Should you buy the Ampere Apple Watch Charging Cable?

Apple's first-party charger is nice. Besides the fact it doesn't cost you anything extra to buy, it's well-made and uses USB-C too.

Ampere box
Ampere box

But many folks like having a second charger around or are looking for one with a longer cable than the one that came in the box. Ampere's is a wonderful alternative to Apple's charging cable.

It supports fast charging, is as eco-friendly as a cable can be, is durable, has a two-year warranty, and is made of premium materials. For us, it checks all the boxes.

Ampere Apple Watch Charging Cable Pros

• Eco-friendly with ocean plastics for braid & plastic-free packaging

• Fast charge support on Apple Watch Series 7

• Long two-meter length

• Premium anodized aluminum body

• USB-C connector

• Apple-certified

Ampere Apple Watch Charging Cable Cons

• Could use a non-slip bottom

Rating: 4 out of 5

Where to buy

The 2m Ampere Apple Watch Charging Cable sells for $39 directly from Ampere.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    Andrew_OSUAndrew_OSU Posts: 573member, editor
    JP234 said:
    When I go to bed at night, I set the watch (v.7) on the included USB-C charging puck. Whadda ya know? By the time I wake up, it's 100% charged.
    What's the need to spend $39 extra to accomplish the same thing? Did you break your OEM cable?
    This cable charges just as fast as the OEM cable. So compared to that, it isn't about speed. BUT most third-party charging cables are not fast charging capable, or even USB-C. This isn't here to replace your currently-working cable, it is for someone who needs an additional cable or, like you said, damaged their original cable. 
    twokatmewJP234JaiOh81StrangeDaysappleinsiderusermacguiwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 14
    Website shows $49. 
    JP23480s_Apple_Guywatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 14
    mfrydmfryd Posts: 216member
    Apple's USB-C charging cable is only $29.   If you want a fast charging cable, and want to save money, but the Apple cable.

The Ampere cable is longer (Apple's in only 1 meter long), and the Ampere has a different look.  If you need either of those, it may make sense to spend more for the Ampere cable.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 14
    JP234 said:
    When I go to bed at night, I set the watch (v.7) on the included USB-C charging puck. Whadda ya know? By the time I wake up, it's 100% charged.
    What's the need to spend $39 extra to accomplish the same thing? Did you break your OEM cable?
    Imagine not understanding the concept of multiple chargers for different situations.
    napoleon_phoneapartJaiOh81StrangeDaysroundaboutnowseanjgrandact73macguiwatto_cobraurahara
  • Reply 5 of 14
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,373member
    The longer cable is very helpful if you have a standing desk, need to route the cable through a wire management harness, or want more placement flexibility when using a charging dock that uses the Apple Watch cable/puck. These are the reasons why I use a 2m USB-A Apple Watch charging cable with my 5th Gen Apple Watch. The charger itself is plugged into my UPS/Surge Protector that sits on the floor under my standing desk and the cable runs through a grommet on the desktop. 

My biggest complaints with the charging cable/puck that Apple sells or puts in the box are the slippery back coupled with the too-stiff cable. For some reason the puck always wants to flip, slip, and slide around on whatever surface I place it on, especially on bedside tables in hotels. It lives up to its puck name. Once the watch is sitting on the puck everything calms down a bit, but due to the stiffness and torsion on the cable you’re usually left with an awkward loop of protruding cable to snag your fingers on whenever you’re checking the time in the middle of the night. 

Does the Ampere charger still exhibit the cable stiffness and torsion behaviors with the additional jacket of braided material? 

edited November 2022 appleinsideruserwatto_cobraurahara
  • Reply 6 of 14
    JP234 said:
    Imagine not understanding the concept of multiple chargers for different situations.

You beat me to it, try as I may I just HAVE to have pucks in different places.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 14
    JP234 said:
    ... or that many people wear their watch while they sleep and charge it during the daytime.
    StrangeDaysgrandact73watto_cobraurahara
  • Reply 8 of 14
    But when you wear it all night (for sleep analysis), you can't just leave it on the charger all night. BTW, my puck that came with ultra does not give me 80% in 40 minutes. Is there a setting I'm missing?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 14
    It’s actually $49, not $39. Apple’s is $29. Yes it’s longer but the price diff is pretty nuts. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 14
    We use the Apple combo portable chargers when traveling to charge our iPhones and iWatches. Everything is fully charged by morning.

We both also have the same model dual device chargers on our bed side night stands.

I have an iPhone 14 Pro Max and an Ultra watch and my wife has my old iPhone 13 Pro Max and a S7 iWatch.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 14
    I wonder about this ocean plastics. How much is really there. Because it degrades there. And what i have heard/read, one cannot make a product that is 100% ocean plastic… usually it is 10% maximum, or even less… but it reads well in PR materials of course…
    appleinsideruserwatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 14
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,360member
    djmalik said:
    BTW, my puck that came with ultra does not give me 80% in 40 minutes. Is there a setting I'm missing?
    The Ultra has a larger battery, so it takes about an hour to reach 80%. Sometimes I charge my Watch while I sleep, so the slower charger works fine. When I use Sleep Tracking it gets charged at night and in the morning. If the Watch gets a lot of use during the day, it may get a sip from the Apple higher speed charger, and it's much faster than the older charger.

However the Ampere charger still doesn't see worth $50 to me. Basically its cable it twice is long as Apple's  and its length is braided. One of the older chargers died because it got a lot of movement, not being mounted in a cradle. A braided cable probably would have prevented that. Now all of them are in cradles so there's no need for braid, and braided cables are as flexible as typical cables.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 14
    Andrew_OSUAndrew_OSU Posts: 573member, editor
    It’s actually $49, not $39. Apple’s is $29. Yes it’s longer but the price diff is pretty nuts. 
    It’s on Amazon for $39. They may have adjust their website pricing. They also have a $29 version that is shorter.