Tim Cook attends opening of Adele's Las Vegas residency

Posted:
in General Discussion
Apple CEO Tim Cook was in attendance at the opening night of Adele's Las Vegas residency on Friday, watching the singer start her run of performances.

Adele [Caesars Palace]
Adele [Caesars Palace]

Performing at the Colosseum at Caesars Palace, Adele played to an audience of 4,100 people at the opening night. In attendance were many major personalities in showbiz and in business, including one from Apple.

In a list of high-profile attendees at the event, Tim Cook is listed alongside WeWork founder Adam Neumann, execs from Sony Music Group and CBS, director Baz Luhrmann, British artist Stormzy, and James Corden. While Cook's individual opinion isn't covered by Variety, the group of VIPs were said to be "audibly and visibly thrilled," complete with "screams and frequent standing ovations."

The performance was long-awaited, as the residency was originally set to start in January. However, production issues and Adele's unhappiness with the staging led to a nine-month delay.

At the start of the show, the singer apologized to those in attendance, saying "I'm truly sorry for any inconvenience and any disappointment that I've caused." The two-hour show then ensued, with almost 30 minutes of banter accompanying her greatest hits.

Read on AppleInsider
ronn

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    Dang. Adele… THE Adele went to Las Vegas residency status already? 

Man, that went quick. 

From shooting star to another piece of Vegas. Doesn’t seem right. 
    JP234fred1
  • Reply 2 of 22
    Thanks for the update TMZ! Oh wait, I mean ai.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 3 of 22
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,337moderator
    JP234 said:
    A Las Vegas "residency" is how celebrities admit that their salad days are over, and they are no longer relevant. But can still draw an audience of aging fans.
    It's not the same for everyone. Adele said she wants to have another baby next year and doesn't like touring.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2021/dec/03/security-intimacy-and-money-why-adele-is-going-to-las-vegas

She's doing 32 shows in Vegas at venues that seat over 4000 and tickets are over $700.

32 x 4000 x $700 = $90m

$90m in one year is hardly a sign of a washed up celebrity. Adele also had one of the best selling albums last year:

https://bestsellingalbums.org/year/2021

These days the sign of a washed up celebrity is selling personal messages on Cameo.
    williamlondonthtnetrox9secondkox2watto_cobradewmeronnlolliverjony0
  • Reply 4 of 22
    XedXed Posts: 2,597member
    JP234 said:
    A Las Vegas "residency" is how celebrities admit that their salad days are over, and they are no longer relevant. But can still draw an audience of aging fans.
    LOL Remind me to not reach out to you for financial planning advice.
    M68000williamlondonthtronnlolliverentropysjony0
  • Reply 5 of 22

Man, that went quick. 

She actually was supposed to start in January, but canceled because her sets weren’t ready. My sisters wanted to go and were upset that didn’t happen. Will have to ask if they know it started up again.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 22
    ciacia Posts: 259member
    Marvin said:
    These days the sign of a washed up celebrity is selling personal messages on Cameo.
    Ding ding ding!  This right here!
    edited November 2022 watto_cobraronn
  • Reply 7 of 22
    JP234 said:

Man, that went quick. 

LOL, if you were a superstar whose audience isn't getting any younger, and Caesar's Palace backed a Brinks Truck loaded with money up to your house, what would YOU do? Here's my guess: "I'm in!"
    That's kind of my point. She's doing this because she needs to and that is sad to me. At least it's a way to have a steady flow. of income and outlet for her art. I disagree about the "aging fans" bit. She has fans of all ages en masse. If her last album is anything to go by though, it really didn't connect and have the same resonance nor artistic value as her previous works. I think she spent her aces already, but she could have more - just needs time to rest and recharge the creativity. Happens to everyone. Hopefully this is a stopgap that keeps her in coin while the creative batteries charge back up. 
    edited November 2022 watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 22
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    JP234 said:
    Marvin said:
    JP234 said:
    It's not the same for everyone. Adele said she wants to have another baby next year and doesn't like touring.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2021/dec/03/security-intimacy-and-money-why-adele-is-going-to-las-vegas

She's doing 32 shows in Vegas at venues that seat over 4000 and tickets are over $700.

