MacBook Pro with OLED display rumored to arrive in 2024

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2023
Apple Analyst Ming-Chi Kuo believes that Apple plans to release a MacBook with an OLED display before the end of 2024, suggesting that the change could allow for "more diverse" form factor designs.

Credit: Apple
Credit: Apple

Utilizing OLED displays would allow for thinner and lighter MacBooks compared to their current mini-LED counterparts, Kuo explained via Twitter.

(5/6)
Compared to mini-LED, laptops that use OLEDs have the advantage of being thinner and lighter and offering more diverse form factor design options, like folding, so it has caused Apple to plan to ship the OLED MacBook by the end of 2024 at the earliest.

-- (Ming-Chi Kuo) (@mingchikuo)

While Kuo didn't mention which MacBook model would be the first with OLED, analyst Ross Young said in June that Apple would release a 13-inch OLED MacBook Air by 2024.

On Tuesday, it was learned that Apple may be planning to release an Apple Watch that features a micro LED display of its own design in the coming years.

Apple would then likely provide screens for its other devices.

As with Apple Silicon, the switch to in-house designed displays would help cut the tech giant's reliance on partners.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    jdwjdw Posts: 1,338member
    Makes zero sense to me because:

1. Apple has already implemented "mini" LED on various MacBook displays.
    2. Apple is moving away from OLED on the Apple Watch in order to implement "micro" LED.

Therefore, it seems only logical to implement "micro" LED at some point on a MBP display, not OLED!
    doozydozenwilliamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 8
    jalpseonjalpseon Posts: 2unconfirmed, member
    If they could put MicroLED in a watch, then they could put it in a MBP, MicroLED is superior to OLED in terms of brightness, longevity and efficiency; all while sporting the same properties of being self-emitting and having good contrast ratios. OLEDs would be a concern as they would begin to degrade overtime with use [Blue and red sub pixels have the shortest lifespan], which would result in diminished display brightness and color inaccuracies; not to mention the concern of burn-in with static elements in the UI.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 8
    Correct me if I’m wrong, but doesn’t OLED screens burn? Is this really smart for a computer?
    killroywatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 8
    I’m a bit shocked by this. I Wild have thought they’d be moving the direction of microLED. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 8
    harrykatsarosharrykatsaros Posts: 76unconfirmed, member
    Can we just skip all this OLED nonsense and get straight to putting microLED in everything? It’s superior to OLED in every conceivable way and has zero of the drawbacks. 
    edited January 2023 watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 8
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    If true it means that we’ll definitly upgrade my partner’s MacBook to an air sooner rather than later. Then sit on that one for a decade or so, our current MBP is a 2012. By then they should have gone to mLED. Not interested in an OLED laptop for the same reason I didn’t get a PlasmaTV; burn in. 
    h4y3swatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 8
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    DAalseth said:
    If true it means that we’ll definitly upgrade my partner’s MacBook to an air sooner rather than later. Then sit on that one for a decade or so, our current MBP is a 2012. By then they should have gone to mLED. Not interested in an OLED laptop for the same reason I didn’t get a PlasmaTV; burn in. 

The burn-in issue with Plasma TVs was exaggerated in my opinion.  I had one that lasted for 15 years.  It had minimal if any burn-in.  I had another, second hand, that did have some burn on it because their owner (a friend) had ESPN on constantly.  Even that wasn't bad, and it was made in 2010.  OLED is supposed to have fewer burn-in issues than plasma. With the features most decent displays have, burn-in should be minimal for all but the most static and bright of applications (such as restaurant menu display).  You're probably right that mLED is better, but tbh I don't know.  
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 8
    The thickness of the 14/16in display enclosures created room for a quality FaceTime camera, finally! I do not want Apple to go slim again.