iMac could have been made without a chin, proves new hack

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 49
    So.. is had to jump over to MacRumors to see the pics and even a really well done video. 

Hey Ai, can we get photos and s video on this article please? 
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 42 of 49
    designr said:
    I'm thinking that the "chin" is a little bit of a part of Apple's legacy Macintosh "identity" and design language. I think it's a long shot to go away.

It was never meant to be part of design language (which of course changes over time). That was born out of two needs: 1) functionality (where to put the actual computing parts as well as space to dissipate heat) and 2) ergonomics. It was basically a mini tower with a monitor built in. The monitor being higher make it easier on the eyes and neck. The reason this feature is no longer sensible is described in my previous post. 

Neither of the items is a challenge anymore. As design languages evolve to work with new engineering capabilities, it’s time to drop the chin. 

Keeping stuff around “because that’s they way it’s always been done” is code for holding back progress and innovation. 

If you polled a thousand people over two pictures, one of the studio display and one of the iMac, they’d pick the studio display. People were vocal about their displeasure when seeing the new iMac. Those same people were enthusiastic when seeing the studio display. It’s time to let obsolete dead weight fall by the wayside. Respect the past and move forward. 

• Reply 43 of 49
    I have a late 2013 27" iMac, quite obsolete by today's standards but nonetheless, still quite functional. I like the chin. Different strokes for different folks.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 44 of 49
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    jimh2 said:
    The people who waste their time doing something like this that is of no benefit need to redirect their time to doing something productive. There are more decisions that go into a product beyond cosmetic ones. One consideration could be cooling and another could be packaging or the functionality of the hinge in terms of its tilt capabilities. The guy who swapped the lightning port for a USB-C port was a colossal waste of time with no redeeming value as it could have been done by Apple if they wanted to do it. 
    Why do things done for fun, or for a personal challenge need to have a “redeeming value” or “benefit”? There’s more to life than being “productive”.
    dewmemacguimuthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra
  • Reply 45 of 49
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,358member
    longfang said:
    Muzgash69 said:
    I disagree with part of the article here "would require expensive and complex CNC machining". Think of how a lot of metal today is molded with a die press. The same could be done here. I'd be even so ventured to say that is how the backs are currently manufactured. A metal shell that is mold made is nothing new or unique. I think it assuming that this would be more expensive even if the internals have to be reorganized.
    Apple machines their chassis from a block of aluminum though.
    That was his point. Apple removes aluminum to form the shape. The removed aluminum is then recycled for use in another Mac. There is no waste. If anything this process ensures the aluminum is very refined as melting it down again n removes any dross missed previously. 
    The more material Apple has to remove and the more material that has to be recycled adds to production costs. While the material itself isn't wasted, time and money are. So AI is correct about production requiring expensive and complex CNC machining. More expensive and complex CNC machining than without that bump on the back. Apple would never go for that ugly boxy aesthetic in the first place.

The comment about the chin having value by hiding cables is ludicrous. Apple provides cable management in the form of the hole in the iMac's stand. Pass all the cabling through it and down the back and like ::magic::! it's vanished.
    XedAlex_Vwatto_cobra
  • Reply 46 of 49
    macgui said:
    longfang said:
    Muzgash69 said:
    I disagree with part of the article here "would require expensive and complex CNC machining". Think of how a lot of metal today is molded with a die press. The same could be done here. I'd be even so ventured to say that is how the backs are currently manufactured. A metal shell that is mold made is nothing new or unique. I think it assuming that this would be more expensive even if the internals have to be reorganized.
    That was his point. Apple removes aluminum to form the shape. The removed aluminum is then recycled for use in another Mac. There is no waste. If anything this process ensures the aluminum is very refined as melting it down again n removes any dross missed previously. 
    The more material Apple has to remove and the more material that has to be recycled adds to production costs. While the material itself isn't wasted, time and money are. So AI is correct about production requiring expensive and complex CNC machining. More expensive and complex CNC machining than without that bump on the back. Apple would never go for that ugly boxy aesthetic in the first place.

The comment about the chin having value by hiding cables is ludicrous. Apple provides cable management in the form of the hole in the iMac's stand. Pass all the cabling through it and down the back and like ::magic::! it's vanished.
    The bump in the back is nasty. I hate the chin, but d rather have it than “the hump”

that said, it wouldn’t add to any waste at all, but would require a bit more machining time. And then again, maybe not. It depends on the size of block they use. 

Regarding cable management, it’s true. The chin doesn’t hide the cables. The stand has built in management. See Pro Display XDR and studio display. 
    williamlondon
  • Reply 47 of 49
    XedXed Posts: 2,543member
    macgui said:
    longfang said:
    Muzgash69 said:

The bump in the back is nasty. I hate the chin, but d rather have it than “the hump”

that said, it wouldn’t add to any waste at all, but would require a bit more machining time. And then again, maybe not. It depends on the size of block they use. 

Regarding cable management, it’s true. The chin doesn’t hide the cables. The stand has built in management. See Pro Display XDR and studio display. 
    As already stated macgui, machining a larger block for this design creates more waste. That doesn’t mean it can’t be recycled and reused, but it's still a waste in regards to the original block of material. Think of a plastic, glass, or cardboard containers that can recycled. That doesn’t mean it’s not waste simply because it can go through a laborious process of being recycled and reused.
  • Reply 48 of 49
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,877member
    dewme said:
    charles1 said:
    I figured out the easy way to get a chinless iMac: make the chin a "forehead." Buy an iMac with a VESA mount, put it on a monitor arm, turn the screen upside down, and use a screen utility to rotate the displayed contents 180 degrees. The only downside is you get the Apple logo upside down at the top. But with a monitor arm, you can bring the screen much closer to the desktop, which is what I really want. I dislike the fixed height of the stand on iMacs, I'd like it to go lower sometimes.
    I’m not eager for a “Max Headroom” iMac layout because it wouldn’t be any more aesthetically compatible with a second side-by-side monitor versus the default “Jay Leno” iMac layout. I’m a huge fan of VESA monitor arms - if you have the space and compatible desk for one. I only recently discovered that you can buy the 24” M1 iMac with a VESA mount. 
    +1 for VESA monitor arm. I have two on my sit-stand desk, one holding a 27” iMac and the other holding a 27” monitor for a work laptop. Wireless keyboards & mice, and it’s a pretty clean set up. 

edited December 2022