AirTags catch United Airlines in lie about missing luggage

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 27
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,898moderator
    Behind an apartment block, by the dumpster would indicate to me that the bag was stolen...
    That bit of info certainly did throw us, and the bag’s owner, off a bit.  An odd coincidence.  
  • Reply 22 of 27
    Am I the only one who finds it peculiar that there is no mention of a city or airport?  Hmmm?
  • Reply 23 of 27
    omasou said:
    omasou said:
    At no time was she smart enough to inform the police so that they could apprehend the United baggage handler who is stealing luggage?

Instead she posts to Twitter to guaranteeing the perp will not be identified.
    Generally speaking there has to be evidence of a crime for the police to do anything. United said they were in possession of the bag and would get it delivered. Guess what ultimately happened? They got her bag to her. It was in the a currier truck not an apartment. I guess we can spin this question around on you? At no point were you smart enough to find what was actually happening and instead just posted criticism in a public place? Sounds like she and you have something in common. 
    No where in the article did it say that she received her bag. When I posted she had not posted on twitter about the outcome.

Perhaps you should should be smart enough to check before posting and attempting to criticize and shame folks in a public place.
    I am going to guess you don’t see the irony in your post.

• Reply 24 of 27
    ChadB said:
    Pro tip for Apple Insider writers. Don't jump all over some random tweet because it mentions Apple. Or if you are going to write an article based on some random person tweeting actually follow the thread rather than introduce your own conjecture. 

1. The bag wasn't at a dumpster. 

2. The pictures were pictures she took, not something that she found on Google maps. 

3. She has the bag back, a United currier had it and got it to her.... So United was actually right. 

There is literally no story here. 

You're incorrect on all counts. Read the latest updates:
    Thread by @vszyb on Thread Reader App – Thread Reader App
    No, they are correct. Read the Twitter thread. Her bag was never seen by a dumpster. Her bag was with the courier United contracts to return lost bags. It appears it was riding about with the courier.  Ultimately, a non-story gets blown out of proportion by modern communications and the hyperactive 24/7 news.
    dewme
  • Reply 25 of 27
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,677member
    Reading through the Twitter thread and comments there and here reminds me of why so very many people should never be given access to the nuclear launch codes, or even uncontrolled access to a keyboard or smartphone. The consequences of losing your lucky skivvies and beloved Flintstones Dino toothbrush in a checked bag are far less than publicly embarrassing yourself on such a grand scale by launching a preemptive strike against a public entity which ultimately turns out to be a "never mind" situation.

Yeah, let's just ignore the smoldering ruins, pretend it never happened, or better yet, I will continue to slather confirmation bias fueled rationale in follow-up posts to convince myself that my douchebaggery was fully justified in my overreaction and preemptive strike - all while trolling for Apple to throw some cheddar my way for having highlighted their product in my "performance."

Airline employees are dealing with hundreds (or thousands in the case of Southwest Airlines) of people on a daily basis, all of whom have equally urgent "needs" and expect a National Guard or Pentagon level reaction to their individual situation. Time to put Operation Baggage Freedom into action. The reality is that the airlines are relying on underlying systems that obviously can't handle the load that's been placed on them during the post-pandemic surge and especially while in a seriously understaffed state. They are struggling more than ever and this should come as no surprise. 

All you can do is to protect yourself as best you can from the possibility that your checked bag or bags will be delayed, or worse, lost. AirTags are definitely worth their weight in gold when it comes to figuring out where your bags are if they are misplaced. But they're not perfect and have inherent limitations including time delays and imperfect localization. Packing all of your essentials like medications, toiletry items, phone charging kit including local adapters, and for me, at least one change of clothes (at minimum undergarments), etc., in your carry-on bags is also good practice. I always travel with a backpack (that fits underneath the seat in front of me) for my computer, iPad, chargers, reading material, etc., and put all of my essentials in it too. I've had checked bags delayed a few times, but no lost bags so far. I've also had bags arrive ahead of me so they don't show up on the carousel but are in a baggage corral or office. AirTags would have helped tremendously in all of these scenarios, assuming they work as advertised. The only concern I have about AirTags inside baggage would be if my final destination is a hyper-security-conscious destination like Israel. I suspect that security personnel in Israel would react differently to getting a stalking alert from an AirTag than would security personnel in other countries. Don't know for sure, but it would not surprise me at all to see my AirTag disappear or be confiscated in these scenarios.

muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 26 of 27
    MrBunside said:
    ChadB said:
    Pro tip for Apple Insider writers. Don't jump all over some random tweet because it mentions Apple. Or if you are going to write an article based on some random person tweeting actually follow the thread rather than introduce your own conjecture. 

1. The bag wasn't at a dumpster. 

2. The pictures were pictures she took, not something that she found on Google maps. 

3. She has the bag back, a United currier had it and got it to her.... So United was actually right. 

There is literally no story here. 

You're incorrect on all counts. Read the latest updates:
    Thread by @vszyb on Thread Reader App – Thread Reader App
    No, they are correct. Read the Twitter thread. Her bag was never seen by a dumpster. Her bag was with the courier United contracts to return lost bags. It appears it was riding about with the courier.  Ultimately, a non-story gets blown out of proportion by modern communications and the hyperactive 24/7 news.
    Actually, if you read the full article, as I did on CNN before reading this one, it becomes pretty obvious that what actually happened is that the courier, who was a third party contractor, or worked for one, and not a United employee, was stealing the luggage he was entrusted with.  The empty bags by the dumpster, with United tags on them, were a major clue.  The contractor, with no uniform and in a private vehicle, finally “appeared” with the bag only after the story had been picked up by local media and nearby residents, a fact the courier likely noticed.  Also, his story about where the bag had been did not match up with the AirTag evidence the woman had collected,

So maybe not exactly the fault of United, but they are ultimately responsible for the luggage until a passenger claims it.  And their customer service agents were clearly lying, so there’s that.

At any rate, chalk this up as a win for the AirTag, as it is highly unlikely that the customer would have retrieved her bag without it.

Just trying to set the record straight.
    ronnroundaboutnowomasou