St. Louis Apple Store second to seek IAM union membership

Posted:
in General Discussion edited November 2022
The International Association of Machinists and Aerospace Workers union has filed to represent employees at the St. Louis Apple Store.

Apple Store St. Louis
Apple Store St. Louis

IAM already represents Apple Towson Town Center employees in Maryland and seeks to make the St. Louis store its second unionized location. The union organization has filed a petition with the National Labor Relations Board to represent the 82 St. Louis Apple Store employees.

The decision to unionized comes after employees feel that Apple hasn't been fair in its treatment or pay. The IAM has already filed an Unfair Labor Practice charge at the NLRB against Apple for requiring the St. Louis Apple store employees to attend a captive audience meeting, and threatening reprisal if employees vote to unionize.

"I am incredibly grateful that our store team is taking the necessary steps to advocate for ourselves as we prepare to unionize our store officially," said St. Louis Apple store employee Daniel Bertilson. "As an employee of Apple for over five years, I have unfortunately had to watch as the culture of this company has shifted from truly embodying a people-first mentality. I look forward to voting yes on my ballot and allowing our team members to partner with Apple to achieve the common goal of serving our customers with warmth and kindness."

The Maryland Apple Store that previously unionized has already run into issues. Apple has updated employee benefits for non-unionized employees, but the Maryland store must negotiate for the new benefits.

Apple's retail chief Deirdre O'Brien pushed back against initial unionization efforts. She has said that the efforts could slow workplace progress and potentially harm the relationship between Apple and its employees.

Once the petition passes the NLRB, employees at the St. Louis Apple Store will get to vote on joining the union. The Maryland store saw a vote of 65 for, and 33 against unionization, and the St. Louis location may see similar results.

Read on AppleInsider
ronn

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    JFC_PAJFC_PA Posts: 932member
    Is there an available explanation for selecting “ The International Association of Machinists and Aerospace Workers union” to represent retail sales clerks? Machinists and aerospace workers seemingly worlds apart from sales clerks. And with that minimal expertise in how a sales position functions. 
    davgreg
  • Reply 2 of 19
    JFC_PA said:
    Is there an available explanation for selecting “ The International Association of Machinists and Aerospace Workers union” to represent retail sales clerks? Machinists and aerospace workers seemingly worlds apart from sales clerks. And with that minimal expertise in how a sales position functions. 
    What about Apple pinching its name from the fruit growers association’s products?
    darkvader
  • Reply 3 of 19
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    There are two Apple Stores  in the St. Louis area, neither of which are within the city limits of St. Louis. So which ever store is unionizing I will shop at the other store until it unionizes and then it will be online only or Best Buy. Fuck those union employees because their customer service will be terrible. The store managers won’t be able to take any disciplinary action against employees who ignore or mistreat customers. That’s how unions work.
    jibtrustnoone00davgregiOS_Guy80macxpress
  • Reply 4 of 19
    JFC_PA said:
    I doubt that it matters on a practical level but it would be really entertaining to have seen Tim Cook at the bargaining table negotiating with the Teamsters.
    darkvader
  • Reply 5 of 19
    lkrupp said:
    There are two Apple Stores  in the St. Louis area, neither of which are within the city limits of St. Louis. So which ever store is unionizing I will shop at the other store until it unionizes and then it will be online only or Best Buy. Fuck those union employees because their customer service will be terrible. The store managers won’t be able to take any disciplinary action against employees who ignore or mistreat customers. That’s how unions work.
    I feel strongly about not buying products manufactured in dictatorships; it doesn't bother me much if the company has unionized employees. By comparison, the evil of unions is nothing compared to the evils of dictatorships.

Of course, most or all of Apple's products (and most competing companies) are made in dictatorships, so I don't have much choice. However Apple's prime contractor is often Foxconn, which is a Taiwan-based company not a communist-China-based company, so that eases my pain a little bit. Much of the profit when I buy an Apple product ends up in Taiwan, which has a higher freedom index than many west European countries.
    darkvader
  • Reply 6 of 19
    The Apple name? Try The Beatles. To the point they had a legal agreement regarding it. 

Butwhatabout is  such fun. 

Granted a Beetles computer could have been fab. 

