Panther and the PPC970

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
If I understand things correctly the Mac OS will have to have some sort of update for it to run on the PPC970, correct. If so either 10.2.5 is 970 ready, or we are not going to see new PowerMacs untill after september when panther comes out. So what do you guys think, is there a possibility that 10.2.5 has been updated to work with the PPC970? Or is apple going to wait and release another update later. It just seems like something Steve would do, update the OS to work with the new CPU and not tell anybody. LOL

Either way we will have to have some sort of update for the 970 to work...why not 10.2.5?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 31
    hasapihasapi Posts: 290member
    Apple has in the past released a new product with an OS update, even though the packaged version is not available immediately and sometimes several weeks.

This is due to localisation for the packaged software. There are facts that point to a June release of the 970 in the PowerMacs and possibly PowerBooks.

The fact that SJ will keynote and Apple has announced 10.3, its most likely that the 970 support is in 10.3 and NOT 10.2.5 - which has consistent OS updates.

Remember, why would you require 970 support in 10.2.5 when you do not have a 970 in your computer? 8)
  • Reply 2 of 31
    It is true what hasapi has said. If Apple were to release the 970 before Pantehr is ready it may jus tbe a higher build number than 6L29. They may have 10.2.6 as the OS that would run on these new machines, but probably Panther is going to be the mean OS that is running on these machines when they come out, but you never know.
  • Reply 3 of 31
    I doubt that 10.2.5 has 64-bit code.

If Apple is to optimizing 10.3 for the 970 with 64-bit code, which I would consider a sure thing, I would consider it safe to guess that we will see the releases of them go hand in hand. Not only will they want to blow people away with the raw power of the 970, but they'll also want everyone to see how well the new version of OS X runs on it with the 64-bit code. Apple will want people to see how 64-bits will make a difference, using it as a selling point (as if they needed one with all the hype so far), and you'll see the difference if the OS has that 64-bit code. It'll be a significantly lesser blow if the 970 comes first and the OS makes no use of the 64-bits, aka if we're still at 10.2.5 or 10.2.6 (adding 64-bit code sounds like way too much for a double point release). True, the 32-bit performance of the 970 is outstanding, no doubt about it, but the 64-bits will be marketed as a breakthough, and they'll want the OS to affirm that.
  • Reply 4 of 31
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    What about a 970 tower running 10.26 and then FREE upgrade to 10.3 to those 970 tower owners?
  • Reply 5 of 31
    Quote:

What about a 970 tower running 10.26 and then FREE upgrade to 10.3 to those 970 tower owners?

Like I said, I don't think a double point release (10.2.6) will contain loads of new 64-bit code, and putting out a 970 without an OS to take advantage of the 64-bits of the processor would be as impressive as a TKO by the underdog. A 970 with a 64-bit Panther would be a thirty second knock-out punch. I would rather to see the knockout. Just my opinion.

Sure it's possible to have the 970 first, but that's just not as much fun.
  • Reply 6 of 31
    bigcbigc Posts: 1,224member
    Who knows for sure? 10.2 may have 64-bit code hidden in it somewhere and the 82MB of updates from 10.2 to 10.2.5 are partly bug fixes and partly additions to the 64-bit code path. But again, who actually knows what's in the OS code?¿?¿
  • Reply 7 of 31
    Quote:

Who knows for sure? 10.2 may have 64-bit code hidden in it somewhere and the 82MB of updates from 10.2 to 10.2.5 are partly bug fixes and partly additions to the 64-bit code path. But again, who actually knows what's in the OS code?¿?¿

I don't know for sure either way. But I hope that they haven't been putting the time and effort this past year adding 64-bit code when they should have been optimizing the current 32-bit code and eliminating bugs and improving performance and closing security holes, especially when it would just sitting there going unused with the G4. It would be useless code for a long time, so it seems more logical to just save it for implementation into Panther for when the code will be put to use, rather than spending the time and energy cramming it into each double point release so we can all waste our time downloading it to bloat our system with. 64-bit code is a major thing. Double point releases don't get major things.
  • Reply 8 of 31
    algolalgol Posts: 833member
    Thats right no one knows for sure. What if the 970 is ready before Panther? Surely Apple would not hold up the 970? I would just release a point upgrade that will allow the 970 to work and go ahead and release the new Powermacs... After all it would look good on apples part to say that their OS was 64bit all along. lol
  • Reply 9 of 31
    snoopysnoopy Posts: 1,901member
    Do we know for sure that Panther will not ship until September as someone stated? If Apple is further along with the new PowerMacs, why couldn't they be close to releasing Panther too? Or here is yet another scenario. Why couldn't Apple ship a pre-release version of Panther on early PowerMacs, and ship the final OS product when it is ready? For those who want the first PowerMacs, they would have to put up with something short of the final version of Panther.
  • Reply 10 of 31
    zapchudzapchud Posts: 844member
    Nice! Another 970 thread

