Dell 32-inch 6K display takes on Apple's Pro Display XDR

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2023
The new Dell 32-inch 6K UltraSharp display is here to take on the Apple Pro Display XDR with some impressive specs at CES 2023.

Dell 6K UltraSharp
Dell 32-inch 6K UltraSharp

This new monitor matches up with Apple's Pro Display XDR (check prices) in terms of resolution and size though it lacks some of Apple's dedicated high-end features.

The Dell packs a 6144 x 3456 IPS panel, 1.07 billion colors and covers 99 percent of the P3 wide color gamut. It has a peak brightness of 600 nits.

Apple's Pro Display XDR has a peak brightness of 1,600 nits, hence the "extreme" HDR monicker.

It comes equipped with a height-adjustable stand that can rotate 90-degrees for vertical work like writing code or perusing PDFs.

The Dell UltraSharp has an HDMI 2.1 port, USB-C port, and a quartet of USB-A ports. A thunderbolt 4 port uses the latest USB PD spec to deliver up to 140W of power to supported laptops.

There's a built in webcam that mimics Center Stage by using on-device Ai to keep you in frame and a physical privacy shutter to cover the lens when not in use.

Additional it has dual 14W speakers and echo cancellation microphones.

Currently, Dell didn't have have pricing or availability information to share.

AppleInsider will be covering the 2023 Consumer Electronics Show in person on January 2 through January 8 where we're expecting Wi-Fi 6e devices, HomeKit, Apple accessories, 8K monitors and more. Keep up with our coverage by downloading the AppleInsider app, and follow us on YouTube, Twitter @appleinsider and Facebook for live, late-breaking coverage. You can also check out our official Instagram account for exclusive photos throughout the event.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    Wow is that thing ugly AF
    ilarynxJinTechdewmeaderutterwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 13
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,573member
    Does ugliness or beauty matter? The "Apple Magic Mouse 2" is perhaps more visually beautiful than any other mouse, but functionally it is a horrible mouse. The irony is that Apple practically introduced the mouse to the consumer, and now they still make what could be the worst mouse of all time. Here's a Youtube video of a Xerox technology demonstration from 1968 (55 years ago) which includes a mouse that has more buttons than Apple's current mouse. The Apple Mouse is more beautiful, but I think I'd rather use the mouse from 1968. (The Mouse demonstration starts at 31:00.)

edited January 2023 danoxmuthuk_vanalingamviclauyyc
  • Reply 3 of 13
    danoxdanox Posts: 2,869member
    Nice, the tragedy is that Xerox didn’t know what to do. They had almost everything that would later become the future of computing under one roof, in their research lab but the only thing that executives up food chain the cared about, was not stepping on the toes of their copying empire.

Steve Jobs was 13 years old at the time, and Steve Wozniak was 18 years old.

If that Dell monitor is built right it won’t be cheap sorry game boys quality cost.
    edited January 2023 ilarynxwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 13
    Does ugliness or beauty matter? The "Apple Magic Mouse 2" is perhaps more visually beautiful than any other mouse, but functionally it is a horrible mouse.
    Beauty, as always, is in the eye of the beholder — as is the beholder's willingness (or, sometimes, lack thereof) to pay for it. I bought an Apple Studio Display for my home because it looks more pleasing to my eye than the comparable 27-inch LG UltraFine Display that my employer had earlier purchased for my office. Dell's new 32-inch 6K UltraSharp is not particularly attractive to me with its tall forehead & webcam bulge … but if Dell is able to significantly undercut the $4300+ price of Apple's Pro Display XDR, plenty of people will buy the new Dell display even if they find it to be less pleasing to the eye than they'd like.

As for the Apple Magic Mouse, I respectfully disagree about its functionality. It has been my all-time favorite mouse since its introduction in 2009! It fits my hand perfectly; I can use it for many long hours at a time with zero discomfort; and its multi-touch capabilities are supremely useful to me (and I prefer the Magic Mouse to any trackpad). Yes, for
     the rechargeable version first introduced in 2015, I do think it was odd for Apple to put its Lightning port on the bottom — making it impossible to use it while simultaneously recharging. But the battery lasts for weeks and recharges quickly, so it doesn't really bother me — I just plug it in overnight or during a lunch break. If & when Apple introduces a Magic Mouse 3 with a USB-C port, I do hope the cable sticks out the top end like a traditional wired mouse but that they don't otherwise mess too much with what I find to be an exceptionally useful overall design.
    edited January 2023 ilarynxh4y3swatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 13
    Does ugliness or beauty matter? The "Apple Magic Mouse 2" is perhaps more visually beautiful than any other mouse, but functionally it is a horrible mouse. The irony is that Apple practically introduced the mouse to the consumer, and now they still make what could be the worst mouse of all time. Here's a Youtube video of a Xerox technology demonstration from 1968 (55 years ago) which includes a mouse that has more buttons than Apple's current mouse. The Apple Mouse is more beautiful, but I think I'd rather use the mouse from 1968. (The Mouse demonstration starts at 31:00.)

