iPhone 15 may have USB-C, but iPhone 17 will have to have it

Posted:
in iPhone edited December 2022
The rumor mill expects Apple to adopt USB-C in the iPhone 15 due to EU regulations, but Apple doesn't technically have to comply until December 28, 2024.

USB-C is expected in iPhone 15
USB-C is expected in iPhone 15

The EU passed its USB-C harmonization law on October 4, 2022. It requires devices like phones, tablets, and several accessories to adopt USB-C as a universal standard.

A document has been submitted that clarifies the timeline requirements for adopting this law in EU member states. The deadline for implementing changes to local laws for compliance is December 28, 2023, but member states do not have to enforce the laws until December 28, 2024.

The law only applies to products released after the enforcement date, so Apple could continue to release products with Lightning ports until December 28, 2024. Since Apple tends to release iPhones in September, that means the company could introduce the iPhone 15 and iPhone 16 with Lightning.

This law applies to accessories like mice, headphones, and more as well. So, Apple has many products that will likely shift to USB-C in the coming years.

Despite Apple not being required to do so, the company has already seemingly begun the shift. The Siri Remote in the 2022 Apple TV 4K is among the first accessories to switch from Lightning to USB-C.

Apple has already shifted its entire iPad lineup to USB-C, and the MacBook lineup moved to the standard starting in 2015. Curiously, the AirPods 3 and AirPods Pro 2 released in the last year still use Lightning, but those designs may have been finalized well before Apple intended to shift to USB-C.

Speculation and rumors indicate Apple will shift the iPhone 15, coming in 2023, to USB-C. While it isn't a requirement yet, Apple may want to avoid any oddities with the upcoming laws.

Also, products like the iPhone take years to plan out. This regulation has been threatened for years now, and Apple may have been planning a shift to USB-C for some time.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    Not mentioned: After December 28, 2024, manufacturers have 40 months to make their laptops comply with the law.

I don't think the iPhone will get USB-C. Apple has two years to improve wireless charging then they can ditch the external connector altogether.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 12
    croprcropr Posts: 1,122member
    A portless iPhone is not an option.   Any iOS app developer needs a physical port to debug/test his developed iOS app.   So there will be an iPhone woth an USB-C port
    edited December 2022 dewmepulseimages
  • Reply 3 of 12
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    cropr said:
    A portless iPhone is not an option.   Any iOS app developer needs a physical port to debug/test his developed iOS app.   So there will be an iPhone woth an USB-C port
    Really, who says? You can buy an Apple TV without any port today except for the HDMI out. How do developers test their apps on that model? What about virtualization? Don't iOS developers already develop on Macs now? What’s the difference between a WiFi data connection and a physical data connection.
    edited December 2022 FileMakerFellercaladanian
  • Reply 4 of 12
    M68000M68000 Posts: 719member
    lkrupp said:
    cropr said:
    Really, who says? You can buy an Apple TV without any port today except for the HDMI out. How do developers test their apps on that model? What about virtualization? Don't iOS developers already develop on Macs now? What’s the difference between a WiFi data connection and a physical data connection.
    Do you really want a port free iPhone?   I think it allows for diagnostic mode for those who can do such a thing.  As for water resistance,  the phones already do good with that.  Appearance?  Does anybody really stare at the bottom of their phone or really care there is a port there?  Obviously having a port allows option for charging or transferring data.  

Apple is losing another physical thing that makes an iPhone an iPhone by doing away with lightning,  but it looks like there is no choice in some markets,  so it is what it is.  Perhaps, there will be much improved speed going to usb-c also.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 12
    M68000 said:
    lkrupp said:
    cropr said:
    Do you really want a port free iPhone?   I think it allows for diagnostic mode for those who can do such a thing.  As for water resistance,  the phones already do good with that.  Appearance?  Does anybody really stare at the bottom of their phone or really care there is a port there?  Obviously having a port allows option for charging or transferring data.  

Apple is losing another physical thing that makes an iPhone an iPhone by doing away with lightning,  but it looks like there is no choice in some markets,  so it is what it is.  Perhaps, there will be much improved speed going to usb-c also.
    Actually I would very much want a portless iPhone.
    caladanian
  • Reply 6 of 12
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,299member
    People who photoshop mock ups for you should work on scale. 
    Hint USB-c larger than lightening image shows it way smaller. 

If only Apple had a flat magnetic connector that could output to USB-c. Might need 5 dots not 3 or 3 but one optical. 
    That would be smart and neat and let them drop the internalised port. 

Smart still get intel on board then use their combined influence to make it USB-o
    edited December 2022 watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 12
    M68000M68000 Posts: 719member
    longfang said:
    M68000 said:
    lkrupp said:
    cropr said:

Actually I would very much want a portless iPhone.
    Okay,  I give up,  why do you want a portless phone?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 12
    JFC_PAJFC_PA Posts: 932member
    I travel and rely on battery backs away from outlets. Halving the available power through that magnetic induction loss would be a huge inconvenience. It’d double the weight I’d have to carry for the same power. 
    uraharawatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 12
    Most certainly lol.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 12
    Once enforceable.. Apple should dig up an iPhone model 3 or 4 series behind the current model and make it usb-c to comply.. Then let the EU public force a change to the law as the EU model is so out of date compared to everywhere else in the world
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 12
    fred1fred1 Posts: 1,112member
    Personally, I’m glad. I’ll be happy to only need a USB-C charger. I don’t want only wireless charging - too slow. Of course Apple will lose out because they’ve been getting royalties from anyone who makes a Lightning charger. 
    As for those who say that it doesn’t make sense to require one type of port because it’ll be outdated some day, what about the possibility of improving on the technology while keeping the USB-C interface?
  • Reply 12 of 12
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,905member
    If Apple ever moving to USB-C on iPhone, sooner the better. What's point of keep dragging feet when someday iPhone will move to USB-C. Unless portless iPhone is coming sooner by 2024.