Apple considering shift of some iPad production into India

Posted:
in General Discussion
As Apple continues to diversify not just its supply chain but manufacturing as well, the company may be eyeing India for some of its iPad production.

Foxconn
Foxconn

Apple has ongoing discussions with officials in India about an increase in production, according to a report on Monday. An agreement om the iPad has yet to be reached, but the country already hosts some of Apple's manufacturing needs.

India has been producing iPhones for Apple since 2017, and recently started manufacturing the iPhone 14 and iPhone 14 Plus in September. Manufacturers in the country could also produce AirPods and Beats earbuds.

Sources say, however, that highly skilled talent in India could slow plans to build complex devices such as the iPad.

In a Saturday report, Apple has allegedly "accelerated plans" to move some of its production out of China. Spurred by strict lockdowns and riots due to COVID-19, it could take as much as eight years to shift as little as ten percent of production out of the country.

Apple has a long-term goal of shipping 40% to 45% of its iPhones from India, up from a current level in the single digits. Vietnam is also expected to take on more production of other products that include AirPods, Apple Watch, and MacBooks.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,834moderator
    Time forgot a Manhattan project inside Apple’s manufacturing and stools chain, perhaps.  
  • Reply 2 of 6
    How about iMacs? Just bought a iMac 24" which is made in Thailand. Unfortunately the worker forgot to pack the USB-C to lightning cable in the box.Is this included in the quality of manufacturing? LOL
  • Reply 3 of 6
    JP234 said:
    How about iMacs? Just bought a iMac 24" which is made in Thailand. Unfortunately the worker forgot to pack the USB-C to lightning cable in the box.Is this included in the quality of manufacturing? LOL
    If you bought it in the last 90 days, or have AppleCare, call AppleCare's toll-free (800-275-2273) and they will make it right for you. 100%
    I bought from LA Computer because it has a $200 off sale. I called them first. They ask me to call Apple. Apple post sale won't do it. It said it only handle sales from Apple. I called back LA Computer. They mailed one to me. My question is will this iMac has one year warranty from Apple? Or I have to call LA Computer if it crashes? 
  • Reply 4 of 6
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,796member
    JP234 said:
    If you bought it in the last 90 days, or have AppleCare, call AppleCare's toll-free (800-275-2273) and they will make it right for you. 100%
    I bought from LA Computer because it has a $200 off sale. I called them first. They ask me to call Apple. Apple post sale won't do it. It said it only handle sales from Apple. I called back LA Computer. They mailed one to me. My question is will this iMac has one year warranty from Apple? Or I have to call LA Computer if it crashes? 
    The warranty on the Mac is valid at any Apple Authorized Service Center that can service Macs. It goes by serial number. Your initial issue with the missing cable wasn't a warrantable issue as nothing was broken. If you're within the window, you can even purchase AppleCare+ for it. It doesn't matter where you bought it. 
    muthuk_vanalingamAlex_Vwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 6
    macxpress said:
    JP234 said:
    The warranty on the Mac is valid at any Apple Authorized Service Center that can service Macs. It goes by serial number. Your initial issue with the missing cable wasn't a warrantable issue as nothing was broken. If you're within the window, you can even purchase AppleCare+ for it. It doesn't matter where you bought it. 
    So is the warranty valid at Apple Store?