Next gen Apple Watch Ultra to get micro LED display

Posted:
in Apple Watch
Analysts now suggest that Apple's new Apple Watch Ultra could be the first with a micro LED display in a 2024 update.

Apple Watch Ultra
Apple Watch Ultra

Apple released the Apple Watch Ultra in September 2022, a high-end wearable geared toward athletes and extreme conditions.

Now, an analyst says that the premium wearable could get a notable update in 2024.

In a research note for Hong Kong investment firm Haitong International Securities seen by MacRumors, analyst Jeff Pu said the Apple Watch Ultra would gain a larger 2.1-inch micro LED display.

Using micro-LED, Apple Watch Ultra would have a brighter display than the current generation's OLED display.

China's wearable market shrank in the third quarter of 2022 overall, but the smartwatch market saw a 17% growth year-over-year. The Apple Watch Ultra drove sales in the premium segment, meaning devices that cost $700 and over.

AppleInsider will be covering the 2023 Consumer Electronics Show in person on January 2 through January 8, where we're expecting Wi-Fi 6e devices, HomeKit, Apple accessories, 8K monitors, and more. Keep up with our coverage by downloading the AppleInsider app, and follow us on YouTube, Twitter @appleinsider and Facebook for live, late-breaking coverage. You can also check out our official Instagram account for exclusive photos throughout the event.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    A larger 2.1-inch display? The Ultra is already huge. I got it Black Friday discount at Best Buy (same price as Amazon, but I could not trade in my series 6 at Amazon). This better have a lot more features….like figuring out putting in satellite messaging if it’s going to be bigger.
    edited January 2023 caladanianwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 2
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,168member
    I wonder if Apple will accept lower margins for a micro LED, larger screen watch, or substantially bump up the price?
    watto_cobra