Twitter Blue will cost more on an iPhone, than through a browser

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 31
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,362member
    chasm said:
    It is perfectly okay for Twitter and other services to charge extra for services subscribed through Apple (or Android, not mentioned in the article but presumably the price will also increase on other platforms) to offset the cost of doing business through those stores, just as the price you pay buying something in a retail store reflects the cost of doing business there.

If Twitter tries to redirect customers to the less-expensive direct system in the app, however, that would cause Cook to unleash the ninjas, as it is a violation of the TOS.
    I agree. The good news is that recent changes Apple made to their pricing model to allow a lot more pricing flexibility should make it easier for app vendors to do whatever they feel is necessary to manage their business. Unfortunately the cost of doing business is getting hammered in many areas by inflation so we should expect prices to go up across the board. Since Apple’s App Store commissions are proportional to app prices Apple will obviously receive more total dollars, but then again, Apple’s costs of doing business are also going up just like everyone else’s.
    edited December 2022 watto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 31
    Wouldn't the Twitter Blue subscription be considered a real world good or service and thus not required, or allowed, to use Apple's in-app purchase system nor subject to App Store fees?
    That would apply to any digital publication then. So…no. 

This is the stance Epic should’ve taken. Charge more for in-app and done. 

The appeals court should take this example into consideration as epic tries to keep their silly little fight alive. 
    edited December 2022 tht
  • Reply 23 of 31
    danox said:
    tomowa said:
    Just asking, as I am not a Tesla car user. 
    Does Tesla sell subscriptions for "enhanced features".  
    Does Tesla allow 3rd party software/firmware access to its car's operating systems? Or does Tesla control the whole environment?
    Is there any irony in Musks position, regarding Apple here?
    Tesla breaks out some features as line items now, those are now priced extra.

https://www.tesla.com/model3/design#payment
    Nothing like what Mercedes is doing. Yeesh. 
  • Reply 24 of 31
    thttht Posts: 5,444member
    tomowa said:
    Does Tesla allow 3rd party software/firmware access to its car's operating systems? Or does Tesla control the whole environment?
    I’m not sure but I think they charge a one time fee to unlock features but I don’t think it is an ongoing subscription.
    These are the current aftermarket software unlocks Tesla is offering for my Model 3.

One time items consisting of:
    $2000 Acceleration Boost
    $6000 Enhanced Autopilot
    $15000 Full Self Driving

Subscriptions consisting of:
    $199/mo Full Self Driving
    $9.99/mo Premium Connectivity

Tesla's on-screen software platform is obviously Tesla only with contracts for games and services. I'm not sure if, say, they are getting a cut from Spotify subscriptions. They might be. It's not a free for all App Store. You get what you get from Tesla. I don't know what their cancellation policy is.

The software unlocks are at a per-owner level too I think, but perhaps that has changed. The software locks are linked to the account holders, not the car. So if you sell the car to someone else, they may not get the software unlocks and they would have to buy them. Not sure where that landed.
    anantksundaramFileMakerFeller
  • Reply 25 of 31
    This is a perfectly predictable -- and reasonable -- outcome.

In fact, it's one that many (intendedly) snarky/sarcastic posts on the topic of the "App Store's 30% tax" would often recommend to those who wanted to bypass it!
  • Reply 26 of 31
    Appleish said:
    Nnnnnnnnnope. Not this. Not Tesla. And stop spending my tax money on Space X, please.

Bankrupt Musk.
    This takes the cake for the top "I'll Cut Off My Nose to Spite My Face" post of 2022!  :D
    williamlondon
  • Reply 27 of 31

cropr said:
    tomowa said:

A more relevant question is: Does Tesla allow other chargers than the Tesla superchargers?.  And the answer is YES, so stop whining

They're currently doing precisely that in Europe, essentially running an experiment, and depending on what the results there are, may roll it out in the US as well. The main issue is the additional waiting time it could impose on Tesla owners.

Does Apple have a server space or bandwidth problem -- causing delays or disruptions for other users -- that you know of, and we don't?
    williamlondon
  • Reply 28 of 31
    It's so sad to see so many of the Apple Faithful sounding like uninformed Androiders...

What a remarkable change in tone in the 16 years I've been here! Wow.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 29 of 31
    larryjwlarryjw Posts: 1,031member
    Isn’t how it’s supposed to work?

if Apple charges 30% to support your app, you price your app to account for the charge. 

Perfectly reasonable to me.  You still have to appeal to your customer. It’s a balance ever business must make,
    tht
  • Reply 30 of 31
    danoxdanox Posts: 2,853member
    tht said:
    tomowa said:
    I’m not sure but I think they charge a one time fee to unlock features but I don’t think it is an ongoing subscription.
    These are the current aftermarket software unlocks Tesla is offering for my Model 3.

$2000 Acceleration Boost
    $6000 Enhanced Autopilot
    $15000 Full Self Driving

Tesla's on-screen software platform is obviously Tesla only with contracts for games and services. I'm not sure if, say, they are getting a cut from Spotify subscriptions. They might be. It's not a free for all App Store. You get what you get from Tesla. I don't know what their cancellation policy is.

The software unlocks are at a per-owner level too I think, but perhaps that has changed. The software locks are linked to the account holders, not the car. So if you sell the car to someone else, they may not get the software unlocks and they would have to buy them. Not sure where that landed.
    If you sell your model 3 on, does the new owner get to keep/use those features too?
  • Reply 31 of 31
    thttht Posts: 5,444member
    danox said:
    tht said:
    tomowa said:

$2000 Acceleration Boost
    $6000 Enhanced Autopilot
    $15000 Full Self Driving

If you sell your model 3 on, does the new owner get to keep/use those features too?
    No. The software unlock is per model per account AFAIK.

I buy the acceleration boost for $2k for my Model 3. Enjoy it for a few months. I then sell the car to someone else. That new owner will not have acceleration boost. Same policy with FSD.

If you trade in you car to Tesla or a dealer, the software unlocks will most certainly be erased, and new owners will have to by the software unlocks for that vehicle. It's per account per vehicle.
    muthuk_vanalingam