Epic Games pays $520M to settle child privacy violations

Posted:
in General Discussion edited December 2022
Epic Games will be paying a record-setting $520 million to settle a pair of FTC allegations concerning child privacy violations and tricking players of "Fortnite" into making purchases.

Epic Games' marketing for its App Store lawsuit
Epic Games' marketing for its App Store lawsuit

The total of $520 million in settlements will put to an end two civil complaints from the Federal Trade Commission. The complaints centered around the privacy of younger "Fortnite" players, as well as how Epic gets users to pay for in-game goods.

A record $275 million civil penalty will be paid out over alleged Children's Online Privacy Protection Act (COPPA) violations, under claims Epic collected the personal information of players under the age of 13, without notifying parents or securing consent, reports the Wall Street Journal.

Furthermore, the lawsuit alleges Epic illegally enabled real-time voice and text chat between the under-13s and others in the game by default. By connecting them with strangers, the FTC says some were "bullied, threatened, harassed and exposed to dangerous and psychologically traumatizing issues such as suicide."

The settlement will be the largest assessed by the FTC in the enforcement of COPPA. In settling, Epic didn't admit nor deny any of the FTC's allegations about the federal privacy law violations.

Dark patterns

The other settlement has Epic agreeing to pay $245 million in consumer refunds over its attempts to sell in-game items and perks, specifically in using so-called dark patterns. These are characterized as attempts to trap customers by making it hard to cancel paid services, among other techniques.

The settlement is also a record-setter, with it being the highest the FTC has achieved over dark pattern usage.

The FTC alleged Epic drive the unintended purchases of outfits and dance moves, partly by the use of inconsistent and difficult to understand button configurations. "These tactics led to hundreds of millions of dollars in unauthorized charges for consumers," said the FTC.

There were also claims Epic made it difficult to find cancellation and refund features, while also locking the accounts of customers who disputed charges through credit card companies. Epic also warned users they could be banned for life if future charges were disputed.

The FTC is setting up a website where customers who feel they were unfairly charged could request refunds. However, the FTC warns it could take months for the claims to process.

Along with the settlements, Epic also has to make changes to "Fortnite" to protect users, and to start a privacy program to deal with problems alleged in the FTC complaints. Regular independent audits are also required.

The FTC settlements are far from the only legal activity Epic Games is involved in. Its major lawsuit against Apple over the App Store is still rolling through the appeals process.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    red oakred oak Posts: 1,088member
    Disgusting behavior 

And they want to run their own app store on Apple devices.  How does this not feed into that 
    radarthekatFidonet127williamlondonFileMakerFellerkillroyravnorodomwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 2 of 18
    badmonkbadmonk Posts: 1,293member
    Welcome to the upcoming alternate App Store wild west Europeans.
    radarthekatFidonet127genovellestompykillroywatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 3 of 18
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Well, well, well, at least now we know why that scumbag Tim Sweeney wanted to bypass Apple’s payment system so bad. And he wants to run his own app store too? I wonder why. I would think this gives Apple the smoking gun to permanently ban Epic Games from the App Store too.
    edited December 2022 radarthekatred oakFileMakerFellerdewmekillroyravnorodommacxpressSylashammeroftruthwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 18
    I would see this more in the context of Tencent, practically owning Epic. Apart from owning WeChat, Tencent is the world’s biggest owner of gaming studios. They basically own gaming on a global level. And with such ethics, this looks very “promising” regarding manipulation and exploitation of our younger generation. They fact that Sweeney apparently is not opposing at all to this, in my eyes speaks volumes about the guy’s character and values.
    DAalsethdewmekillroywatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 18
    it should be at least a billion dollars.  
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 18
    genovellegenovelle Posts: 1,480member
    I would see this more in the context of Tencent, practically owning Epic. Apart from owning WeChat, Tencent is the world’s biggest owner of gaming studios. They basically own gaming on a global level. And with such ethics, this looks very “promising” regarding manipulation and exploitation of our younger generation. They fact that Sweeney apparently is not opposing at all to this, in my eyes speaks volumes about the guy’s character and values.
    Sweeney is not the innocent bystander here. He is the ringleader. He owns 52% of the company and get the bulk of the profits. His greed is driving all of this. 
    dewmewilliamlondondanoxkillroyravnorodomwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 7 of 18
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,727member
    badmonk said:
    Welcome to the upcoming alternate App Store wild west Europeans.
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions.
    Fidonet127killroyhammeroftruthwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 18
    Now I understand why don't want to pay App Store fees.. They need money to pay the penalty 😄
    killroyhammeroftruthwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 18
    The other settlement has Epic agreeing to pay $245 million in consumer refunds over its attempts to sell in-game items and perks, specifically in using so-called dark patterns. These are characterized as attempts to trap customers by making it hard to cancel paid services, among other techniques. 
    So the FTC will be levelling the same charges against the telecom companies, right? Right??
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 18
    Epic is shady. No wonder they want their own App Store.
    ravnorodomkillroywatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 18
    So you are saying the minority stakeholder (Tencent) is the one influencing the majority stakeholder (Sweeney) and doing all this? Sure shows how unbiased you are, NOT!!!!
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 12 of 18
    Wow. This is just wow. What a scammer! And they have the balls to go after Apple. Sickening business practice. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 18
    Selling children's data and tricking them into buying crap.  Stealing from children.  Lovely man, that Sweeney.  
    lkruppwatto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 18
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    joguide said:
    Selling children's data and tricking them into buying crap.  Stealing from children.  Lovely man, that Sweeney.  
    Of course Sweeney is going to pay the fine but admit nothing, claiming the company is innocent. That’s what douchebags do.
    edited December 2022 watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 18
    MadbumMadbum Posts: 536member
    Lol , Chinese communist owned Epic Games 

let’s see who defends this one….
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 18
    Payback’s a bitch. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 18
    sbdudesbdude Posts: 259member
    longfang said:
    So you are saying the minority stakeholder (Tencent) is the one influencing the majority stakeholder (Sweeney) and doing all this? Sure shows how unbiased you are, NOT!!!!
    Apparently you've never heard of the concept of an activist investor. Even with a "minority" 48 percent, they could tank the stock if they wanted to. Plenty of "minority" shareholders have forced votes on larger corporations with fractions of what tencent owns.
    watto_cobra