Apple doesn't need to add loads of 64-bit code to their OS to make it work on a 970. All that's needed is "minimal" modifications to the kernel (and/or other low-level code), to make the 970 work. And it doens't need to be optimized, refined and tweaked alot to allow the 970 to perform like we we've heard so much about.

Apple can very well update their OS to allow it to run on the 970, with a double-point release. A full 64-bit OS, is probably something that'll need a major upgrade, but they do not need that to release the 970. If the new, fast, saviour processor arrives long enough before 64-bit OS X, Apple will not want to have to wait for a big release of the software, when they so anxiously want to show us that macs have reclaimed the speed throne (or whatever they'll market the intro of the 970 as).

I believe that if the 970 is out early enough, the first boxes will ship with 10.2.x.
  • Reply 11 of 31
    kecksykecksy Posts: 1,002member
    I think it's safer to wait for the final release Panther before releasing PowerMacs than to release PowerMacs prematurely. If Apple launches the PPC970 with shady OS support, it could turn into a PR disaster. Panther will be out in September, so Apple might as well wait. Better safe than sorry.
  • Reply 12 of 31
    defjefdefjef Posts: 62member
    I imagine that Apple would announce the 970 when the timing is right whether Panther is ready or not, but I also think that Apple wouldn't ship the 970 until it can ship with Panther.

I think it would make sense if 10.3 ships in August/September and the 970 is announced at Macworld but doesn't ship until it can go with 10.3. Imagine how it coud be announced at Macworld. All the hype about 10.3 (built partially by what's confirmed at WWDC) and then the announcement about the 970 and then on top of that that the 970 will ship at the same time as 10.3. It just seems like a very Apple thing to do. They'd make the most of the spotlight put on them, to simultaineusly show off their new chip to those most interested in the operating system and show off the new operating system to those most interested in the 970.
  • Reply 13 of 31
    Quote:

All that's needed is "minimal" modifications to the kernel (and/or other low-level code), to make the 970 work. And it doens't need to be optimized, refined and tweaked alot to allow the 970 to perform like we we've heard so much about.

Right -- only minimal changes would be required to get OS X working in 32-bit mode. And those are probably related more to the chipset than the CPU.

But -- full 64-bit support could be quite a bit more work, depending on how 64-bit clean Apple's APIs are. I'm purely speculating, but I could imagine Carbon having big issues.

Ideally, Apple would ship a native 64-bit OS with a 64-bit filesystem and a 64-bit Finder. Worst case is that its 90% 32-bit, with just enough 64-bit stuff for benchmarketing (think the early days of PowerPC).
  • Reply 14 of 31
    hasapihasapi Posts: 290member
    Let me guess, Apple moves WWDC to Moscone and by a month, with THE title "Panther will be revealed" and all it is is the next version of OS X, Yawn.

Im thinking its likely to have 64bit support for the 970 and strongly marketed by Apple the fact.

The machines can still ship with 10.3 preloaded, as they have done in the past (of course at Apple's now legendary delivery times - you can get a 970 Pmac in about 6 weeks from announcement).

If not wake me up when the 970 PM is announced. 8)
  • Reply 15 of 31
    lfroglfrog Posts: 16member
    In the past, when WWDC centered around an OS release, didn't the attending developers get a copy of the OS (in some state)? If WWDC focuses on 10.3, and the developers actually get a copy (to begin testing their apps and making mods), and 10.3 is suppose to run on the 970, wouldn't the developers need to be able to get access to a machine with a 970 in order to test with? Without a 970, the developers would only be able to test on the current G3 and G4 machines.
  • Reply 16 of 31
    Quote:

Originally posted by Zapchud

Apple can very well update their OS to allow it to run on the 970, with a double-point release. A full 64-bit OS, is probably something that'll need a major upgrade, but they do not need that to release the 970.