And I’m still of the opinion the relevant expertise regarding the specific working conditions, skills required etc. matter. Unions do for the most matter organize and represent specific groups with similar positions: teachers, electricians, steamfitters etc. representatives with zero idea what their members do and face? Their negotiations being based on ignorance don’t seem to offer much in a positive direction. Now, sure, retail sales clerks for a different product, books, groceries, clothes, that union could surely jump right in. But machinists and aerospace?The work environment alone is light years different, as are the skill sets for the various positions. 
    edited November 2022
  • Reply 7 of 19
    danoxdanox Posts: 2,869member
    Thatcherism is alive and well in America….
    darkvader
  • Reply 8 of 19
    lkrupp said:
    Seems that union is picked just because of Boeing being in town and represented via them, hardly the same skills and requirements though.
  • Reply 9 of 19
    chadbagchadbag Posts: 2,000member
    JFC_PA said:
    I did not find anything directly to your point but it seems “The International Association of Machinists and Aerospace Workers” is more a historical name that has been maintained.  The focus of the union over time has greatly expanded with mergers, expansion, etc.   it may be because Apple is a hi-tech company and some of their other efforts are hi-tech associated it appears that they were chosen.  

I’m not a union expert and am generally not supportive of modern labor unions.  The above came about through some online overview research. 
    FileMakerFellerdarkvader
  • Reply 10 of 19
    davgregdavgreg Posts: 1,037member
    Unions in the American form are cancer.
    I will not knowingly shop at any unionized Apple Store and as a shareholder would prefer they shutter them or lock out the now former employees.

Given the current Supreme Court, Apple should seek to gut the Wagner Act a.k.a. The National Labor Relations Act.

jib
  • Reply 11 of 19
    ronnronn Posts: 654member
    Why is The International Association of Machinists and Aerospace Workers representing Apple retail workers? Because there's strength in numbers and their long-standing expertise and infrastructure. Below is their response after successfully organizing the 1st Apple union at the Towson location
    The IAM has launched organizing campaigns in non-traditional industries to grow the strength of the IAM and working families over the past few years, including the Baltimore County Public Library system, tech industry, healthcare, and veterinary medicine. This campaign was an employee-driven campaign from the start and can take credit for Apple’s decision to raise the starting wages for every Apple retail employee across the nation. 

FileMakerFellerdarkvader
  • Reply 12 of 19
    JFC_PA said:
    Hire for attitude, train for skills.

And, as Ronn has pointed out, the union is already working to gain the necessary skills to support workers in industries the union has not represented in years gone by.
    darkvader
  • Reply 13 of 19

lkrupp said:
    "I am incredibly grateful that our store team is taking the necessary steps to advocate for ourselves as we prepare to unionize our store officially," said St. Louis Apple store employee Daniel Bertilson. "As an employee of Apple for over five years, I have unfortunately had to watch as the culture of this company has shifted from truly embodying a people-first mentality. I look forward to voting yes on my ballot and allowing our team members to partner with Apple to achieve the common goal of serving our customers with warmth and kindness."
    It sounds like the employees are the ones taking disciplinary action against the management mistreating customers. Michael Moore has interviewed two of the Towson store employees: https://www.michaelmoore.com/p/forget-me-not#details

I'm curious to see how this plays out over the next few years.
    darkvader
  • Reply 14 of 19
    JFC_PA said:
    I am a 30+ year retired IAM member and actually worked in its true field of aircraft.  Today the IAM union represents everything from nurses, auto mechanics, aircraft worker, machinist, retail sales workers, library workers, loading and receiving dock employees. It really does not matter to me if the employees are represented or not. A union membership normally is more to prevent unjust and unfair labor practices. I know that folks can and will be fired that are union members. I do know that alcohol/drug abuse is the leading cause of dismissal from a companies and especially where lives depend on the person to be 100% correct in doing their jobs. 
  • Reply 15 of 19
    darkvaderdarkvader Posts: 1,146member
    davgreg said:
    I will not knowingly shop at any unionized Apple Store and as a shareholder would prefer they shutter them or lock out the now former employees.

Given the current Supreme Court, Apple should seek to gut the Wagner Act a.k.a. The National Labor Relations Act.