I have the Magic Mouse “1” but found I just prefer using the lower end Logitech mice,
  • Reply 6 of 13
    "Ugly AF" is 100% accurate.

Also, "blech!" The only thing missing is the option to have the monitor in "Zune Brown."

Also, it looks like it was designed by Homer Simpson. 

https://www.wired.com/2014/07/homer-simpson-car/

Comparing monitors to mice makes as much sense as comparing Granny Smith apples to steel-belted radial tires. 

Magic Mouse 2 was a very good mouse. However, if you measure a mouse merely by "number of buttons", you'll likely not like the Magic Mouse 2 (also see "Homer Simpson car" above"). 

"Does ugliness or beauty even matter?" An Apple forum is an odd place to be asking that question. I know my answer, but then, I'm happily married. 

I'm still waiting for Apple or anyone else to produce and affordable, >25", 5kmin monitor. But not that awful Dell pile. Geez that thing is hideous. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 13
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,168member
    That dell really is ugly, but very good feature wise. If it is close in price as the 27 inch ASD I reckon it will sell well. It even comes with a stand and will charge an MBP at full speed. 

I have the ultrasharp 4K equivalent and it is pretty good. Less ugly though.
    9secondkox2watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 13
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,296member
    Agreed. But I love the display specs. If they made a version that looked like this: 

https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/dell-ultrasharp-32-4k-usb-c-hub-monitor-u3223qe/apd/210-bdph/monitors-monitor-accessories#techspecs_section

I'd seriously consider it (conditional on price, of course). 

A ~32" 6k display with maximum brightness of 400-500 nits would be awesome. I don't need the XDR. I don't need a 4k webcam (especially if having one requires such extreme uglification of the monitor). 

Naturally, I'd rather buy from Apple, but Apple seems determined to make monitors that sit tantalizingly outside of the realm of reason (at least for me). 

To put it another way -- the perfect monitor for me would have the speakers and aesthetics of Apple's Studio Display, BUT:

1. increase the size to 32 inches
    2. increase the resolution to 6k
    3. swap out the camera for the one in my 2020 27" iMac (which is awesome but unobtrusive). 
    4. include height adjustability in the base price
    5. keep the base price under $2k
    9secondkox2aderutterwatto_cobrah2p
  • Reply 9 of 13
    Competition is always good. It will keep apple moving forward and not over pricing. 
    9secondkox2watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 13
    9secondkox29secondkox2 Posts: 2,727member

Wow. I’ve never read a more ignorant post. 

Yes beauty matters. So much in this world revolves around it. But besides that, your take on the Magic Mouse is ridiculous. You’ve likely never used one. Coming from the windows side years ago, I was all about the razor mice. Even some of the Microsoft and Logitech models were excellent. I used them with my macs when I switched because I didn’t like the one button apple mouse of the time. But the Magic Mouse changed all of that. I tried the first one with the scroll ball, incredibly innovative, but not quite there yet. Then the fully touch sensitive one and it was far better. The latest magic mice had me ditch the clunkier recent razer, Logitech, and Microsoft completely for an All Magic Mouse setup. The ergonomics are perfect, the functionality is perfectly and more convenient, and the speed and accuracy ate spot on. The only people who don’t prefer the Magic Mouse these days are those who 1) just plain don’t want to. Or 2) are so entrenched with other mice that they can’t get into something new. Or 3) prefer to have 20 programmable buttons on their mouse in order to avoid using the keyboard for some reason. But to say that it only looks good is just turning a blind eye to reality. 
    edited January 2023 watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 13
    9secondkox29secondkox2 Posts: 2,727member
    The Dell is hideous. But it has punch. If only they were as shameful as Samsung and just closely copy Apples design, I think it would sell really well to Mac users. As it is, the “more blinking lights” PC users don’t really seem to care much for real aesthics and would love this monitor. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 13
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,168member
    Really, the only real negative for the rest of us is that unbelievably ugly forehead and webcam.
    If you could get it without the webcam it would just be a very good upper mid range display with an impressive Thunderbolt dock.  That works perfectly resolution wise with a MacBook Pro that it can charge at full speed.
    I am thinking about the same price as the ASD. Which would be the better buy?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 13
    TRAGTRAG Posts: 53member
    entropys said:
    Really, the only real negative for the rest of us is that unbelievably ugly forehead and webcam.
    If you could get it without the webcam it would just be a very good upper mid range display with an impressive Thunderbolt dock.  That works perfectly resolution wise with a MacBook Pro that it can charge at full speed.
    I am thinking about the same price as the ASD. Which would be the better buy?
    Right?!

Looks like it is upside down...