Absolutely. Keep in mind that they will have been running some QA prototype systems for several months before full production begins on the PPC970. This would be tough to do should they have to wait for a full upgrade of the OS.
  • Reply 17 of 31
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    IMO, having a brand new OS running on a brand new hardware is a dangerous idea

Remember 10.0, 10.1, 10.2? When they were all at the .0.0.0 states there were tons of bugs

Also, brand new hardware also has bugs (remember the rev A B/W G3 and rev A Sawtooth?)

Buggy OS + buggy hardware = Biggest PR nightmere ever

Not a good idea

Safter bet is having an exisiting OS running on brand new hardware. I would rather running an older, "bug proof" OS on a new hardware than everything new. No matter how fast the hardware is if the OS keeps crashing that's counter-productive.
  • Reply 18 of 31
    defjefdefjef Posts: 62member
    I think Apple would release both a 32bit version of 10.3 and a 64bit version. It wouldn't have to be in a seperate package.. the user wouldn't even have to know what chip was in their computer. They can package an OS installer that can figure all of that out and install the necessary components depending on whether the chip is 32 or 64. They wouldn't want to anger everyone using G4s and G3s by basically closing the coffin on anything other that 970s. Its not at all logical to think that they would do something like not supporting the G3 and G4 with new operating systems just because they release a new chip. Whatever developers get at WWDC will run on 32bits but it will probably leave all sorts of clues pointing to the move to 64.

Apple should release a new OS with the 970 because the 970 will need a new OS to take full advantage of it. Its a risk they're going to have to take but it's not as if they're starting from scratch as they were with 10.0. I trust Apple will get it right and be certain that the next big thing in computers is as flawless as possible.
  • Reply 19 of 31
    zosozoso Posts: 177member
    Quote:

Originally posted by IntlHarvester

Right -- only minimal changes would be required to get OS X working in 32-bit mode. And those are probably related more to the chipset than the CPU.

But -- full 64-bit support could be quite a bit more work, depending on how 64-bit clean Apple's APIs are. I'm purely speculating, but I could imagine Carbon having big issues.

Ideally, Apple would ship a native 64-bit OS with a 64-bit filesystem and a 64-bit Finder. Worst case is that its 90% 32-bit, with just enough 64-bit stuff for benchmarketing (think the early days of PowerPC).

If Apple has been adding 64-bit PowerPC support to OS X in these past months, shouldn't we be able to tell by looking at Darwin headers/implementation files/whatever?

I think they've probably been adding 64-bit support to Jaguar--after all they needed an OS to test these machines with, right?--but they kept everything in-house, so as not to spoil the surprise. Personally I wouldn't care if the 970 and Panther were two announcements distant from each other, since I don't think there'd be any performance penalty running Jaguar on the 970--but sure, announcing the two things together would make for a nice PR coup(sp?)!

970 and new mobo support, plus a 64-bit clean Darwin/BSD core wouldn't justify a new point release, IMO, a double-digit would do. Add to that a new FS and a 64-bit clean Cocoa... that'd be quite a Panther!

BTW, I hope Apple is going to encourage developers in the coming years to switch to Cocoa from Carbon by keeping the latter 32-bit while giving Cocoa apps full 64-bit support.

ZoSo
  • Reply 20 of 31
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:

If I understand things correctly the Mac OS will have to have some sort of update for it to run on the PPC970, correct.

Most likely, yes.

Quote:

If so either 10.2.5 is 970 ready,

Why would they put 970 support in a point release that is at least two and a half months away from the first 970?

(What, you're saying the 970 will be out before June? )

Quote:

or we are not going to see new PowerMacs untill after september when panther comes out.

I have yet to read a press release from Apple stating that Panther is due out in September. It might as well be due out in July or August. Or December. Or February, next year.

Quote:

So what do you guys think, is there a possibility that 10.2.5 has been updated to work with the PPC970?

Yes, there is. But judging from the rather minor changes in core system component files, I doubt it.

Quote:

Either way we will have to have some sort of update for the 970 to work...why not 10.2.5?

Might as well have been 10.2.3 already.