Do you want Apple stores firebombed?  Because that's how you get Apple stores firebombed.

Unions allow employees to peacefully negotiate with employers.  Take that away, and you get violent strikes.  It's happened in America before, and it can happen again.

So sit down and STFU about unions if you don't have positive things to say about them.  American workers are sick of the real cancer on America today - unchecked corporate power.
    muthuk_vanalingamronndanox
  • Reply 16 of 19
    Front page article in the St. Louis Post Dispatch newspaper this morning about this. One of the reasons given for unionizing was “the pressure to meet sales metrics.”  Purchased my iPhone 13 in this store this past summer. As I was finalizing the purchase the store rep asked me if I needed a charger or a case. Oh, the ungodly pressure she must have been under! Now she’ll just be an order taker who’ll swipe my credit card and hand me a receipt I guess.
    edited November 2022
  • Reply 17 of 19
    lkrupp said:
    Front page article in the St. Louis Post Dispatch newspaper this morning about this. One of the reasons given for unionizing was “the pressure to meet sales metrics.”  Purchased my iPhone 13 in this store this past summer. As I was finalizing the purchase the store rep asked me if I needed a charger or a case. Oh, the ungodly pressure she must have been under! Now she’ll just be an order taker who’ll swipe my credit card and hand me a receipt I guess.
    As an AAPL shareholder, I understand that you want each and every Apple employee to be put under tremendous pressure to maximize your profits. However, is that a bad thing from a customer point of view? Why would you be upset as a customer in this case?
  • Reply 18 of 19
    lkrupp said:
    As an AAPL shareholder, I understand that you want each and every Apple employee to be put under tremendous pressure to maximize your profits. However, is that a bad thing from a customer point of view? Why would you be upset as a customer in this case?
    Oh the horror of asking a customer to consider buying something! Isn’t that what salespeople do? So just walk up to the customer and say, “Okay, what do you want?” Don't offer suggestions unless the customer asks for one? Don’t offer additional products to go along with the product they are considering? You want to know about pressure? How working on a commission only basis? No sell, no eat. That’s what I did for a number of years. That’s pressure! Yeah, I know all about some customers who are outraged when a salesman has the audacity to ask them to buy the product. I used to sell incredibly high-priced musical instruments to churches, that is pipe organs that cost $500K and more, had to deal with committees composed of middle class people who wouldn’t make that much money in their lifetimes. Its was like herding cats to get them make a decision. 
    edited November 2022
  • Reply 19 of 19
    danoxdanox Posts: 2,869member
    davgreg said:

Then you will like the present day UK which has nothing going for it except for NHS which the tories want to eliminate. Rumor has it the Republican’s have floated the idea of cutting out reducing social security.

Unions are good for the American worker:

To think the 40 hour work week as we know it in the United States is only about 108 years old…. 

“On 5 January 1914 the Ford Motor Company took the radical step of doubling pay to $5 a day (adjusted for inflation: $129.55 as of 2020) and cut shifts from nine hours to eight, moves that were not popular with rival companies, although seeing the increase in Ford's productivity, and a significant increase in profit margin (from $30 million to $60 million in two years), most soon followed suit. 

In the summer of 1915, amid increased labor demand for World War I, a series of strikes demanding the eight-hour day began in Bridgeport, Connecticut. They were so successful that they spread throughout the Northeast. The United States Adamson Act in 1916 established an eight-hour day, with additional pay for overtime, for railroad workers. This was the first federal law that regulated the hours of workers in private companies. The United States Supreme Court upheld the constitutionality of the Act in Wilson v. New, 243 U.S. 332 (1917). 

The eight-hour day might have been realized for many working people in the US in 1937, when what became the Fair Labor Standards Act (29 U.S. Code Chapter 8) was first proposed under the New Deal. As enacted, the act applied to industries whose combined employment represented about twenty percent of the US labor force. In those industries, it set the maximum workweek at 40 hours, but provided that employees working beyond 40 hours a week would receive additional overtime bonus salaries.”

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eight-hour_day#United_States

People forget Unions are the main reason for most of the benefits all workers get in the US. The fight started not long after 1776…

ronnmuthuk_vanalingam