Kuo casts doubt on fourth-gen iPhone SE 2024 release date

Posted:
in iPhone
Apple is allegedly considering its options regarding its budget-friendly iPhone SE 4, with Ming-Chi Kuo anticipating that the tech giant will, at least, postpone mass production of the device.

iPhone SE
iPhone SE

On Tuesday, Apple Analyst Ming-Chi Kuo took to Twitter to discuss Apple's plans for the iPhone SE 4.

He noted that his latest survey showed signs that Apple is reconsidering the next iPhone SE. He believes that it is possible that Apple will either cancel or delay its current plans for a 2024 release date.

(1/5)
My latest survey indicates that Apple will likely cancel or postpone the mass production plan for the 2024 iPhone SE 4. I think this is due to the consistently lower-than-expected shipments of mid-to-low-end iPhones (e.g., SE 3, 13 mini, and 14 Plus),

-- (Ming-Chi Kuo) (@mingchikuo)

Previous rumors have suggested that the next iteration of the iPhone SE could look like an iPhone XR with a 6.1-inch LCD display, complete with notch.

However, another rumor suggests that Apple was not fully sold on the idea and had not nailed down the exact design by late October.

Apple has had a more difficult time moving lower-end models of the iPhone in recent months, forcing the company to cut back iPhone 14 and iPhone 14 Plus orders.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    It all depends on sales. It doesn’t matter how many critics on tech blogs think cheaper iPhones are the key to success if they don’t sell. When it comes to iPhones the public wants the mid-to-high end it would appear.
    FileMakerFellerwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 11
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,286member
    Keep in mind that even a slow seller for Apple moves tens of millions of units.
    There is a market for the SE and price is only one factor. Comparing on price alone or to a 13 Mini or 14 Plus is just wrong. The SE offers an incredible overall value for those that do not need to have bleeding edge technology.

My parents are on their second generation of SEs and it is he ideal model for their needs.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 11
    badmonkbadmonk Posts: 1,295member
    unless it makes more sense for Apple to produce discounted older models instead…that way proven design & established production.  I suspect Kuo is right on this point.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 11
    M68000M68000 Posts: 727member
    Could the so called delay in a new model be because of going to usb-c ?     As much as I liked the lightning connector,  I’m ready for Apple to go full usb-c….   So much so,  I think I will wait for iPhone that has it and hold onto 13 mini which has been great.   The big question is will the phones for next September go usb-c ?
    starof80Fidonet127twokatmewFileMakerFeller
  • Reply 5 of 11
    I would have thought the SE was an important "gateway drug" model for Apple, especially in emerging markets--sure, it's not nearly as profitable as an iPhone pro, but it gets people into the Apple ecosystem, where they're likely to stay once introduced. It was also an interesting way for Apple to repackage iPhone tech from a generation or two back as a "new" phone, so budget customers didn't feel like they were buying an outdated model. Time will tell, and I'm sure Apple's decision, whatever it is, will be driven by their consumer data. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 11
    M68000M68000 Posts: 727member
    charlesn said:
    I would have thought the SE was an important "gateway drug" model for Apple, especially in emerging markets--sure, it's not nearly as profitable as an iPhone pro, but it gets people into the Apple ecosystem, where they're likely to stay once introduced. It was also an interesting way for Apple to repackage iPhone tech from a generation or two back as a "new" phone, so budget customers didn't feel like they were buying an outdated model. Time will tell, and I'm sure Apple's decision, whatever it is, will be driven by their consumer data. 
    The cheaper iPhone is important to many corporate buyers,  absolutely a place for it as well as price sensitive consumers or consumers who just want cheapest phone even if they can afford the most expensive one.
    nubustwokatmewwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 11
    badmonk said:
    unless it makes more sense for Apple to produce discounted older models instead…that way proven design & established production.  I suspect Kuo is right on this point.

That does nothing to reduce the cost of the older model and would just reduce margin.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 11
    M68000 said:
    charlesn said:
    The cheaper iPhone is important to many corporate buyers,  absolutely a place for it as well as price sensitive consumers or consumers who just want cheapest phone even if they can afford the most expensive one.

In addition, with the demise of the iPod Touch, an SE with no cell activation is often used in work environments like stores, restaurants and warehouses.
    twokatmewFileMakerFellerwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 11
    They should make it somehow like the iPhone 12/13 mini. I think it’s a great phone! But best would of course be if they continued the 5S form factor. A friend of mine still has theirs and I’m always amazed of how small it is. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 11
    They should make it somehow like the iPhone 12/13 mini. I think it’s a great phone! But best would of course be if they continued the 5S form factor. A friend of mine still has theirs and I’m always amazed of how small it is. 
    Not to mention it can be placed on an edge and remain upright without needing an additional piece of kit. I remain a fan.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 11
    Coming from the 1st gen SE to the 12 Mini, when it’s time to replace the Mini I would like to go back to the SE.