Steve Jobs hand-numbered Apple-I goes up for auction

Posted:
in General Discussion edited December 2022
A fully working Apple-I motherboard a number handwritten by Steve Jobs, plus all accessories, is expected to get $375,000 at auction.

Previously sold at auction for $375,000 in 2018, it's a "Byte Shop"- style Apple-I, meaning this is how it would have been delivered to that store in 1976. It has a number handwritten by Jobs.

"That Jobs numbered these himself is a recent revelation in the Apple-1 world," says the auction entry at RR Auction. "This computer is listed as #78 in the Apple-1 Registry, and was originally sold by RR Auction in 2018."

"The most remarkable aspect of this Apple-1 computer is that it is documented to be fully operational," continues the listing. "[The] system was operated without fault for approximately eight hours in a comprehensive test."

RR Auction says that a video of the test is available on request, as is "a comprehensive, technical condition report" by restorer Corey Cohen.

This Apple-I is part of an online auction that will end on December 16, 2022. At time of writing, it has a top bid of $219,615.

The same RR Auction also features a NeXT Computer brochure, signed by Jobs. It's expected to fetch $10,000.

Apple-I auctions now occur regularly, even if some are disputed.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Why not just take a picture of it and raffle it off as a NFT? /s
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 2
    M68000M68000 Posts: 715member
    That is truly worth having.  Have not looked at the specs to see the video output.  A lot of early computers and video game systems relied on NTSC television using RF channels 3 or 4 via coax cable or lug type cabling to the tv….  I still have an old Sony tube TV in storage. I bet most people no longer have such old TV’s.   Maybe my old TV can go up for auction years from now LOL
    edited December 2022 watto_cobra