32 x 4000 x $700 = $90m

$90m in one year is hardly a sign of a washed up celebrity. Adele also had one of the best selling albums last year:

Wayne Newton was washed up in 1975, but he's still making millions every year from 80-something women.
    Elvis was washed up in 1969, but he saw the washed-up Tom Jones making a ton of money, and old ladies throwing their panties at him on stage, and he cashed in from 1969 to 1977.
    Celine Dion has been washed up since 1997, but she's made tens of millions in Las Vegas. She has a $1.5 million mansion in LV, too. Not bad for a Canadian with no talent.
    Your knowledge of washed up talent is impressive, so I’ll defer to your expertise. But, exactly what point are you trying to make? 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 22
    These are the funniest posts I’ve seen on AppleInsider. Vegas level comedians!
    jeffharriswatto_cobralolliver
  • Reply 10 of 22
    JP234 said:

Man, that went quick. 

LOL, if you were a superstar whose audience isn't getting any younger, and Caesar's Palace backed a Brinks Truck loaded with money up to your house, what would YOU do? Here's my guess: "I'm in!"
    That's kind of my point. She's doing this because she needs to and that is sad to me. At least it's a way to have a steady flow. of income and outlet for her art. I disagree about the "aging fans" bit. She has fans of all ages en masse. If her last album is anything to go by though, it really didn't connect and have the same resonance nor artistic value as her previous works. I think she spent her aces already, but she could have more - just needs time to rest and recharge the creativity. Happens to everyone. Hopefully this is a stopgap that keeps her in coin while the creative batteries charge back up. 
    She needs to? She's 34yo with a net worth of a couple hundred million dollars. She doesn't need to this. She wants to and she's getting paid a great deal to it with plenty of time off for herself and family. Why is that hard to understand about a 5 month residency with only Friday and Saturday shows? Seems like a pretty fucking good gig to me.

Lady Gaga did it for 2 years so she could make a lot of money while focusing on her next big album. I think your idea of Vegas entertainment is an antiquated notion of when the town was run by wise guys.

edited November 2022 watto_cobrathtronnlolliverroundaboutnowjony0
  • Reply 11 of 22
    Xed said:
    JP234 said:

Man, that went quick. 

She needs to? She's 34yo with a net worth of a couple hundred million dollars. She doesn't need to this. She wants to and she's getting paid a great deal to it with plenty of time off for herself and family. Why is that hard to understand about a 5 month residency with only Friday and Saturday shows? Seems like a pretty fucking good gig to me.

Lady Gaga did it for 2 years so she could make a lot of money while focusing on her next big album. I think your idea of Vegas entertainment is an antiquated notion of when the town was run by wise guys.

Your "need to" might be satisfied with millions in the bank. She however is on another level. Yes,  she needs to. Not only to fund her lifestyle and endeavors, but also also as an. artist, she "needs" an outlet - and one that pays well. 

Also, your closing statements inadvertently confirmed my point. She can do this while recharging her creative batteries and come out with something significant later. 
  • Reply 12 of 22
    Xed said:
    JP234 said:

Man, that went quick. 

Your "need to" might be satisfied with millions in the bank. She however is on another level. Yes,  she needs to. Not only to fund her lifestyle and endeavors, but also also as an. artist, she "needs" an outlet - and one that pays well. 

