Samsung introduces pair of Studio Display competitors at CES 2023

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2023
The Samsung ViewFinity S9 and Smart Monitor M8 are both new 27-inch monitors introduced at CES 2023 as competitors to Apple's Studio Display.

Samsung's two new Studio Display competitors
Samsung's two new Studio Display competitors

Samsung has introduced a handful of new monitors during CES 2023, with a few targeted directly at potential Studio Display customers. The 5K ViewFinity S9 and 4K Smart Monitor M8 are both 27-inch monitors with Apple-like design and functionality.

ViewFinity S9

The ViewFinity S9 is optimized for creative professionals like graphic designers and photographers. It has a 5,120 x 2,880 resolution and covers 99 percent of the P3 wide-color gamut putting it up against Apple's Studio Display.

It features a built-in Color Calibration Engine that can calibrate the display using the company's SmartThings app or a smartphone camera. The display is also matte to eliminate glare.

For inputs it offers HDIM, DisplayPort, and USB-C. It features Samsung's Smart TV platform with built-in streaming and productivity apps and comes with a 4K SlimFit camera.

It connects via Thunderbolt and supports downstream USB-C and Thunderbolt connections for fast data transfer.

It too will be available early next year. Pricing was not yet available.

27-inch Smart Monitor M8

The Smart Monitor M8 already existed as a 32-inch monitor, but Samsung has updated the lineup with a new 27-inch model. The new M80C has the same 4K resolution but has a higher pixel density since it is a smaller display.

The screen can be pivoted to 90 degrees for a portrait-oriented setup. It is also compatible with VESA mounts.

In addition to the existing Samsung Smart Hub functionality, the Smart Monitor M8 can act as a SmartThing Hub. It will soon be updated with Matter functionality which will bring it into the Home app for Homekit users to control outside of the existing AirPlay functionality.

The M80C also include a new personalization feature that adds photos, schedules, and weather to the ambient display mode called My Contents. A SmartThings hub is also included with the M80C making it easy to control SmartThings devices.

Finally, the SlimFit camera was upgraded to 2K resolution, up from 1080P, and works with apps in the Smart Hub as well as any of your Mac or PC apps.

Samsung also announced its new Odyssey Neo G9 57-inch curved gaming monitor.

AppleInsider will be covering the 2023 Consumer Electronics Show in person on January 2 through January 8 where we're expecting Wi-Fi 6e devices, HomeKit, Apple accessories, 8K monitors and more. Keep up with our coverage by downloading the AppleInsider app, and follow us on YouTube, Twitter @appleinsider and Facebook for live, late-breaking coverage. You can also check out our official Instagram account for exclusive photos throughout the event.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    I'm very interested in the S9. Unless I'm missing something, at 27 inches and 5K that should be a Retina DPI display.
    williamlondonlkrupp
  • Reply 2 of 12
    kpomkpom Posts: 660member
    Finally another 5K panel choice.
    williamlondonbaconstangwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 12
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    Can Samesung ever design anything without stealing Apple's design? 
    williamlondonlkruppwatto_cobradavgreg
  • Reply 4 of 12
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,064member
    Choices are good. But I'm not ever buying or owning anything from Samesung. Ever.
    williamlondonlkruppwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 12
    macxpress said:
    Yet Apple relies on Samsung for many of their displays.
    baconstangwilliamlondongrandact73
  • Reply 6 of 12
    zeus423zeus423 Posts: 240member
    I used to think Samsung made nice products, and we had many. We had a TV, which needed repair within a year (luckily under warranty). We had a washer and dryer. After 2 years, the dryer would run until you opened the door and at times started all by itself. It had to go. Then we had a great fridge, but it went bad last year after being only 8 years old. A fridge should last way longer than that. I've learned my lesson.
    danoxwilliamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 12
    macxpress said:
    False equivalence. Samsung is an official supplier for Apple. Apple is not an official designer for Samsung. Samsung keeps ripping off Apple's designs. 
    edited January 2023 danoxwilliamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 12
    eightzero said:
    Choices are good. But I'm not ever buying or owning anything from Samesung. Ever.
    To all Samsung haters here………I'm 100% in on Apple tech as I have been for over 3 decades. However, I have a best-in-class Samsung 85" 8k flat screen and a Samsung Bespoke oven that are amazing. I also have LG appliances (dishwasher and Washer/Dryer). Both of these company's (non-android) technologies would be hard to beat! As for these monitors, given Apple's reliance on Samsung iPhone displays, I'd give them serious consideration if I didn't already own a couple (LG based) Studio displays.
    williamlondongrandact73watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 12
    danoxdanox Posts: 2,853member
    macxpress said:
    Apple is the architect, engineer, designing to a higher specification, using materials that Samsung and LG have no choice, but to follow being under contract.

Samsung and LG are just the lowly builders working for Apple, and you can see that when they are left to their own devise trying to puzzle it out, they are almost always creating badly designed middle of the pack products using substandard cheap cost cutting materials paired with bad software integration.
    edited January 2023 watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 12
    danoxdanox Posts: 2,853member
    eightzero said:
    To all Samsung haters here………I'm 100% in on Apple tech as I have been for over 3 decades. However, I have a best-in-class Samsung 85" 8k flat screen and a Samsung Bespoke oven that are amazing. I also have LG appliances (dishwasher and Washer/Dryer). Both of these company's (non-android) technologies would be hard to beat! As for these monitors, given Apple's reliance on Samsung iPhone displays, I'd give them serious consideration if I didn't already own a couple (LG based) Studio displays.
    Samsung mandate is clear they have better design and engineer an effective first world in-house mobile OS that actually works, until they do they will be stuck in the second tier. 

But they are not alone HP and Dell are also in that same low bracket in the PC market, and now that Apple has disrupted Intel, they are also relegated to the lower tier in the chip market.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 12
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,166member
    I am very interested in the S9, a 27 inch 5K monitor with a reasonable range of ports.

Also at CES, Dell as released a 32 inch 6K Ultrasharp display. It sounds like a brighter version of its 27 and 32 inch 4K factory calibrated Ultrasharps with LG black technology, but a lot brighter. I have the 27 inch Ultrasharp, it is a quite nice screen and has an impressive port dock out the back, apparently repeated in the new 6K display. I expect it will be extremely price competitive with Apple’s XDR. 
    Downsides it is only 600 nits, nowhere near as bright as the XDR, and is in a really ugly case.

Also a big plus, it comes with a stand.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 12
    davgregdavgreg Posts: 1,037member
    macxpress said:
    That is like saying can Hyundai and Kia not stop copying others. It is what they do.