New Apple TV 4K gets fix for storage space bug

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
Apple has released tvOS 16.1.1, which fixes a bug that would prevent the 128GB Apple TV 4K from installing apps after 64GB was filled.

tvOS 16.1.1 addresses an issue with the latest Apple TV 4K
tvOS 16.1.1 addresses an issue with the latest Apple TV 4K

The third-generation Apple TV 4K released in 2022 has a 128GB storage option for the first time. A bug within tvOS was causing some users to be able to access only 64GB of that internal storage before running into an error.

It appears that the tvOS 16.1.1 update was released to address that issue specifically. The update will only show up and be installed on the third-generation Apple TV 4K.

Users can wait for the update to install automatically or initiate the update manually using the Settings app. Users affected by the bug should update as soon as is reasonable.

How to update the Apple TV

• On the Home Screen, select the Settings app

• Scroll to the bottom and select "System"

• Select "Software Updates

• Select "Update Software"

• A dialog will alert you if an update is available, select the update option to begin

• The Apple TV will restart once the update is complete

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,251member
    Are AppleTV apps allowed to download videos, movies and TV shows filling up large portions of the storage to keep the shows from stuttering, losing resolution and sound? I'm sure Apple's products are programmed to get a jump on videos to allow them to be viewed properly. Philo seems to have problems with Hallmark movies, even DVR'd ones. Is is possible for other AppleTV apps to be programmed to start downloading videos before they start showing them to have a buffer to keep them going?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 10
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    rob53 said:
    Are AppleTV apps allowed to download videos, movies and TV shows filling up large portions of the storage to keep the shows from stuttering, losing resolution and sound? I'm sure Apple's products are programmed to get a jump on videos to allow them to be viewed properly. Philo seems to have problems with Hallmark movies, even DVR'd ones. Is is possible for other AppleTV apps to be programmed to start downloading videos before they start showing them to have a buffer to keep them going?
    No, the storage is for apps and their data only. No content is downloaded and stored.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 10
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,284member
    rob53 said:

There's always a little buffer while streaming to ensure a smooth experience. You can tell that there is when you fast forward a little bit.My experience shows that it keeps a minimal amount of the past as well so you can rewind smoothly and repeat something without having to wait.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 10
    williamhwilliamh Posts: 1,033member
    This temporary issue has undoubtedly caused incalculable damage to several people who may not even own AppleTV 4k but who nevertheless are representing all of us and are in the process of obtaining legal representation right now as I type.
    coolfactorFileMakerFellerzeus423lotoneswilliamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 10
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,166member
    A bug, or someone forgot to update that part of the software when the new model was prototyped?
    coolfactorlotoneswatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 10
    jibjib Posts: 56member
    lkrupp said:
    rob53 said:
    No, the storage is for apps and their data only. No content is downloaded and stored.
    The storage is also used for the screensavers that are downloaded.  It can be quite a lot -- I have over 30 screensavers.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 10
    entropys said:
    A bug, or someone forgot to update that part of the software when the new model was prototyped?

It's technically a bug since it's not working as expected on a device with a larger storage capacity. And this bug was likely caused by a hard-coded value that was missed during testing. This bug highlights Apple's weaker-than-ideal testing processes common with many of their software products. This bug never should have made it to production.
    FileMakerFellermuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 8 of 10
    Dudes, the thing has been out like a week-ish...  this is stupid.  My gosh articles are getting petty...
    I don't even think I have gotten thru the 64GB yet...

It's like this Gravediggaz, lyric: "Oops you moved, the..."

If Apple even moves or blinks there's this "cacophony of articles" posted like it's "curtains for Apple."

I mean I get the old days of Doom and Gloom but this is ridiculous now a 0.0.1 update bit flip?

Yeesh, it was like the press and pump & dumpers were praying and hoping this was 100% hardware unfixable!
    lotoneslkruppwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 10
    mike1 said:
    rob53 said:

There's always a little buffer while streaming to ensure a smooth experience. You can tell that there is when you fast forward a little bit.My experience shows that it keeps a minimal amount of the past as well so you can rewind smoothly and repeat something without having to wait.
    That buffer needs around 4GB as proven by 4K content on Amazon Fire TV. - not 64 GB "little buffer" Otherwise it would be storage bad management.
    edited November 2022
  • Reply 10 of 10
    williamh said:
    This temporary issue has undoubtedly caused incalculable damage to several people who may not even own AppleTV 4k but who nevertheless are representing all of us and are in the process of obtaining legal representation right now as I type.
    Well perhaps some people overpaid for the device that was promised to have much more memory, but in fact it was sold with non usable hardware for premium price.

It does not matter who reported or complained. Some people wanted to buy 4K as upgrade and they needed to take action to get Apple arrogant people to fix that storage issue. 

I know for fact how Apple testing culture is internally as having friend in their development team who left them not that long ago. He stood really hard to complacent and arrogant managers who did not want to change to improve. Now Apple, may reconsider rehiring him as he is an expert working on autonomous cars in Silicon Valley large projects run by competitors. I bet they accepted his ways there.
    edited November 2022 muthuk_vanalingam