Also, your closing statements inadvertently confirmed my point. She can do this while recharging her creative batteries and come out with something significant later. 
    Even if you could show me that she couldn’t support her lifestyle without this 5 month gig, it would be a sharp contract to your initial
    point suggesting that she’s so washed up as an artist that she is now a Las Vegas act with your “from a shooting star to another Vegas act” comment. I think you realize your brash initial reaction was in error and are now trying to save face.
    ronnlolliverroundaboutnowjony0
  • Reply 13 of 22
    Wonder if Tim had to use ticketmaster to get his tix.
  • Reply 14 of 22
    I think it is clear that Adele is at least planning on a big break and is fulfilling her remaining contracts before she does. Her next album may be '50'. 
  • Reply 15 of 22
    JP234 said:
    Japhey said:
    JP234 said:
    Marvin said:
    JP234 said:

32 x 4000 x $700 = $90m

Wayne Newton was washed up in 1975, but he's still making millions every year from 80-something women.
    Elvis was washed up in 1969, but he saw the washed-up Tom Jones making a ton of money, and old ladies throwing their panties at him on stage, and he cashed in from 1969 to 1977.
    Celine Dion has been washed up since 1997, but she's made tens of millions in Las Vegas. She has a $1.5 million mansion in LV, too. Not bad for a Canadian with no talent.
    Your knowledge of washed up talent is impressive, so I’ll defer to your expertise. But, exactly what point are you trying to make? 
    Just for you, Japhey: Adele is washed up. Clear enough?
    Yes, yes. Adele is washed up. I get that. But, what the hell is your point? Surely you’ve spent all this time and energy trying to convince everyone of that for a reason? Do you get that?
  • Reply 16 of 22
    Japhey said:
    JP234 said:
    Japhey said:
    JP234 said:
    Marvin said:
    JP234 said:

32 x 4000 x $700 = $90m

Yes, yes. Adele is washed up. I get that. But, what the hell is your point? Surely you’ve spent all this time and energy trying to convince everyone of that for a reason? Do you get that?
    $50 million in pre-sale ticket sales for her 5 month of concerts in Vegas. Does that really sound washed up to you?

https://www.billboard.com/pro/adele-earn-2-million-las-vegas-shows/
    thinkman100000000
  • Reply 17 of 22
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,180member
    Ah Tim. Admit it lads and lasses, if you were Tim Apple and wanted to go to Adele’s opener at Vegas, you would. Yes indeed. I would, and I don’t own one Adele song. It would be a great weekend.

As my old boss used to say to me when I raised the proprietary of living the high life while people were homeless: “listen young entropy, while you are the king you live like the king, because one day you won’t be”.
  • Reply 18 of 22
    JP234 said:
    A residency at Ceasar's Colosseum means no such thing! The idea that Adele, who's at the height of her popularity, is waning is ludicrous! I've attended concerts there and the enormously costly, lavish productions say otherwise. I get that Las Vegas is the last-best-hope of many artists on their way down, but it's also the home of some of the most successful performers and astounding performances anywhere on the planet.
    roundaboutnow
  • Reply 19 of 22
    JP234 said:
    Xed said:
    $50 million in pre-sale ticket sales for her 5 month of concerts in Vegas. Does that really sound washed up to you?
    That's not even tip money for Taylor Swift. 
    Not making as much as Taylor Swift ≠ washed up, but you believe wheat you want to believe.

it looks like the $950,000 per show for Adele is her take, which may or may not be adjusted for her personal staff and other payouts, but it might be since these residency shows tend to pay allot payments and services to keep everything as simple as possible for the big acts.

Taylor Swift's 2018 Reputation Stadium Tour did break the record for the highest-grossing U.S. stadium tour of all time with $345 million from 38 shows. That is about $9 million per show, but that is gross. Those shows have a lot of overhead but I'm sure it's more than Adele is taking in per night but it's harder work and more stress to travel constantly. The previous record was held by The Rolling Stones, whose A Bigger Bang Tour from 2005 to 2007 grossed $245 million across 70 shows. =
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 20 of 22
    Xed said:
    Japhey said:
    JP234 said:
    Japhey said:
    JP234 said:
    Marvin said:
    JP234 said:

32 x 4000 x $700 = $90m

I have no opinion on Adele, whatsoever. I was just wondering why someone would spend that much time and energy talking about anyone they considered washed-up. I mean, look at the length of some of those posts…all repeating the same thing over and over. Most people would just say “I don’t like (x)”, or “(x) is washed-up” and go on with their day. What was the point of such an aggressive defense? What was the point? 
    muthuk_vanalingam