New ADT+ app makes DIY security setup & management easy

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2023
Security brand ADT has announced a new platform for easy security management at CES 2023.

ADT is launching a new app
ADT is launching a new app

The new ADT+ app was shown off at the annual Consumer Electronic Show in Las Vegas this week that allows a streamlined self setup and management of personal and small business security systems.

"This is a pivotal moment for ADT. Through this new ecosystem, we're providing greater peace of mind for our consumers wherever they are," said ADT Chief Technology Officer Raya Sevilla. "Consumer expectations and definitions of safety have evolved to include connection, proactive prevention, mobile, vehicle and energy. So, we engineered the new ADT+ app with them in mind - leveraging extensive customer research to intimately understand their needs and expectations from a new home-automation system."

The ADT+ app allows easy access and control of the ADT base station, keypad, motion sensor, door and window sensors, smart bulbs, and smart locks. It is also compatible with Google Nest Cams and Nest Thermostats.

New products were also shown off at the show such as a water leak sensor and smoke detector that will be compatible later this year. ADT is teasing other new compatible products that will be announced later in 2023.

The new app will launch to the company's self-setup customers via the App Store. It will launch for professional customers later in 2023.

AppleInsider will be covering the 2023 Consumer Electronics Show in person on January 2 through January 8 where we're expecting Wi-Fi 6e devices, HomeKit, Apple accessories, 8K monitors and more. Keep up with our coverage by downloading the AppleInsider app, and follow us on YouTube, Twitter @appleinsider and Facebook for live, late-breaking coverage. You can also check out our official Instagram account for exclusive photos throughout the event.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,200member
    I wonder what companies did the actual development.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,376member
    I could never see myself going back to ADT. The yearly cost for their connected "Pulse" system was about 10X (yes, ten times!) what I'm now paying for Ring with professional monitoring, and that was without any cameras. I now have 7 cameras, most of them PoE based, all the same variety of door/window/motion sensors, plus freeze-leak sensors on every water based appliance including all sinks, dishwasher, hot water heater, and washing machine and a much easier-to-use app with better programmability for automated routines including voice control via numerous Echo devices. The Ring hub/base station has battery backup and cellular backup included while ADT charged me extra for cellular backup.

I came into ADT when they bought out Brinks, which always had good customer service and held the line on price increases. ADT was hitting me every year with substantial price increases even when inflation was not a factor. I also had continued billing issues with ADT because their billing department refused to charge me sales tax based on my actual ZIP code, but instead used the name of the city in a different county where the post office processed my mail as the sales tax reference. It's only a 1.5% difference, but over the course of the time I was with ADT it cost me about $400. 
  • Reply 3 of 8
    dewme said:
    I could never see myself going back to ADT. The yearly cost for their connected "Pulse" system was about 10X (yes, ten times!) what I'm now paying for Ring with professional monitoring, and that was without any cameras. I now have 7 cameras, most of them PoE based, all the same variety of door/window/motion sensors, plus freeze-leak sensors on every water based appliance including all sinks, dishwasher, hot water heater, and washing machine and a much easier-to-use app with better programmability for automated routines including voice control via numerous Echo devices. The Ring hub/base station has battery backup and cellular backup included while ADT charged me extra for cellular backup.

I came into ADT when they bought out Brinks, which always had good customer service and held the line on price increases. ADT was hitting me every year with substantial price increases even when inflation was not a factor. I also had continued billing issues with ADT because their billing department refused to charge me sales tax based on my actual ZIP code, but instead used the name of the city in a different county where the post office processed my mail as the sales tax reference. It's only a 1.5% difference, but over the course of the time I was with ADT it cost me about $400. 
    I have exactly the same experience with ADT. 
  • Reply 4 of 8
    DT36MT said:
    ADT support is dismal. It comes as no surprise that they are gradually shifting installations and probably the associated maintenance/technical support issues to the customer. If you try and reach their support, the only option you have is a phone call. If the person who happens to be helping you on the phone has no clue what the problem is, then good luck having your issue resolved. I recently looked up available BBB-accredited home security providers in my area on the BBB (Better Business Bureau) website and the only one who has significant customer ratings was ADT with average rating of one star (out of 5). And guess what, they are also the only one with customer complaints (in the thousands, including in the past 12 months). Now a tie-up with Google?
    After 12 years, we are finally ending our ADT service because of poor support.  Especially with the recent 3G to 4G cellular backup switchover.  First they send me a "cellular bridge" the size of a brick that is supposed to keep my cellular backup going.  After having it for 3 weeks, I find out it has never worked.  Couldn't get a straight answer on how I could get my gateway upgraded to 4G.  Instead they wanted to upsell me on a new contract with completely new equipment and paying four times my currently monthly cost.  Then there's the billing errors every time I renew my contract.  It takes about 4 months of billing before they finally get everything back on track.  Don't even ask about the long hold times on the phone.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    cpsro said:
    I wonder what companies did the actual development.

ADT and Google came together on this. I’ve seen the new ADT+ app, and it’s very similar to the Blue by ADT (a platform ADT made) and the new Google Home app. The hardware that’s coming will be developed by Google/Nest.

dewme said:

Blue by ADT, or whatever the brand will be moving forward, is the DIY Side of ADT. Currently 19.99, which includes monitoring and cell backup, and 6 dollars for unlimited storage on cameras (although I have no idea how the pricing will be with Google thrown into the mix).

I know 20 is the high end, which I think includes cameras, on Ring side of things. But it’s no longer 5X like it was when you adt ADT Pulse. 
  • Reply 6 of 8
    Last I checked ADT wanted me to sign a 2 or 3 year contract.  Wonder if they will still do that with the DIY Side of ADT.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    pkissel said:
    Last I checked ADT wanted me to sign a 2 or 3 year contract.  Wonder if they will still do that with the DIY Side of ADT.
    It depends if you are going to be buying the equipment out right or if you will lease. If you lease the equipment, there will be a 3 year agreement. But if you buy it out right, no contract needed.