iPhone 16 Pro rumored to get under-display Face ID

Posted:
in iPhone edited June 2023

Another report says that 2024's iPhone 16 Pro and iPhone 16 Pro Max will have an all-screen display without cutouts or the Dynamic Island thanks to some new technology.

Apple has previously been predicted to move the Face ID sensor underneath the display in the iPhone 16 Pro -- or sometimes to the iPhone 15 Pro. Now a report from The Elec, possibly extrapolated from discussions with supply chain firms, backs up the previous claims.

The Elec report acknowledges the earlier claims that an "underpanel" Face ID could be used in the iPhone 15 range, but says "it seems difficult at the moment."

Instead, the publication claims that the iPhone 16 Pro will gain the feature and leave only the camera visible on the front of the display. It will "then sequentially adopt an underpanel camera (UPC)," too.

It's not clear whether The Elec's sources mean the UPC will come with the iPhone 16 Pro, or iPhone 17 Pro. However, the publication does say that "the application principle of the underpanel [Face] ID and UPC is the same."

The development has been rumored since the early days of the iPhone X.

In April 2022, analyst Ming-Chi Kuo also predicted that the iPhone 16 Pro could move Face ID below the screen. Kuo believes that "high-end iPhones in 2024 would adopt an under-display front camera."

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    Any prediction beyond six months out is worth nothing 
    bushman4Anilu_777
  • Reply 2 of 14
    I‘m, not a dev, but having something like the dynamic island introduced as the next big thing after sliced bread, and having me pouring resources into it, only to learn that is is a stopgap solution, really could have the potential to p*ss me off. OTOH, that‘s the way tech sometimes goes, I suppose.
    edited January 2023 grandact73williamlondon
  • Reply 3 of 14
    JFC_PAJFC_PA Posts: 932member
    I‘m, not a dev, but having something like the dynamic island introduced as the next big thing after sliced bread, and having me pouring resources into it, only to learn that is is a stopgap solution, really could have the potential to p*ss me off. OTOH, that‘s the way tech sometimes goes, I suppose.
    I’m not sure it will go away: the top line information like:menu will likely still exist so why not the dynamic island? Perhaps just more flexible as it won’t be tethered to the Face ID array..,
    williamlondonStrangeDays
  • Reply 4 of 14
    In other news the iPhone 17 is rumored to have a flux capacitor to facilitate time travel. Film at 11. 
    Anilu_777Rangounchained
  • Reply 5 of 14
    Skeptical said:
    In other news the iPhone 17 is rumored to have a flux capacitor to facilitate time travel. Film at 11. 
    That‘s already reserved for the Apple Car.
    uraharaAnilu_777StrangeDays
  • Reply 6 of 14
    thttht Posts: 5,443member
    This is the 3rd or 4th year of this rumor? Wasn't in 2019 or 2020 that this rumor surfaced for the 2022 or 2023 iPhone?

The repetition in rumors is getting tiresome indeed. 
    Rangounchained
  • Reply 7 of 14
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,316member
    tht said:
    This is the 3rd or 4th year of this rumor? Wasn't in 2019 or 2020 that this rumor surfaced for the 2022 or 2023 iPhone?

The repetition in rumors is getting tiresome indeed. 
    Camera/sensor under screen rumours have been floating around since the very early in iPhone life. 15+ years now. 

Sure, Apple have applied for many patents so I guess it is an easy mark now to say to "not this but next" now. 
  • Reply 8 of 14
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    I am sure Apple is desperately trying to hide or get rid-off screen cut out for faceid and camera. It will happen in iPhone 16 or 17.
  • Reply 9 of 14
    danoxdanox Posts: 2,853member
    The end game from the beginning probably was to have no notch. The notch was put in because it was necessary evil, the tech wasn’t ready at the time but now it is.

If the notch is going to be gone, it’s upgrade time.
    edited January 2023 grandact73
  • Reply 10 of 14
    M68000M68000 Posts: 725member
    Still waiting for Apple to catch up and offer under screen Touch ID.  It’s been available for years now on android.   I know many of you think face recognition is superior.  But consider that many iPhone users would love Touch ID again, hidden under screen.
    avon b7Rangounchained
  • Reply 11 of 14
    uraharaurahara Posts: 733member
    M68000 said:
    Still waiting for Apple to catch up and offer under screen Touch ID.  It’s been available for years now on android.   I know many of you think face recognition is superior.  But consider that many iPhone users would love Touch ID again, hidden under screen.
    Many by what measure? What are the costs (financial, including writing and keeping updates for software, and physical) to produce it? Is it word it even if some people wish it?
  • Reply 12 of 14
    This rumor has been around for a few years at the same time each year. I wouldn’t put too much credibility into it
     While I’m hoping it’s true  as it would be a useful addition 
    Apple has seven patents pertaining to this technology 
  • Reply 13 of 14
    AF_HittAF_Hitt Posts: 143member
    urahara said:
    M68000 said:
    Many by what measure? What are the costs (financial, including writing and keeping updates for software, and physical) to produce it? Is it word it even if some people wish it?
    You’re just being willfully ignorant of any other company or technology out there. The ultrasonic under-screen fingerprint readers in the Galaxy S line of phones is amazingly quick and accurate, every bit as much as Touch ID on the SE or any previous Touch ID iPhone. And they’ve had them in there for multiple generations and just keep making it better. There’s literally no downside to having both Face ID and an under-display ultrasonic Touch ID. Apple could even tout it as even greater security. Not only do you need your face, but also a fingerprint.
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 14 of 14
    Never happen that quick.  While underscreen Face ID is old news on Android it’s nothing more than a hope and a prayer on Apple